FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Tragic auto accident at International Arrivals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1976502-tragic-auto-accident-international-arrivals.html)

dhuey Jul 2, 2019 12:07 pm

Tragic auto accident at International Arrivals

Yesterday afternoon:

1 Dead, 2 Seriously Injured In Multi-Vehicle Crash At SFO’s International Terminal
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...onal-terminal/

Early indication is not intentional and no driver impairment. Still, terribly sad. Be careful out there when driving/walking around what are usually hectic loading zones.

gaobest Jul 2, 2019 1:32 pm

Omg how awful! Those poor people.

squeakr Jul 4, 2019 10:40 am

News reports indicate unfamiliarity with the car

According to local news, the driver was not familiar with the car controls and press the gas instead of the brake and accelerated. So sad.

trooper Jul 4, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 31269285)
According to local news, the driver was not familiar with the car controls and press the gas instead of the brake and accelerated. So sad.

When was the last time ANY car was built with gas and brake pedals different to todays standard? Ford Model T? What a tragic and unnecessary thing to happen....

Boraxo Jul 4, 2019 7:51 pm

Unfortunately this was inevitable. Every time I exit SFO I see horrible driving - cars not slowing for pedestrians, drivers looking at cellphones, Uber and Lyft drivers distracted, etc. More than a few times I could have been hit by one of these drivers who ignore crosswalks and common courtesy.

Moving rideshare pickups to the parking garage should help to eliminate some of these morons and improve traffic flow. But still I would be very careful if you have to cross to/from the median sidewalks to catch a limo or shuttle.

Eastbay1K Jul 5, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 31270499)
When was the last time ANY car was built with gas and brake pedals different to todays standard? Ford Model T? What a tragic and unnecessary thing to happen....

I've never driven in a Right Hand Drive vehicle, but are the gas/brake reversed, or the same?

TWA884 Jul 5, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31272249)
I've never driven in a Right Hand Drive vehicle, but are the gas/brake reversed, or the same?

Same.

trooper Jul 5, 2019 6:42 pm

All modern cars have the same configuration. Clutch on the left, Brake in the middle, Accelerator on the right. Imagine how difficult it would be for travellers if that was NOT the case! Eeek!

Toshbaf Jul 5, 2019 9:45 pm

But the turn signals are variable. In LHD cars (US, for example), the turn signals control/directional indicator lever is on the left. In RHD cars (UK, for example), sometimes it's on the right. Occasionally it's on the left. Be prepared to see your windshield wipers wipe in the RHD car when you think you are signaling.

I 've seen at least one car originally designed for the LHD market. The hood (bonnet) release is on the left where the driver is. Fine. However, on RHD versions of the car, it is still on the left so the front passenger controls it. The driver either reaches over or asks the passenger to open the engine compartment.

CDTraveler Jul 6, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31274050)
But the turn signals are variable. In LHD cars (US, for example), the turn signals control/directional indicator lever is on the left. In RHD cars (UK, for example), sometimes it's on the right. Occasionally it's on the left. Be prepared to see your windshield wipers wipe in the RHD car when you think you are signaling.

I 've seen at least one car originally designed for the LHD market. The hood (bonnet) release is on the left where the driver is. Fine. However, on RHD versions of the car, it is still on the left so the front passenger controls it. The driver either reaches over or asks the passenger to open the engine compartment.

It's not just what market the car was made for. I recently switched from German made VW product to Korean made car made for US market and the wiper control and turn signals in the Korean car are opposite of the German made car.

dhuey Jul 7, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 31273727)
All modern cars have the same configuration. Clutch on the left, Brake in the middle, Accelerator on the right. Imagine how difficult it would be for travellers if that was NOT the case! Eeek!

For a long time I owned standard transmissions cars. There were a few times when I drove an unfamiliar automatic transmission car when I inadvertently pressed the brake with my left foot, rather than an imaginary clutch. Still, the throttle is in the same position either way. I don't understand how this would happen, but then again we humans sometimes make inexplicable mistakes.

lhrsfo Jul 8, 2019 6:01 am

Fortunately such mistakes are very rare. Roll on the development of autonomous cars to try to eliminate such human weaknesses.