Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Kroger Gift Cards 10% bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kroger Gift Cards 10% bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cak144
My local Krogers would also not take a credit card for the stimulus gift cards.
While I can understand the fascination with getting skymiles as well for purchasing the card I think the important thing here is that you are earning an additional 10%. That is the MOST important thing. With gas near me at $3.54 I use $100 in gas about every 1 1/2 weeks. So lets say $300 a month minimal. There is no bank or investment that will give me a 10% return on my money in a year much less a month. That's a guaranteed 10% return when I buy gass and worth buying the cards even if you don't get the additional reward of skymiles. $300 for a $330 gift card with no skymiles is a no brainer for me and not a deal breaker. Just my humble opinion.

LS
Old May 9, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
Does anyone know if these cards are replaceable if lost or stolen? The discounted Marriott gift cards are not (horrible policy) and that's a big risk, same as carrying around that amount of cash.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Just purchased my first $300 card

Purchased a $300 card with my Delta Platinum AMEX. Checked and used the card at the gas pump. Works fine and indicated the balance was $330. Appears to award the double skymiles bonus for grocery purchases but I will not know this for sure until the transaction posts to my account. Looks like I will go back and purchase at least another $900 in cards.

LS
Old May 10, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Not sure if one can buy Amex gift cards with Kroger gift cards. Something to ask at a local store.

Checked at a local Kroger store and yes it can be done. The problem is I do not have anything to shop at the places where the Fling card can be used.

Originally Posted by yyyccclll
spent $200 for ($200+$20) GC

use $212 GC for AMEX GC 2x $100 (and receive $25 Fling Card)
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,31431,00.asp

profit $8 + $25 gift cards

and

use 2 $100 AMEX gift cards wherever you want

Last edited by TravellingMan; May 10, 2008 at 8:23 pm Reason: update
Old May 10, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Next time I am in Houston, I will have to try this. Too bad it isn't a Randalls where you get extra miles using the CO Chase M/C.
Old May 13, 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by fly4funsea
15% off? I only get 10% off my Kroger brand purchases. Maybe it is a division thing?
May be a division thing. Noticed the 15% discount on May 7. I cannot get the discount when outside the division unless I go to the cs desk & have them manually figure it & then they will give me cash back. Combine the 15% discount with the 5% discount on Wednesday for seniors (55+) AND double coupons, sweet deals!
Old May 13, 2008, 10:02 am

Since no one has listed it, here is the Kroger Press Release for this. It does say they take credit cards.

http://www.thekrogerco.com/corpnews/...s_04162008.htm

BillJ
Old May 13, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by wcj1
Since no one has listed it, here is the Kroger Press Release for this. It does say they take credit cards.

http://www.thekrogerco.com/corpnews/...s_04162008.htm

BillJ
I just used my credit card today. However, I first tried with my AMEX Platinum card and was rejected (later to find out that they thought it was fraud activity) so I used my Chase Mastercard. Too bad AMEX (although I do appreciate vigilence in credit card fraud...just hate it when I can't use the card when I want!)
Old May 13, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Not sure if one can buy Amex gift cards with Kroger gift cards. Something to ask at a local store.

Checked at a local Kroger store and yes it can be done. The problem is I do not have anything to shop at the places where the Fling card can be used.
Kroger is very hit and miss with this...Safeway is excellent in this regard, and I have churned an awful lot of cc spend by buying gc's at Safeway
Old May 14, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Bought $600 worth of cards last week. Good deal indeed.
Old May 17, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
No Krogers within a 50 miles radius. But we do have Fred Meyers (part of the Kroger group). I believe the Kroger cards can be used at these, but anybody know if they can be purchased at these as well (or for that matter other Kroger group properties such as Dillons, Fry's, Ralph's, etc.)?
Old May 17, 2008, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
No Krogers within a 50 miles radius. But we do have Fred Meyers (part of the Kroger group). I believe the Kroger cards can be used at these, but anybody know if they can be purchased at these as well (or for that matter other Kroger group properties such as Dillons, Fry's, Ralph's, etc.)?
Purchased some Kroger giftcards at Fred Meyer's using a credit card. These can be used at any Kroger store. I used them to buy Shell and AA giftcards.

I suppose if you have a lot of time on your hands, you can use the Kroger cards to buy prepaid Mastercards and turn a 10% (minus $4.95 fee) profit. And then use your Mastercard to buy more Kroger giftcards...
Old May 17, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by jpdx
Purchased some Kroger giftcards at Fred Meyer's using a credit card. These can be used at any Kroger store. I used them to buy Shell and AA giftcards.

I suppose if you have a lot of time on your hands, you can use the Kroger cards to buy prepaid Mastercards and turn a 10% (minus $4.95 fee) profit. And then use your Mastercard to buy more Kroger giftcards...
the ads here say 1 per household. i assume they would enforce this by kroger card...

the question is, do they?
Old May 17, 2008, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by sammy0623
the question is, do they?
They do make sure that you only receive a maximum of $1320 for $1200 per membership card. My receipts read, "you have redeemed 4 GC bonus" (= bought 4 of the $330 for $300 giftcards).
Old May 17, 2008, 11:33 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Thanks. I went to Fred's today and purchased a giftcard and received the 10% bonus. The facade of this being a tax refund-related promo appears to be downplayed if not over. A large promotional poster next to the service counter advertising the 10% bonus on giftcards made no mention of it being related to the tax refund. Just presented it as a 10% added bonus to anyone purchasing a giftcard in increments of $300 up to $1200.

They do make sure that you only receive a maximum of $1320 for $1200 per membership card. My receipts read, "you have redeemed 4 GC bonus" (= bought 4 of the $330 for $300 giftcards).
Rules aside, the impression I received was that there was no limit (beyond a $1200/$1320 max per purchase) on the amount/number of times you could purchase these giftcards (along with the 10% bonus). And even if there was, since they required no ID to make the giftcard purchase, there is nothing to stop one from coming back and purchasing consecutive $1200 ($1320) giftcards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.