Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Gay and want to be married in the sky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife

Nothing for me, but if I was gay this would be a cool thing:

In December, SAS hopes to host the world's first same-sex wedding in the air! On a flight from Stockholm to New York, we will let love take over and wed one loving couple, hopefully making it one of the world's first gay-themed flights.

The lucky couple who will spread their love worldwide will win an exclusive wedding and honeymoon package that includes Business class flights with SAS to New York, three nights at one of New York's most luxurious hotels, the W Hotel, and then flights to Los Angeles to enjoy another three nights at the fabulous Andaz West Hollywood, as well as some of the best dining, nightlife and pampering West Hollywood has to offer, resulting in a glamorous West Hollywood honeymoon experience.
http://love.flysas.net/index.php

Marketing? Absolutely, but still very Scandinavian and a good initiative imo.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
But same sex marriage is not legal in New York state.

How is this going to help SK? I guess they better be doing this over Canadian airspace !
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But same sex marriage is not legal in New York state.

How is this going to help SK? I guess they better be doing this over Canadian airspace !

I believe Swedish law applies on the flight?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harlekin
I believe Swedish law applies on the flight?
Wouldn't it be considered 'international waters' and thus not really regulated?
Either way, it can hardly be NY state laws before they touch ground, can it?

One would think they have the legality of it covered at least
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by SirRagnar
Wouldn't it be considered 'international waters' and thus not really regulated?
Either way, it can hardly be NY state laws before they touch ground, can it?

One would think they have the legality of it covered at least

According to this thread, an international flight is under the jurisdiction of the country where the plane is registered... there you have it
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/2508881
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
The official wedding cermony will take place in Stockholm before the flight, so its the party that will be onboard
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Would they announce exact date/flight in advance? Just want to make sure I'm not happen to be on the same flight...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by another_shot
Would they announce exact date/flight in advance? Just want to make sure I'm not happen to be on the same flight...
December 6th it is - at least planned.

I believe it is a great idea. From a marketing perspective this piece of news has the potential to spread wide and fast, both in the comming weeks and around the actual ceremony, which I by the way believe is taking place mid-air (as stated on their campaign site - and otherwise it would not make sense.

Would SK only have had their long wanted and planned CPH-SFO flight - it would have been perfect.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Would SK only have had their long wanted and planned CPH-SFO flight - it would have been perfect.

Hahahah... *like*
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
December 6th it is - at least planned.

I believe it is a great idea. From a marketing perspective this piece of news has the potential to spread wide and fast, both in the comming weeks and around the actual ceremony, which I by the way believe is taking place mid-air (as stated on their campaign site - and otherwise it would not make sense.
On the contrary. I'm pro same sex marriages all the way, but this is way to far out. There are still way too many people who doesn't have the same view and this can back fire on SAS. I guess most Muslims will not accept this kind of behavior as well as moderate to radical Christians and there are more of these than what you would first anticipate (religion is fantastic isn't it?). Anyway, this is not a pro/anti religious post but I'm just saying that these groups have much more "power" than what you think and therefor SAS could loose quite a few customers on a stunt like this!

It reminds me a little of EasyJet's Miss wet T-shirt competitions we saw back 10 years ago and just think of a (or any for that sake) wedding party in C flying to NYC... Maybe this is just a way for SAS to show the rest of us that they are turning into an overpriced LCC
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by SirRagnar
Nothing for me, but if I was gay this would be a cool thing:

http://love.flysas.net/index.php

Marketing? Absolutely, but still very Scandinavian and a good initiative imo.
Per the website....

Is it really a legal wedding?
It's up to you to find out if your marriage will be recognized in your country or not. If for example a same-sex marriage is not legal in your country, Swedish law will not overtake your country's law
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Per the website....

Is it really a legal wedding?
It's up to you to find out if your marriage will be recognized in your country or not. If for example a same-sex marriage is not legal in your country, Swedish law will not overtake your country's law
I remember when there was the World Outgames (Olympics for gays) here in Copenhagen last year, there were hundreds of people from outside Denmark that were married in church here, because it was illegal where they came from.

I don't think they care too much if it is legal or not in their own country
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Already legally married in Sweden. I'm a American and Mr. Flyiboy is Swedish . I don't like when companies exploit for their gain.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
I don't like when companies exploit for their gain.
It's marketing for SAS, no doubt, but it is also marketing for more rights for gay people when a big company like SAS promotes same-sex marriage, so I would say both parties gain something from this promotion.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: Most of them...
Originally Posted by Cupart
On the contrary. I'm pro same sex marriages all the way, but this is way to far out. There are still way too many people who doesn't have the same view and this can back fire on SAS.
Exactly. This is indeed very Scandinavian - in the sense of imposing their "politically correct" views on everybody.

Now I have one more reason to prefer other airlines over SAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.