Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Carrying poster as handluggage on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,
I soon have an flight where I need to take a poster with me, it'll be in a plastic container about 1m long and 10cm diameter.
I've never done that with SAS before and can't contact them by phone right now, so can any of you tell me if I'm likely to encounter a problem if I take this poster as handluggage? Checking it in isn't possible, unfortunately.

If it makes a difference the route is CPH-GDN on a CRJ900.

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The last time I was doing that, was about 8 years ago on a route to US. It worked. I seriously doubt you will experience any problems. It is very light, and can fit almost every, otherwise considered full, luggage storage space.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
I often see PhD students and more senior faculty members in science, technology or medicine flying with posters en route to some conference. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Technically outside the legal limits: http://www.flysas.com/en/Travel_info...Cabin_baggage/

However you should be fine. Everyone I've encountered in Scandinavia has been quite lax with that kind of minor stuff. The same goes for DY. You can probably bring a rollaboard in addition and noone will care I believe eastern Europeans, as a communism heritage, are more inclined to enforce rules, so if you want to bring it back from GDN it may possibly be more of a problem (although quite frankly I have no idea ).
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Traveling to a conference perhaps?

I go to academic conferences a few times a year, and the way I can easily identify attendees is they're all in the waiting area with poster tubes. I've never seen an airline reject them, including SK.

Personally, I just check my poster tube so it's not such a hassle walking around the airport. I use Alvin Ice Tubes since they are sturdy and in clear plastic that makes the tube less likely to be opened and searched.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:50 pm

Being a post-communist citizen, even such that have tried flying out of GDA (albeit with no poster), I am confident you will be fine. We, of course, do not know how precious your poster is, but most likely it is much less precious on the way back, so in the worst case you will just have to check it in. I believe this is unlikely, given the amount of junk I see people carrying on board in WAW.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I usually fly BA, who don't care about posters, but have twice been denied by Lufthansa - so was anxious about SAS's rules!
It doesn't looks like I have much to worry about, thanks very much for the replies! Now all I need to do is finish the poster.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
This used to be an ongoing problem for me but no longer. Now, for about the same price, the print-shop can make your poster on light fabric. It can then be rolled or folded up small enough to fit even in your carry-on!

cheers,

Henry
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:18 am

I do not know about GDN, but another trick is to use a local print shop. I have seen people doing that - sending material by email and picking up the poster in their destination town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.