Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Hotel room for less than $100/night in SF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

This will be from 30 November to 7 December. Is it possible to get a simple room in SF for less than $100/night?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like Hosteling International downtown has some $99 private rooms with shared bath.
https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/califo...cisco/downtown
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Does it have to be within San Francisco proper, or can you do a neighboring city and take BART/Uber into the city?

Edit: A quick search of Hotwire shows several 3 stars under $100 and some 4 stars under $120 within the city. If there's no chance of canceling the trip I would go that route.

Last edited by Lost; Nov 4, 2017 at 8:41 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd look at suburban hotels near BART stations. Downtown Oakland could be cheaper too, but you might not want to stay there.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd look at suburban hotels near BART stations. Downtown Oakland could be cheaper too, but you might not want to stay there.
Downtown Oakland has a serious shortage of rooms, is likely not available at the $100, and is at least as safe as much of SF.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Don’t forget that, if you stay outside SF, you have to pay for transport into SF. Assuming you ascribe some value to your time, then generally you would be better off going the Hotwire route and staying in SF, despite the higher taxes, than staying 45-60 minutes’ commute away.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
If you use an online booking site to search, using the parameters (location, dates, price range) you have given, you will very likely turn up some results that meet your requirements.

So, have you done such a search, and you are actually asking for recommendations on which hotels are best, or at least acceptable?

Or, if you have not done any such searches, why not?

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:19 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
And if you’re willing to take some risk you can look at Priceline express deals

If you do your homework and you’re willing to live with any hotel with the star rating Priceline gives, you might be able to snag something. I’m assuming this is for two people – if it’s more than two I think $100 or less a night is very unlikely.

You also might check out Airbnb – there were some recent problems but it looks like Airbnb has agreed to conform with the various laws and statutes that SF has set up for Airbnb hosts.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:01 am

The Travlodge is $83 a night

https://www.hotels.com/ho206461/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

I ride by it every day and I see drug dealers in the parking lot, but it looks pretty safe and they always seem polite. You are right at Market and Valencia, so right in the middle of everything.

Surf Motel. This is a completely safe neighborhood- I would stay here:

https://www.hotels.com/ho302354/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

Presidio Inn as well

https://www.hotels.com/ho196376/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

Days Inn is legit.
https://www.hotels.com/ho129533/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

La Luna Inn

Anything on Lombard.

Stay away from anything that says Civic Center. Choose SOMA at your own risk.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
The Travlodge is $83 a night

https://www.hotels.com/ho206461/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

I ride by it every day and I see drug dealers in the parking lot, but it looks pretty safe and they always seem polite. You are right at Market and Valencia, so right in the middle of everything.

Surf Motel. This is a completely safe neighborhood- I would stay here:

https://www.hotels.com/ho302354/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

Presidio Inn as well

https://www.hotels.com/ho196376/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

Days Inn is legit.
https://www.hotels.com/ho129533/?q-c...=7&ZSX=0&SYE=2

La Luna Inn

Anything on Lombard.

Stay away from anything that says Civic Center. Choose SOMA at your own risk.
First time I was in SFO for a conference I stayed at the HI Civic Centre on 8th Street. It wasn't too bad a walk along market to the Moscone but I'm glad I got advice here first as otherwise I would have taken a walk along Mission and Howard St at some point.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Anything on Lombard.
That's where I steer budget-conscious friends when they visit. Lombard from the Presidio to Van Ness. Basic motor inn accommodations, but safe and in a good location for tourists. Many include parking (a really big plus in SF). Lots of good restaurants and pubs within walking distance.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by squeakr

If you do your homework and you’re willing to live with any hotel with the star rating Priceline gives, you might be able to snag something. I’m assuming this is for two people – if it’s more than two I think $100 or less a night is very unlikely.

You also might check out Airbnb – there were some recent problems but it looks like Airbnb has agreed to conform with the various laws and statutes that SF has set up for Airbnb hosts.
I find that Hotwire works better than Priceline NYOP for San Francisco, both from a total price perspective as well as being able to have a much better idea of what will end up being booked. It wasn't always this way, but it's been that way for me the past couple of years.

There are times where buying points to redeem for hotel stays can also be a way to get hotel costs down to around the $100/night level in San Francisco.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are times where buying points to redeem for hotel stays can also be a way to get hotel costs down to around the $100/night level in San Francisco.
Do you have any examples? I've always found for major cities that points are a horrible deal for anything low-end (and $100 would be super low-end for SF)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Do you have any examples? I've always found for major cities that points are a horrible deal for anything low-end (and $100 would be super low-end for SF)
Best Western, for example, at times. Wyndham at times.

I still find Choice points work well for some cities that have higher residential apartment sale prices per square foot than Manhattan, but not in the US.

And then at times the airline points purchases work well too.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Best Western, for example, at times. Wyndham at times.

I still find Choice points work well for some cities that have higher residential apartment sale prices per square foot than Manhattan, but not in the US.

And then at times the airline points purchases work well too.
I've never redeem Best Western points. Though the 10,000 anywhere promo is good, but that isn't all the time.
Choice points are bought, at the cheapest, at around 0.8 cents each (usually it is 1.1). Their cheapest night is 8,000, and there is nothing there for that much. 16,000 is the cheapest. Usually it is more. Which is still more than $100.
Aren't all Wyndham redemptions now 15,000? I think the best was around 1 cent per point.

I mean, points can be a great value, instead of paying cash, but I don't think there is really a way to get a room for under $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.