Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco selected to host America's Cup

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

San Francisco selected to host America's Cup

(12-31) 15:17 PST San Francisco -- San Francisco will host the next America's Cup, heralding a potential renaissance in the sport of sailing and a major boon to the local economy, sources told The Chronicle.

A formal announcement has yet to be made, and last-minute talks with lawyers continued after 2 p.m., but sources close to the negotiations told The Chronicle that San Francisco has been selected.
SFGate
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, hurrah, and finally Larry Ellison makes a modest effort to give a little back to the area that has given so much to him!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Well, hurrah, and finally Larry Ellison makes a modest effort to give a little back to the area that has given so much to him!
N.B. modest effort....

Imho, this is gonna be a disaster for the city and the only winner is gonna be Ellison
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by goalie
Imho, this is gonna be a disaster for the city and the only winner is gonna be Ellison
No chance that it would bring in the same crowds the World Series brought in, filling hotels and restaurants? I don't follow the sport myself to really know what it will bring in.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
No chance that it would bring in the same crowds the World Series brought in, filling hotels and restaurants? I don't follow the sport myself to really know what it will bring in.
It will apparently lead to some waterfront development, which I am happy to see. I'm not familiar enough with the economics of the deal to know whether the city got a good deal or not, but with a 9-0 vote by the board of supes you know there has to be some crazy stuff in there. Chris Daly doesn't vote for anything unless it includes significant gives to homeless people.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following the recent pushes to outlaw circumcision, end happy meals, and eliminate bagging material, I understand the City is planning to have new initiatives in place by 2013 to greet the America's Cup contestants:

-- All restaurants will be required to serve only vegan food, purchased locally, and cooked on sun-warmed rocks.

-- Hotels may not use towels or toilet paper, only recycled newsprint.

-- San Francisco will become the world's first Segway-only city, no cars allowed.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It will bring in crowds (and I think they will be much bigger than the World Series) and the hotels and restaurants will be packed but what I'm afraid of is that since SF is dealing with Larry (I get whatever I want and if I don't, I have very very deep pockets so I'll sue you and still get what I want) Ellison, I'm just afraid that the city is gonna get screwed after the fact.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It will bring in crowds (and I think they will be much bigger than the World Series) and the hotels and restaurants will be packed but what I'm afraid of is that since SF is dealing with Larry (I get whatever I want and if I don't, I have very very deep pockets so I'll sue you and still get what I want) Ellison, I'm just afraid that the city is gonna get screwed after the fact.
Well, at least these people will have to eat and those that can't find a slip for their yachts, a place to sleep. It will probably bring in a lot of sales and hotel tax revenue, especially if, say, Biff and Muffy's nanny forgot to pack the Versace diapers and the Coach diaper bag.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, at least these people will have to eat and those that can't find a slip for their yachts, a place to sleep. It will probably bring in a lot of sales and hotel tax revenue, especially if, say, Biff and Muffy's nanny forgot to pack the Versace diapers and the Coach diaper bag.
^^^
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think the San Francisco Board of Supervisors called Mr. Ellison's bluff. What actually plays out in the end remains to be seen, but with never seen before press coverage and really amazing boats, we may well have a blockbuster here. Can you imagine bleacher seats set up on the GG bridge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivNKFulYhU
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Are there any estimates on how many people the event will bring into the city?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think this will be the first America's Cup to be hosted in an age of modern marketing.

Imagine something like this (USA-17):

On the Bay, sailing within sight of SF, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Yerba Buena, and Angel along with a dozen competitors.

Many people are betting big on this being -big-. Previous AC competitions were held out at sea. This will be unique.

USA-17 will be sailing on the Bay late next month. The AC34 boats will not be that large, but AC72 class boats are not tiny, by any means.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
agree on all points

Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Many people are betting big on this being -big-. Previous AC competitions were held out at sea. This will be unique.
Pretty impressive photo. Can they work around commute ferries if they have this event in the Bay on a weekday? I guess commercial shipping can just be held outside the Golden Gate as needed, but what do you do with all the ferries?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pretty impressive photo. Can they work around commute ferries if they have this event in the Bay on a weekday? I guess commercial shipping can just be held outside the Golden Gate as needed, but what do you do with all the ferries?
I can't speak to the particulars of AC34. I can observe that it won't be the first large International sailboat competition to be held on the Bay, so Vessel Traffic Service and the organizers somehow work it all out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.