Tragic auto accident at International Arrivals

Old Jul 2, 19, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Yesterday afternoon:

1 Dead, 2 Seriously Injured In Multi-Vehicle Crash At SFO’s International Terminal
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...onal-terminal/

Early indication is not intentional and no driver impairment. Still, terribly sad. Be careful out there when driving/walking around what are usually hectic loading zones.
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Omg how awful! Those poor people.
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
News reports indicate unfamiliarity with the car

According to local news, the driver was not familiar with the car controls and press the gas instead of the brake and accelerated. So sad.
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
According to local news, the driver was not familiar with the car controls and press the gas instead of the brake and accelerated. So sad.
When was the last time ANY car was built with gas and brake pedals different to todays standard? Ford Model T? What a tragic and unnecessary thing to happen....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Unfortunately this was inevitable. Every time I exit SFO I see horrible driving - cars not slowing for pedestrians, drivers looking at cellphones, Uber and Lyft drivers distracted, etc. More than a few times I could have been hit by one of these drivers who ignore crosswalks and common courtesy.

Moving rideshare pickups to the parking garage should help to eliminate some of these morons and improve traffic flow. But still I would be very careful if you have to cross to/from the median sidewalks to catch a limo or shuttle.
Visconti, squeakr, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
When was the last time ANY car was built with gas and brake pedals different to todays standard? Ford Model T? What a tragic and unnecessary thing to happen....
I've never driven in a Right Hand Drive vehicle, but are the gas/brake reversed, or the same?
Old Jul 5, 19, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I've never driven in a Right Hand Drive vehicle, but are the gas/brake reversed, or the same?
Same.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ *G
All modern cars have the same configuration. Clutch on the left, Brake in the middle, Accelerator on the right. Imagine how difficult it would be for travellers if that was NOT the case! Eeek!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS DL
But the turn signals are variable. In LHD cars (US, for example), the turn signals control/directional indicator lever is on the left. In RHD cars (UK, for example), sometimes it's on the right. Occasionally it's on the left. Be prepared to see your windshield wipers wipe in the RHD car when you think you are signaling.

I 've seen at least one car originally designed for the LHD market. The hood (bonnet) release is on the left where the driver is. Fine. However, on RHD versions of the car, it is still on the left so the front passenger controls it. The driver either reaches over or asks the passenger to open the engine compartment.
Old Jul 6, 19, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
But the turn signals are variable. In LHD cars (US, for example), the turn signals control/directional indicator lever is on the left. In RHD cars (UK, for example), sometimes it's on the right. Occasionally it's on the left. Be prepared to see your windshield wipers wipe in the RHD car when you think you are signaling.

I 've seen at least one car originally designed for the LHD market. The hood (bonnet) release is on the left where the driver is. Fine. However, on RHD versions of the car, it is still on the left so the front passenger controls it. The driver either reaches over or asks the passenger to open the engine compartment.
It's not just what market the car was made for. I recently switched from German made VW product to Korean made car made for US market and the wiper control and turn signals in the Korean car are opposite of the German made car.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
All modern cars have the same configuration. Clutch on the left, Brake in the middle, Accelerator on the right. Imagine how difficult it would be for travellers if that was NOT the case! Eeek!
For a long time I owned standard transmissions cars. There were a few times when I drove an unfamiliar automatic transmission car when I inadvertently pressed the brake with my left foot, rather than an imaginary clutch. Still, the throttle is in the same position either way. I don't understand how this would happen, but then again we humans sometimes make inexplicable mistakes.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Fortunately such mistakes are very rare. Roll on the development of autonomous cars to try to eliminate such human weaknesses.

Search this Thread