Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Rental Car Return to International Terminal Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Trying to judge time I'll need to return a car at Alamo at SFO and get to checkin at the international terminal? Have a 12:50am flight on a Sunday morning... would arriving at the rental car return at 10:30pm be early enough? Flying First Class on KE, so hopefully priority lanes will help with time?

Last edited by kaskade916; Oct 27, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I'd be comfortable with 10:30
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
All up from dropping the car to being at the check-in counter I would allow 20-25 mins. Odds are it'll be less, but it depends on a number of factors like which rental company and whether you happen to just miss one airtrain and have to wait for the next...

This presumes you're at one of the on-airport rental companies - if it's an off-airport rental (Advantage, Payless, Sixt, etc) then it's a completely different story...

But yeah, 10:30pm is plenty of time for a 12:50am departure.

For domestic flights I've pulled up in the rental center an hour before departure time and still made it to the gate before they started boarding - although I wouldn't recommend doing that
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Allowing 30 minutes is more than enough but it can take more than 25 minutes from turning off 101 to getting to the check in counter - and, at least for me, it is completely random as to time of day. Variables are the wait to drop the car - normally none but I've had 10 minutes at Hertz once; then it's about 3-4 minutes to the Air Train - perhaps more if you don't know the way; then, if you just miss an Air Train, it's an extra 5 minutes. Then if the check in is at the A end of the International Terminal, it's significantly faster than at the G end or in T3. In fact, if you are checking in for UA international, it's sometimes faster to cross the platform at A Parking and head back around in the other direction.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
In fact, if you are checking in for UA international, it's sometimes faster to cross the platform at A Parking and head back around in the other direction.
There is a reason that the announcement on the train states that International A is for "All international flights ..."

Unless you had low mobility, I would never recommend actually catching the train all the way around to Intl G. (Personally I even get off at Intl A for T3, but that's about even timewise so it depends if you're up for the walk or not)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I posted this elsewhere - I actually timed it earlier this year and it took 23 minutes from boarding at car rental train stop to UA terminal 3.

Now international terminal is closer (first stop) but with possible wait time I would allocate 20 minutes to be safe just for the train. That is just the time it takes you to get inside the terminal - allow additional time for checkin (if needed), security, etc. Also note that it may take 10-15m to drop the car - takes time to enter the facility, find your company, wait for the attendant, walk to train, etc.

For OP 10:30pm should be fine, particularly with F tix - there is a fast track security line though could still take 10m if you can't use precheck or clear.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Hilton & many more
Virgin America

Quick question: We are flying BWI to SFO in Virgin America (now part of Alaska) and back in First. There are no Virgin America Lofts anymore, but as a Virgin First Class customer you get access to the Alaska lounges - but it appears there are none in SFO. I'm not expecting anything in BWI, but for SFO can I:

1. Access the Centurion Lounge at the end of Terminal 3 and then get to Terminal 2 without having to exit and re-enter security (and will they let me enter Terminal 3 with a ticket to Terminal 2)?
2. Can I get access to the Virgin Atlantic lounge?
3. Is there any other arrangement they have with another lounge provider (say American)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
1. Yes, T3 and T2 are connected inside security
2. No.
3. No, AA eaves expired Jan 1.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Uh. Since when?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Maybe someday, but no time soon. OP will need to re-enter security at T2.

In my recent experience, T2 has had some of the longest security lines at SFO. Even Precheck has been 10-15 minutes. A trip to Centurion Lounge is still worth it if OP has the time, but take a look at T2 security as you exit and head to T3 to gauge your time in line on the return.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:21 pm

+1 on the Centurion Lounge

There was a tunnel I took at SFO, but I think it may have been between international and T2, maybe? To get to the Centurion lounge without having to exit and reenter security.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dcdaveo
There was a tunnel I took at SFO, but I think it may have been between international and T2, maybe?
There is a walkway inside security between the G side of International and T3. Maybe that's what you're remembering. Or you're thinking of the extensive tunnel system at LAX?

There is also a walkway inside security between T2 and half of T1, not that it is relevant to this conversation, but it would theoretically provide access to the Delta club.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
There is a walkway inside security between the G side of International and T3. Maybe that's what you're remembering. Or you're thinking of the extensive tunnel system at LAX?

There is also a walkway inside security between T2 and half of T1, not that it is relevant to this conversation, but it would theoretically provide access to the Delta club.
G-side of International and T3 - that's it. Tough to find - had to ask but good to know about if you travel SFO often.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by dcdaveo
G-side of International and T3 - that's it. Tough to find - had to ask but good to know about if you travel SFO often.
Currently there are two such airside connections: International-G (mostly Star Alliance international) to Terminal 3 (United), and Terminal 2 (American, Alaska and Virgin America) to Terminal 1-C (Delta and a couple of American gates). It looks like it will be years before we see a Terminal 3-E to Terminal 2 airside connection, or the same for Terminal 1-C to 1-B or International-A.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Pooosia
And what are the taxes if you return car for example 1 hour later?
Your question just makes no sense in this thread.
Also, it's unanswerable as it stands ... you don't provide enough information ... taxes are on rentals are based on the underlying rate for the day/week etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.