Reload this Page >

Massive Napa + Sonoma County Fires (update Oct 18 ) - Check before you travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
As you probably seen on the news wherever you are, there are massive wildfires affecting Napa, Sonoma, Solano and Mendocino counties in California. If you plan to travel to these areas over the next few weeks, please check with your airline, your hotel/air B&B lodging etc. to ensure that these areas are safe to enter and that they will be honoring your reservation. Many airlines are offering waivers if you rebook within a timeframe or flat out refunds.

Update Oct 18

Several fires are at or near containment. However the air-quality is still very poor so again, recheck your travel plans and ensure that your lodging is open and available.
As some have suggested, the far north bay (Healdsburg, Geyserville) is relatively unscathed but again, areas that are near to the fires have many closed highways and secondary roads. So triple check before you decide to travel to one of these other areas.

Once the fires are out these areas will need your support and help so do consider re-booking your vacation for a future date if you can.
Updates here:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/
http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/communications_StatewideFireSummary

Donate here:
https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

Update October 23:

Happy to report that Air Quality in the greater San Francisco Bay Area has returned to normal (very clear now).
Print Wikipost

Massive Napa + Sonoma County Fires (update Oct 18 ) - Check before you travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Without specific information, I'd say the farther south the better. BTW, can you switch your flight to San Jose rather than SFO?
Even San Jose area has bad air. Not as bad as SF but still bad. If possible I strongly suggest that people avoid SFO. I'm surprised that airlines haven't offered travel waivers.

I live in SF and today we drove 45 minutes each way to San Jose target to get air purifiers. No other target closer to SF had them. Other places were sold out. At target, we got our honeywells but there were no extras on the shelf. Fellow SF people are posting on fb about how they can't find air purifiers in any shops except for online shopping which isn't helpful if they need it now.
In SF today, the air was so bad that I couldn't see blue sky.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I live in SF itself, but very close to the ocean. The air isn't as bad here. I have actually been able to see blue sky the last few days, and the smoke smell isn't as strong (though it was pretty strong on Sunday night/Monday morning, when the fires were first raging).

For those whose travel plans are flexible, I would guess that Santa Cruz/Monterey would be a good alternative, BUT:

- check weather reports, etc. for smoke advisories

- check availability/prices of lodging, as others undoubtedly have the same idea (and the Santa Cruz/Monterey area is very popular and expensive on weekends in any case)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
My overall advice being close to it all, in fact, a bit too close, is to avoid Sonoma & Napa all together and let us heal. There is much recovery to be done, but only after the fires are out. Words just can't express what we have witnessed and the loss, and it hasn't even begun to stop. The air quality should be as expected (major scale) and depend on the winds.

Today I did see a silver lining, I was treated to a spectacular widebody airshow, I believe it was a DC-10 Air Tanker. Everyone stopped, admired, and was a bit more hopeful.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Today I did see a silver lining, I was treated to a spectacular widebody airshow, I believe it was a DC-10 Air Tanker. Everyone stopped, admired, and was a bit more hopeful.
As a frequent Geyserville and Dry Creek visitor, when watching the news this afternoon, I commented how it must be something to see a 747 flying over Geyserville. Hopefully they can get some better handle on things tomorrow because there's another high wind event expected Friday night / Saturday AM.

AS has a travel waiver through the 19th. It is for a good reason. As said above, stay away for a while. Once the flames are out, support the suffering but surviving businesses. As for lodging, I'd expect it to be tight for some time.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Even San Jose area has bad air. Not as bad as SF but still bad. If possible I strongly suggest that people avoid SFO. I'm surprised that airlines haven't offered travel waivers.

I live in SF and today we drove 45 minutes each way to San Jose target to get air purifiers. No other target closer to SF had them. Other places were sold out. At target, we got our honeywells but there were no extras on the shelf. Fellow SF people are posting on fb about how they can't find air purifiers in any shops except for online shopping which isn't helpful if they need it now.
In SF today, the air was so bad that I couldn't see blue sky.
That's simply not accurate. UA has had A travel waiver for some time.

Personally I would recommend either heading east toward Lake Tahoe area or south as far as San Luis Obispo. Air is very nice in both areas.

AQ is quite variable now
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Air quality is pretty good right now in Monterey/Carmel. That's a good alternative. Lots to do there and it's very scenic.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
I am flying out of SFO tomorrow morning to PDX on WN. Due to all the cancelled flights and delays I am seeing at SFO I called WN to see if they could give me a travel waiver and fly out of OAK or SJC. My only option was to pay the difference in my fare. WN is usually very accomodating but they denied my request and I could only make changes if my flight is cancelled or delayed tomorrow. You think they would be a little more flexible and pro-active. Guess travel waivers only apply to Hurricanes not wildfires.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, all!

Originally Posted by dhuey
Air quality is pretty good right now in Monterey/Carmel. That's a good alternative. Lots to do there and it's very scenic.
To update, I successfully cancelled the hotel res (crappy respiratory system FTW just this once), but I think we're post committed to SFO on those dates. Three different airlines (with three different waiver/change policies), flying from three different cities, and choosing dates in the first place was a logistical PITA.

I really appreciate all the advice and send my best to those dealing with the fallout.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koctail
I am flying out of SFO tomorrow morning to PDX on WN. Due to all the cancelled flights and delays I am seeing at SFO I called WN to see if they could give me a travel waiver and fly out of OAK or SJC. My only option was to pay the difference in my fare. WN is usually very accomodating but they denied my request and I could only make changes if my flight is cancelled or delayed tomorrow. You think they would be a little more flexible and pro-active. Guess travel waivers only apply to Hurricanes not wildfires.
That is weak. AS, UA, DL and AA all have waivers.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:10 pm

Maybe call back and try again. Seems like a situation where an agent can get a supervisor's approval if they want to help you out. Be extra nice and polite.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also, if you're coming to the region (greater Bay Area) make sure you have your lodging confirmed before you get here. Many hotels are scrambling to provide evacuees space at reduced rates, plus the usual busy season.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Maybe call back and try again. Seems like a situation where an agent can get a supervisor's approval if they want to help you out. Be extra nice and polite.
I did call back and the CSR said they did have a "dynamic waiver" but it was for today only. I am flying out Sat returning Sun. I inquired further and she pulled up my reservation and we looked at re-booking out of OAK and she said I would have to pay difference in points, but then she said it wasn't charging me the difference so apparently the waiver was not just for today but going on over weekend too. So I was able to re-book my entire itinerary out of OAK avoiding the SFO mess with no change in points. Funny thing is I work not far from SFO and the sky is nice and blue and I am smelling no smoke today. But I'm not a pilot....so who knows.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:39 pm

Funny thing is I work not far from SFO and the sky is nice and blue and I am smelling no smoke today. But I'm not a pilot....so who knows.
Here in Berkeley the smoke has varied quite a bit since Monday. Today was the worst air I've experienced in 27 years of living out here.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I'm torching a lot of ual miles to stay at a Hyatt there for the weekend. I couldn't book the room using Hyatt points or USA cash on the Hyatt website! There's just no point in staying in SF this weekend. Hopefully things improve for everyone.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here in Berkeley the smoke has varied quite a bit since Monday. Today was the worst air I've experienced in 27 years of living out here.
"Down the hill" wasn't as bad today as it was on Wednesday. Not good by any means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.