FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Is there no Starbucks at SFO T3 airside? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1943183-there-no-starbucks-sfo-t3-airside.html)

mapu Nov 30, 2018 9:13 am

Is there no Starbucks at SFO T3 airside?

Suffered through a cup of Peet’s “coffee” this morning and don’t want to experience that again. Thanks

nnn Nov 30, 2018 11:28 am

Wow. Them's fighting words in San Francisco.

But in any event, I believe the answer is no. SFO's airside eateries are generally locally owned AFAIK, and Starbucks is not.

Eastbay1K Nov 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 30484329)
Wow. Them's fighting words in San Francisco.

But in any event, I believe the answer is no. SFO's airside eateries are generally locally owned AFAIK, and Starbucks is not.

Unlike Peet's, owned by that hometown German conglomerate.

nnn Nov 30, 2018 5:39 pm

In fairness, Peet's has been at the airport longer than that. I assume the airport locations are franchised anyway, but don't know.

DELee Dec 1, 2018 1:02 am

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 30484329)

Then what's the Burger King doing in the Terminal?

Sheesh.

David

squeakr Dec 1, 2018 12:15 pm

Local francisees are allowed to have chain restos

And the BK was before the push for locally owned and operated eats.

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 30486484)
Then what's the Burger King doing in the Terminal?

Sheesh.

David

dhuey Dec 4, 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30484878)
Unlike Peet's, owned by that hometown German conglomerate.

You probably know that we both live near the original Peet's location. Kinda cute how many locals incorrectly believe that this is still a local business. I love Peet's, but I don't see why anyone would choose them over Starbucks for any reason other than the product offerings.

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 30498534)
You probably know that we both live near the original Peet's location. Kinda cute how many locals incorrectly believe that this is still a local business. I love Peet's, but I don't see why anyone would choose them over Starbucks for any reason other than the product offerings.

Yes, but you look down at it, and I look up to it. ;)

ryw Dec 5, 2018 6:44 pm

There is a Starbucks pre-security in T3, if you really need to, you could pop out and go back in. At least there's an option at SFO - it looks like the new OAK concessions will remove all of the airport's Starbucks to be replaced with Peet's and other coffee options. (Despite the global ownership of Peet's, Peet's HQ is still located in the East Bay, in Emeryville - while not locally-owned anymore, they still do have a local presence).

dhuey Dec 5, 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 30503500)
(Despite the global ownership of Peet's, Peet's HQ is still located in the East Bay, in Emeryville - while not locally-owned anymore, they still do have a local presence).

Fair enough, but "I like to support large foreign companies that locate their divisional HQ in my metro area" doesn't sound as compelling as "I support local businesses."

lhrsfo Dec 7, 2018 3:17 am

At the risk of further tilting this thread towards OMNI/PR, it's a perfect expression of the inherent contradictions of localism in a globalized world.

And I simply cannot understand why someone would want a Starbucks at all, let alone when a Peets is available.

Eastbay1K Dec 7, 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 30508273)
At the risk of further tilting this thread towards OMNI/PR, it's a perfect expression of the inherent contradictions of localism in a globalized world.

And I simply cannot understand why someone would want a Starbucks at all, let alone when a Peets is available.

The same reason that someone would want a McD's when a burger you consider superior at a similar price is available. The same reason why someone might throw a Pepsi (your personal favorite) at your face if you served it, but think Coke is the greatest beverage on earth. For me, I don't love the drip coffee of either, but either will do. All things being equal, the one with the shorter line. I certainly wouldn't go landside for it. There is another *bux landside in T2.

skywardhunter Dec 7, 2018 9:55 am

If you want good coffee what are you planning to buy at SB?

malgudi Dec 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 30483794)
Suffered through a cup of Peet’s “coffee” this morning and don’t want to experience that again. Thanks

Suffered and Peet's in the same sentence? That's a first!

There's no Starsucks, for good reason ;)

mstraveler Dec 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Regarding the actual coffee issue, my parents each had a "saying" that applies here, politics of airports and life aside:

"there's no accounting for taste"
"that's what makes horse races"