Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by studentCPH
Suprised to hear this. It doesn't work for me at all, just last friday in an half empty plus cabin, there was someone in the middle seat. From his look at the middle seat, I'm guessing he didn't even specifically choose the seat himself. He moved, but this has been my experience multiple times.
I am EBG and have about 60-70 intra Europe segments/year, all in Go. Soft blocking almost always works for me and I am rarely sat next to anyone exept on fully booked flights of course. Even on almost full flights it works to an extent that keeps surprising me.

As for courtesy upgrades - that's only relevant for long haul, right?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SASegments
I am EBG and have about 60-70 intra Europe segments/year, all in Go. Soft blocking almost always works for me and I am rarely sat next to anyone exept on fully booked flights of course. Even on almost full flights it works to an extent that keeps surprising me.

As for courtesy upgrades - that's only relevant for long haul, right?
Correct with courtesy upgrades.

And it might be my fault then, as most of my recent flights I have paid for plus
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by SASegments
Uhm, have I misunderstood something or isn't soft blocking supposed to be a Diamond benefit? Several Diamonds here posting they don't see it that much but a Gold that is not supposed to have it experience it all the time? Myself I have had Diamond for several years, have had some free middle seats, but also not, difficult to be sure why.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Soft blocking is an unofficial Gold benefit. Perk provided by SAS' software (but not published)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by alibi
Soft blocking is an unofficial Gold benefit. Perk provided by SAS' software (but not published)
Ah, ok, thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
True, soft blocking on short haul seems to work quite well and the free drink benefit is nice. Also I can’t complain about the irops handling, that’s where SK really works well and status seems to help.

Also true is that in general you shouldn expect an upgrade and expect to travel in the class of service booked. BUT if an airline advertises a benefit which says „courtesy upgrade for our Diamond members on every second flight of space is available“, the I expect them to honor that. Which they clearly do not as I was on lots of flights with available space and didn’t get the upgrades.
Most of my SK flights are CPH-WAW. Soft blocking almost never works. The flights are basically too full. This is not a complaint about the EBD status, though, but more of a general rant, how many years more SK will continue to fly this route with CRJs filled to the brim on most departures, and not put a regular narrow body on it. In fact this season they cut down by 10 seats on each departure... I know off topic ...

Soft block works pretty well for me on most other flights, which usually have some capacity free in the cabin.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Yes, do not understand why they do not fly bigger birds to WAW. Also they cut rotations to WRO and GDN if I'm not mistaken. Didn't fly a lot to WRO and GDN the last two years but now starting again and have the impression some of the direct SK flights I previously used are gone. Crazy as these flights are also full all the time.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Do these upgrades for Diamonds work on award tickets (from another airlines program, i.e. booked through Avianca)?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, do not understand why they do not fly bigger birds to WAW. Also they cut rotations to WRO and GDN if I'm not mistaken. Didn't fly a lot to WRO and GDN the last two years but now starting again and have the impression some of the direct SK flights I previously used are gone. Crazy as these flights are also full all the time.
I'm not sure about Wrocław but Gdańsk has always been 4 services a day with the overall capacity which has increased significantly over the years (it is not uncommon at all to see A321s).

G
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tr3k
Do these upgrades for Diamonds work on award tickets (from another airlines program, i.e. booked through Avianca)?
It needs to be a 117 ticket issued by SK or EuroBonus. EuroBonus tickets do not qualify buy the rules but I have heard of the odd upgrade on award tickets as well.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
Does soft blocking work when flying LH (short and long haul) as EBG or is it only on SK?

I seem to remember someone referring to this as a *A benefit.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: *G
IME, softblocking as EBD works better on LH than on SK
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This is also my experience. I get soft blocks way more reliably on LH, OS, and LO than on SK.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can just create the thread Could be interesting to get people to chime in on how often there is an empty seat next to them. To see of the infamous soft block does actually exist, or it is just random coincidence.
I fly quite often on SK and I credit to A3 - almost always is the seat next to me blocked unless fully booked as *A Gold
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:08 am

- How likely is an upgrade for EBD on a TATL flight?
- Does fare matter (i.e. can one get upgraded from Go Light to Plus)?
- Does it cover only the EBD or any booking companions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.