Wiki Posts
Search

Immediate family

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG
Immediate family

Long time lurker, first time poster... Thanks for a great resource for the frequent flyer!

I have a question on SK lounge access policies: I am travelling with my wife, her parents, her brother + his wife. All in all we are six persons. I am the only one with SK status.

Will we be accepted into the SK lounges at ARN and/or LHR with same day SK boarding passes? I can read from the EB pages that the immediate family is accepted, but I can't find any definition of that. I guess we can try with a polite question and a smile, but it would be nice to now what we should expect.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by Saab2000
Long time lurker, first time poster... Thanks for a great resource for the frequent flyer!

I have a question on SK lounge access policies: I am travelling with my wife, her parents, her brother + his wife. All in all we are six persons. I am the only one with SK status.

Will we be accepted into the SK lounges at ARN and/or LHR with same day SK boarding passes? I can read from the EB pages that the immediate family is accepted, but I can't find any definition of that. I guess we can try with a polite question and a smile, but it would be nice to now what we should expect.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
The SK CoC defines immediate family as "your spouse or person with whom you cohabit, parents, children, sisters and brothers, grandparents, grand- children, father-, mother-, brothers-, sisters-, sons- and daughters in law." so if they go by the same definition in the lounge, they should grand you access.

In practise... I wouldn't count on it, they might use a different definition there, plus in my experience SK doesn't really know its own policies, I was quite rudely turned down from Scandinavian Lounge access on *A F-ticket, even though there website and customer service clearly indicate access.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
They only let my wife not the kids. They are weird.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
I travelled with wife, two kids, brother and his wife and two kids. We were allowed access into the Scandinavian lounge at ARN with no problems. While we had two *G card holders including one EBG, we only showed one EBG for admission).

Your experience may vary, this is just one data point.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input everyone. Interesting that the behavior seems quite random. I guess I have to turn on the charm and hope for the best...

I'll try to remember to report back what the results where!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by Saab2000
I have never, never had problems getting my very “immediate family” wife and 3 grown up children onto SKs own lounges. And the few times that I upon that have brought my parents in law (7 all in all), there was no problem either.

But there you could be in the grey zone. I have the impression (from the lounge staff) that in the grey zone, it’s their personal decision, and the lounge load factor at the time could be taken into account.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Other airline Star Golds don't as reliably get the whole "immediate family" into the SK lounges as SK*G gets -- that is when the whole family is 3 or more persons. Occasional workaround: use refundable tickets booked in the premium cabin for the other passengers.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by specialeffects
They only let my wife not the kids. They are weird.
Are you Eurobonus Gold? If not, it's normal Star Gold admission rules.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:10 am

I can not remember being denied access (as EBG) for my wife and two daugthers in any SAS lounge or any other *A lounge for that matter (UA, LH, NZ, TG and even contracted lounges). The trick is of course to ask nicely - but with confidence.

And have always been welcomed with a smile at the lounges in CPH.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:23 am
Original Poster

It seems that wife and kids are typically allowed in the SK lounges for EBG members. I would also assume that since SAS indicates that the immediate family is allowed - I guess you can't get more immediate than wife and kids. However, the little less immediate family (in-laws), seem to be up to the lounge attendants.

If we test it I will report back. However, we're not travelling together for another three months, so it will be a while...

Thanks for all replies so far! If anyone has experience from accessing SK lounges with family members other than wives and kids, I would be interested in your experiences!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
CO *gold. Never had a problem anywhere except with SK.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G, LH SEN *G, Hyatt Globalist
I have had my two sisters, my mother and dad as well as my grandmother with me into the Scandinavian Lounge at CPH as well as the lounge at ATH. I have on several occasions had my boyfrind plus one or two friends with me into the lounge at CPH.
It is my experience that at CPH the lounge accepts the rule about the family and actually goes a bit further in accommodating guest, perhaps it has been to the case that the lounge have been more or less empty the times of my visits with family.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by specialeffects
CO *gold. Never had a problem anywhere except with SK.
SK at OSLO is the primary place where I have had to play the refundable ticket premium cabin boarding pass game because they make a stink about even U2 children with their own seat. Given I have had four or five *G accounts at the times of the year where I have faced this with immediate family on the same PNR, I could perhaps just add a different *G number for at least some of the passengers, but I don't want my program accounts cluttered with incorrect info in case they mess up the account info substitution.

SK OSL tells me that EBG members are the only *Gs allowed to bring in their immediate family regardless of count.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
In fact. The (very nice) Swiss lounge at ZRH is the only place (to my knowledge) outside SKs own lounges, where the "immediate family"-rule for G-SK-members is printed in the lounge manual (and carried out that way).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NicoEBG
I have had my two sisters, my mother and dad as well as my grandmother with me into the Scandinavian Lounge at CPH as well as the lounge at ATH. I have on several occasions had my boyfrind plus one or two friends with me into the lounge at CPH.
It is my experience that at CPH the lounge accepts the rule about the family and actually goes a bit further in accommodating guest, perhaps it has been to the case that the lounge have been more or less empty the times of my visits with family.
Thanks! This makes me think that, with some luck, we'll be granted access. I guess it's up to the lounge personnel and the load situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.