Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Perhaps it's true and to/from CPH it is just impossible to get upgraded while at OSL and ARN there is a higher likelihood?

I'm okay flying in the cabin I payed for but what I hate is that the process is not transparent and for years I feel I'm cheated out of upgrades while others supposedly get it regularly...

Isn't that violating the law of equality for everyone as well?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fassy
Perhaps it's true and to/from CPH it is just impossible to get upgraded while at OSL and ARN there is a higher likelihood?
You should test that theorie and book your next trip through either.

Perhaps you're on the upgrade blacklist because you didn't eat your salmon on an intra-Europe flight.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
You should test that theorie and book your next trip through either.
Will actually do that. Now I'm based in HAM so it doesn't matter if I connect via FRA, MUC, LHR, CPH, ARN or OSL - as long as the timing for the feeder flights work out. Only on HAM-BOS I'm locked in on CPH (or LH/UA via FRA or LHR) since I would rather connect there then in the states.

Perhaps you're on the upgrade blacklist because you didn't eat your salmon on an intra-Europe flight.
I will NOT eat my salmon! Or the scampi or that mushy substance they call horseradish cream.

Perhaps they saw I even reject the C meal too often and assume I don't am value the product
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Have another idea why I seem to fail on upgrades...

Just checked into my flight and of course I couldn't get the boarding pass to the app as my API isn't there. As always I entered the API on the SAS website and to be sure I double checked yesterday... It was there!

Still... So I walked to the check-in Desk and the (extremely rude) check-in agent first barks at me:

What do you want? ( instead of picking up the offered passport and just check as I would expect it and it is done thousand of time)

Then:
No luggage? Really? Hmkay....

Followed by:
You are already check-in, what do you want from me?

Explained that I didn't get the boarding pass and when she looked it up - the API wasn't there. She continued to tell me that it is my fault, I should have entered... Bla bla bla

In the end I picked up my notebook and showed her that the data was entered. She just said: but it isn't here, can't see it in the system.

So it might be they don't upgrade if you don't have theAPi filled, perhaps you are not even eligible fly? Who knows?

Anyway, that API form NEVER worked for me at SK while it is perfectly fine with UA or LH

And also: the last three times the check-in agents here in CPH were really rude and mean... Almost UA FAs
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Ugh CPH, where arguing with the customer is more productive than solving their problem.

But your theory doesn't hold up with our experience. My wife has had numerous OT, points and courtesy upgrades before getting to the airport where you submit the API data through the self-check-in nodes. So if you've had other upgrades without the API data present, it shouldn't hold back courtesy upgrades.

It is disappointing that SAS still hasn't integrated this into their Apps, like BA and LX have so you have the boarding card ahead of time.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:46 am
Original Poster

But your theory doesn't hold up with our experience. My wife has had numerous OT, points and courtesy upgrades before getting to the airport where you submit the API data through the self-check-in nodes. So if you've had other upgrades without the API data present, it shouldn't hold back courtesy upgrades.
Yeah, right. For OT Upgrades I have a quite good quota. Perhaps if you OT upgrade Go->Plus you do not qualify for Plus->C via SK curtesy upgrades? Anyway, for the westbound east cost flight Plus is a good cost efficient thing as I have to work in the computer anyway and wouldn't sleep. Let's see what the way back will bring. Probably OT to C clears as usual .

It is disappointing that SAS still hasn't integrated this into their Apps, like BA and LX have so you have the boarding card ahead of time.
Works great on the UA and LH app and the website as well. The interesting question: Does the API form I the reservation page work for anybody here? As said, it shows up correctly if I pull up the booking but obviously doesn't make it to the proper API system.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:51 am

Any idea if you can further upgrade a courtesy EBD upgrade?

I.e. you book in GO, get courtesy upgraded to Plus -and then at check-in you (request) point upgrade to Biz.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:55 am

Since you get an upgrade fare, SK usually doesn't let you upgrade those again. Similar to not being able to upgrade an award ticket with points. Just a guess, I'm sure someone will try it and prove me right or wrong.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:04 am

Since you get an upgrade fare, SK usually doesn't let you upgrade those again. Similar to not being able to upgrade an award ticket with points. Just a guess, I'm sure someone will try it and prove me right or wrong.
That is what i thought - cost nothing to try in any event.
Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Anything is possible at the airport. I have upgraded award tickets with points (TYO, ORD) and cash (ARN), which should not be possible. I guess a lot depends on the load, although a paid upgrade based on an upgraded fare sounds tricky. However, anything is possible with SAS IT.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

And another flight without upgrade... Just sucks!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: SK*G
Originally Posted by fassy
And another flight without upgrade... Just sucks!
Had a 1/2 empty flight on Sun CPH-SFO but no upgrade from Plus. Maybe 7 free in C...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Ugh... I complained a bit too early. Finally got an upgrade confirmed like T-12.

Still kind of unpredictable.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Rumour: Finally: Courtesy-upgrade for Diamond & Pandion

But isn't it supposed to be unpredictable? For SAS it only makes sense if it doesn't replace your premium bookings.

A reliable upgrade every time would remove most of the incentive of booking into a higher class. You need to look at it differently. Just expect flying cargo every time and enjoy the pleasant surprise when you receive an upgrade.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic as I was just upgraded on GOT-CPH and seat blocking also works. Good day :-)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alibi
But isn't it supposed to be unpredictable? For SAS it only makes sense if it doesn't replace your premium bookings.
Agreed, an upgrade for Elite members shouldn't impact revenue bookings.

I was more thinking in terms of "why others and not me"... 1 upgrade within 20 long haul legs is kind of poor while others report a much higher quota. Or all the reports of people getting opups with a family of 5 from Go to C at check-in. Or seeing some random EBB dude getting opped up while there are dozens of EBG/EBDs on board which will not get upgraded.

I think what SK should do is just to hand out upgrade vouchers you can use for a confirmed upgrade same as e.g. LH or UA are doing and publish a upgrade and standby list like the US carriers do. That makes it predictable and fair...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.