Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Is there no Starbucks at SFO T3 airside?

Is there no Starbucks at SFO T3 airside?

Old Nov 30, 18, 9:13 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SNA
Programs: UA 1K, HH DIA
Posts: 1,780
Is there no Starbucks at SFO T3 airside?

Suffered through a cup of Peet’s “coffee” this morning and don’t want to experience that again. Thanks
mapu is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 11:28 am
  #2  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 2,951
Wow. Them's fighting words in San Francisco.

But in any event, I believe the answer is no. SFO's airside eateries are generally locally owned AFAIK, and Starbucks is not.
TWA884 and ryw like this.
nnn is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:43 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,585
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Wow. Them's fighting words in San Francisco.

But in any event, I believe the answer is no. SFO's airside eateries are generally locally owned AFAIK, and Starbucks is not.
Unlike Peet's, owned by that hometown German conglomerate.
freeagent likes this.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:39 pm
  #4  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 2,951
In fairness, Peet's has been at the airport longer than that. I assume the airport locations are franchised anyway, but don't know.
nnn is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:02 am
  #5  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,557
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
But in any event, I believe the answer is no. SFO's airside eateries are generally locally owned AFAIK, and Starbucks is not.
Then what's the Burger King doing in the Terminal?

Sheesh.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Dec 1, 18, 12:15 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Francisco CA
Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Posts: 10,551
Local francisees are allowed to have chain restos

And the BK was before the push for locally owned and operated eats.

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Then what's the Burger King doing in the Terminal?

Sheesh.

David
nnn likes this.
squeakr is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:47 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,196
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Unlike Peet's, owned by that hometown German conglomerate.
You probably know that we both live near the original Peet's location. Kinda cute how many locals incorrectly believe that this is still a local business. I love Peet's, but I don't see why anyone would choose them over Starbucks for any reason other than the product offerings.
dhuey is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 1:58 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,585
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
You probably know that we both live near the original Peet's location. Kinda cute how many locals incorrectly believe that this is still a local business. I love Peet's, but I don't see why anyone would choose them over Starbucks for any reason other than the product offerings.
Yes, but you look down at it, and I look up to it.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 6:44 pm
  #9  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Posts: 652
There is a Starbucks pre-security in T3, if you really need to, you could pop out and go back in. At least there's an option at SFO - it looks like the new OAK concessions will remove all of the airport's Starbucks to be replaced with Peet's and other coffee options. (Despite the global ownership of Peet's, Peet's HQ is still located in the East Bay, in Emeryville - while not locally-owned anymore, they still do have a local presence).
ryw is offline  
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:00 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 43,196
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
(Despite the global ownership of Peet's, Peet's HQ is still located in the East Bay, in Emeryville - while not locally-owned anymore, they still do have a local presence).
Fair enough, but "I like to support large foreign companies that locate their divisional HQ in my metro area" doesn't sound as compelling as "I support local businesses."
dhuey is offline  
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:17 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 7,988
At the risk of further tilting this thread towards OMNI/PR, it's a perfect expression of the inherent contradictions of localism in a globalized world.

And I simply cannot understand why someone would want a Starbucks at all, let alone when a Peets is available.
ryw and GFrye like this.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:53 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,585
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
At the risk of further tilting this thread towards OMNI/PR, it's a perfect expression of the inherent contradictions of localism in a globalized world.

And I simply cannot understand why someone would want a Starbucks at all, let alone when a Peets is available.
The same reason that someone would want a McD's when a burger you consider superior at a similar price is available. The same reason why someone might throw a Pepsi (your personal favorite) at your face if you served it, but think Coke is the greatest beverage on earth. For me, I don't love the drip coffee of either, but either will do. All things being equal, the one with the shorter line. I certainly wouldn't go landside for it. There is another *bux landside in T2.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:55 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,664
If you want good coffee what are you planning to buy at SB?
GFrye and downinit like this.
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Dec 11, 18, 12:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,120
Originally Posted by mapu View Post
Suffered through a cup of Peet’s “coffee” this morning and don’t want to experience that again. Thanks
Suffered and Peet's in the same sentence? That's a first!

There's no Starsucks, for good reason
downinit likes this.
malgudi is offline  
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:10 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco
Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Posts: 1,134
Regarding the actual coffee issue, my parents each had a "saying" that applies here, politics of airports and life aside:

"there's no accounting for taste"
"that's what makes horse races"
rickg523 likes this.
mstraveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread