Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Observations on the San Francisco metro area currently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Observations on the San Francisco metro area currently?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest
i was so happy to see so many tourists on Tuesday. These people spend money to visit San Francisco.

i took Bart to union square and then walked to 450 Sutter.

I met my bestie at 450 Sutter. Supposedly the dentist. I bet it was an eye job. Zero proof. Then we walked to our luncheon at Uno Dos.
Well, there are other types of medical professionals in that building. But that address does have a reputation! Is there such another large building in the USA where a fair percentage of the population will first think plastic surgeon when hearing the address?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My dentist is located in the building (along with many others). 390 Post is also a medical building. Never heard anything about plastic surgeons but then that's not my area of expertise LOL
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Boraxo
My dentist is located in the building (along with many others). 390 Post is also a medical building. Never heard anything about plastic surgeons but then that's not my area of expertise LOL
they probably are listed as DDS in the building directories. Those who know just know :-)
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Those people will full facial bandages in the elevator didn't just have a root canal

Just to make sure it wasn't a "one off" or "two off" prior to posting, I did google 450 Sutter San Francisco. A multitude! No personal experience. After all, I'd have to pass through the anarchy of Oakland just to get to and from.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:28 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Those people will full facial bandages in the elevator didn't just have a root canal

Just to make sure it wasn't a "one off" or "two off" prior to posting, I did google 450 Sutter San Francisco. A multitude! No personal experience. After all, I'd have to pass through the anarchy of Oakland just to get to and from.
We can talk about 450 next time I see you.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Don't want to hijack the conversation/discussion here, just wanted to mention that after coming back to the US I did try to put down my thoughts and observations in a separate thread on topic 'what has changed in the last 10-15 years in the US':

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...s-changed.html

The thread was opened in Travelbuzz, but not surprisingly was moved to OMNI.

Visconti and others - I would appreciate it if you take the time to read at least the first post and see if these observations have some merit.

Thanks
Hey Invisible.

Sorry, I was away from FT for a while and hadn't been able to read this thread until now. I'm kind of late but will provide some of views on your post.
Regarding travel - pretty much everything got considerably more expensive. Like 3x more expensive for flights/hotels. Recently came from 8 days in Maui and it was my most expensive trip ever, even when I booked the flight with miles. When Holiday Inn is asking $400/night for a room, you should suspect that something is not right.
This has been a trend since the recovery from the 2008 credit crisis, and continued on a measured pace until the pandemic triggered an almost unabated price increases. For whatever reason, I’ve never felt compelled to vacation or visit Hawaii—the whole island paradise thing just isn’t my cup of tea. During family vacations to Hawaii, I always managed to find some kind of excuse, usually work related, to get out of it. However, during the pandemic I had run out of excuses and finally did take a family vacation there—out of desperation—and I was utterly stunned by the prices. Hyatt Regency/Places/Centrics were asking $500 or so for a regular room? I found those prices so utterly absurd as to make the Four Seasons a relative bargain, much to my families, especially my youngest daughter’s, delight.

In addition of travel costs going up, quality went down - seems the thing called 'basic economy' with airlines is the mainstream now when people buy tickets without assigned seats or any luggage allowance. I am very familiar with this concept with Asian LCCs, but there you have been paying $10-$40 for 1-3h flight, knowing what to expect and you have been provided with barebone, but very efficient service and here it will cost you 10x more...
I still recall a conversation I had with an AS CSR who advised me to never book a Saver ticket. LOL…I think that was very good advice. For most of my life, I’ve always felt when it comes to flying and hotels, the experience here Stateside has always been underwhelming. I mean, one flight on an Asian airline and hotel stay in SE Asia will vividly knock home that point. But, yes, with the pandemic it gave the industry an excuse to pare down even more, where I find domestic lodging costs and air travel amongst some of the worst value propositions when compared to, say, SE Asia.

Portland and San Francisco turned into dumps. Homeless tents everywhere, and one generally does not feel safe to be on a street - I cut my visit short in both places after several hours. People told me that using BART after daylight is not safe - I don't remember ever this to be the case in the past.
Even some of my more liberal minded fellow San Franciscans whom I term the Fantasy Island brigade (I use this term in the most affectionate sense), have to admit, if only privately, the situation here in central SF has spiraled out of control. Open drug dealing, rampant homelessness and petty crime that’s tolerated has become so deeply entrenched that it’ll likely take years if not decades to reverse. Recalling our prior DA was a good first step, and we can only hope the new one will put some iron in the glove, sort to speak.

And contractors charging so much - a friend of mine works at Google for >10 years and he says that a handyman/contractor charges more per hour than he is making. We want to do a minor remodeling at our house and people are telling us that now we should expect to pay about 2.5x-3x more than in 2017 for example - making the whole idea a non-starter.
Ah, just bad timing, I suppose. Combination of a once in a lifetime pandemic, inflation, out of control commodity prices and supply destruction will do that, but, generally, these situations aren’t permanent or sustainable. I suspect that now we’ll start seeing a regression to the mean on some of these prices and what contractors may be able to ask. In my view, you’ll see this realignment sooner than later. But, it’s not helpful when you’re in the middle of it and need something fixed or built.

What is new... you definitely see a lot of electric cars in Bay Area/California. At every mall/supermarket you will see electric car chargers but it seems half of them are broken and you will see people waiting for their slot. I love the idea of an electric car but unless this problem is addressed, I don't see how this can be scaled and we get decarbonized. Even at Tesla superchargers there are lines.
Ah, this is certainly the Tesla capital of the world, I’d imagine. While I can appreciate the effort to shift to electric vehicles, the whole thing’s above my pay grade, and I really don’t have any strong views on the matter, aside from the fact that I’m a huge motor sports fan and will always have my gas guzzling 10 miles to the gallon sports cars. For me, TSLA is like FB, buy the stock, sell it when it’s over, but never use the product/service.

Mobility/'great resignation' - yes, suddenly it was released that you don't need to be in the office to do your job. A bunch of people moved due to this to places they wanted to live, not where they had to. Well, the result is that RE prices again went thru roof...
This is a trend that has been far stickier than I had anticipated, and, frankly, has been one of the more challenging issues to navigate. As we’ve touched on this in the past, while the great WFH may be viable for many industries, it just isn’t when it comes to mine. We’ve made a concerted effort to return people to the office but have been met with, surprisingly, immense resistance. It’s been almost 3 years, and now that the pandemic is behind us, at least in my industry, you’re going to see mandates to return. We’ll have to see how it works out during this turn.

Internet speeds…
LOL…yeah, no comparison with SE Asia. I suppose, the advantage of not being encumbered by legacy telecom infrastructure allowing for the fresh implementation of fiber optics has its advantages. As with you, I’m looking forward to ultimately wide and readily available satellite access for everyone.

It is clearly visible to me that the gap in income levels within the society continues to increase as well as the concentration of wealth within certain social groups/professions. I mean that 20 years ago you had a few anecdotes of dot-com millionaires, but now it seems to me that it is the whole new class there.
Ah, America in a nutshell, more or less. You have winners and losers and often these results are dictated by what society determines, rightly or wrongly, as the monetary value of a product/service one provides. In my view, it’s not good, bad, right, wrong, but just the free market system at play. All I know is that the choices we make dictates the life we lead. In other words, if one doesn’t want to be poor, don’t major in Philosophy, but take solace in the fact that if you did, you’ll at least know the reason why you’re poor.

If the above trend continues, we might be not too far away from the society shown in the first season of Altered Carbon, where some literally live above clouds in their own skyscrapers. BTW, in SEA counties income inequality is one of the things you soon notice after arrival - people who are >80 years old and have to continue working low-income jobs to support themselves...
Ah, I’m from Gen X and Pres Reagan had an immense influence on me, and I suspect many in my generation. I just try to simply things and focus on what I can control, take care of my family and just leave the rest with higher pay grades and much wiser than I. It’s worked out pretty well for me. I suppose, the best thing about America is that one is free to ignore things; and, I suppose, the worst thing about America is also one is free to ignore things. There isn’t a perfect system.

I did read your post in its entirety and agree with much of what you’ve posited. I suspect that my views here are overwhelmingly unpopular here on FT especially in this corner of it, but that’s ok—at least, it is with me and I suspect with you.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Even some of my more liberal minded fellow San Franciscans whom I term the Fantasy Island brigade (I use this term in the most affectionate sense), have to admit, if only privately, the situation here in central SF has spiraled out of control. Open drug dealing, rampant homelessness and petty crime that’s tolerated has become so deeply entrenched that it’ll likely take years if not decades to reverse. Recalling our prior DA was a good first step, and we can only hope the new one will put some iron in the glove, sort to speak.
The more you talk to people around here, the more you might find that the current public face of politics and especially the media portrayal of same isn't representative of the public as a whole. My professional and social circles tend to be left of center, of a myriad of races and identities, and for the most part, most of us, most of the time, want good policing, want safe streets, want all the glass breaking and other quality of life crimes to diminish, don't want to see people shooting up on the streets or on public transit, are fed up with ever-catching-fire camps, and know that just giving free stuff to people all the time isn't going to result in any long term solution to anything.

I'm reminded of what I used to hear about NYC while growing up in LA - full of NY transplants, hearing about what a filthy crime-ridden dangerous dump - hearing so much of it had a profound impact on me for years, never wanting to go, and it became one of my favo(u)rite destinations. I trust that SF will return to its former "glory" again - just note that SF has always had a grit about it and always will. Outside of the Financial District and Civic Center, methinks the City is doing pretty well now, as is most of the SF Bay Area.
SPN Lifer, nnn and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Hey Invisible.
Ah, this is certainly the Tesla capital of the world, I’d imagine. While I can appreciate the effort to shift to electric vehicles, the whole thing’s above my pay grade, and I really don’t have any strong views on the matter, aside from the fact that I’m a huge motor sports fan and will always have my gas guzzling 10 miles to the gallon sports cars. For me, TSLA is like FB, buy the stock, sell it when it’s over, but never use the product/service.
^^^ This. I stopped shorting TSLA (as a famous investor said, can't fight the market) but I think that time is coming soon. The market is very limited beyond the folks that have them now and I know many that will never give up their gas guzzling luxury vehicles.

Outside of the Financial District and Civic Center, methinks the City is doing pretty well now, as is most of the SF Bay Area.
That depends on your definition of "doing well." Are the streets bustling and restaurants full? For sure. But quality of life is pretty bad by other indicators such as public school ratings, burglary and auto theft rates, addicts and mentally ill homeless camped out in every neighborhood business district. SF has fewer children than any other major city in the country, a testament to the qualify of life for families. Real estate market is starting to tank due to interest rates and the tech options tanking.

Mayor and DA are taking baby steps in the right direction, but don't have the clout (or inclination) to do what is necessary to provide long term solutions. The wealthy (Benioff etc) are happy to donate millions but it is all wasted on city bureaucrats and handouts.

Short term it will be devastating if the tech economy continue to stagnate with layoffs and plunging stock prices, as the state coffers are heavily dependent on tech bros exercising options. The housing market is seeing that real time, income tax receipts are a lagging indicator. Long term it will be interesting to see what happens as more companies relo to more affordable states and the wealthy baby boomers die off. Will their offspring stay in California? Most everyone I know is giving up on this state. I loved living in SF in the 2000s but I've now spent enough time elsewhere to know that weather and history aren't everything.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 11, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:54 pm

The more you talk to people around here, the more you might find that the current public face of politics and especially the media portrayal of same isn't representative of the public as a whole. My professional and social circles tend to be left of center, of a myriad of races and identities, and for the most part, most of us, most of the time, want good policing, want safe streets, want all the glass breaking and other quality of life crimes to diminish, don't want to see people shooting up on the streets or on public transit, are fed up with ever-catching-fire camps, and know that just giving free stuff to people all the time isn't going to result in any long term solution to anything.
While not making any observations or comments regarding your friends, I have found mine here in SF to be afflicted with what could only be characterized as willful blindness. Not that I'd ever defend Boudin, but the dude did basically did what he said he would. So, the people who voted for him didn't really understand the price for "justice reform"? Or, they just wanted to virtual signal but not really pay the price for it? Or, had a sudden change of heart when they realized there was a moral hazard to go soft on criminals?

Justice reform is about letting criminals go free. I mean, anyone for one second really believed someone such as Boudin could pull this off?
Boraxo, LETTERBOY and ewoo like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are people going from Sf / California? Now that we have AC for the 75-degree days of hell, it’s really hard for me to not stay here.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:45 pm
mjm
Original Member

Where are people going from Sf / California? Now that we have AC for the 75-degree days of hell, it’s really hard for me to not stay here.
Personally, London, then Tokyo. Not even a close comparison to what I left behind in the City.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Personally, London, then Tokyo. Not even a close comparison to what I left behind in the City.
great places. Just don’t get accused of committing a crime there because you’ll be on remand without much chance of a bail hearing.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:23 am
mjm
Original Member

great places. Just don’t get accused of committing a crime there because you’ll be on remand without much chance of a bail hearing.
Commit a crime? The most egregious thing I am likely to do is put ham in my Matzos Brei.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Commit a crime? The most egregious thing I am likely to do is put ham in my Matzos Brei.
Oy gevalt. Such a shonda. Although pastrami and cheese matzo brei does sound pretty good Although this new place in Berkeley https://www.delirama.com/ seems to have potential, and who knows, maybe will have such a menu item next Pesach. (The menu part of the website doesn't seem to be fully functional).
mjm and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:36 am
mjm
Original Member

Oy gevalt. Such a shonda. Although pastrami and cheese matzo brei does sound pretty good Although this new place in Berkeley https://www.delirama.com/ seems to have potential, and who knows, maybe will have such a menu item next Pesach. (The menu part of the website doesn't seem to be fully functional).
On my list now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.