Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's IAD-DME flight may end.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

United's IAD-DME flight may end.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate but my travel coordinator just told me that the IAD-DME flights on United got pulled from the schedule in 2013.

Allegedly the flight is supposed to come back in April 2013, but it looks like its gone from the GDS. It goes seasonal at the end of August 2012

Personally, I think United should fire their sales staff, and rethink their marketing and sales strategy. If they can't make a route to a country with 7% annual growth rate, (for the last 10 years or so), 4% employment rate work, then something is SERIOUSLY wrong. The people that are supposed to make the route work are not doing their job.

Link from the United forum -

I'm on this route every 2-3 months. If you care, please voice your displeasure to United Airlines management, by letter or e-mail.

Last edited by meFIRST; Jul 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I know loads are not a predictor of profitability, but good GOD every time I am on this flight, it's packed. I can't believe this isn't making money.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Exactly. What is missing is a feed....they should code share with Transaero...
Business and first is absolutely packed. In fact, I've been downgraded on this flight before
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Exactly. What is missing is a feed....they should code share with Transaero...
Business and first is absolutely packed. In fact, I've been downgraded on this flight before
Very interesting. Delta is the other way around. The back is full but BE is mid full at best. Lots of buddy pass riders though fill out the front. If UA pulls theirs then there will be only one true US player in that market. UN and SU are covering the coasts but AA is out, UA is thnking about it, and DL is daily from 2 cities to 1 city now.

This should be a thriving market one would think...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:58 pm

Definitely surprised by this. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Looking at a possible return trip in November. Long connections in Zurich, Frankfurt, Munich. Sometimes 3 flights.

Please voice your displeasure by writing to the man himself
[email protected]

I may have to switch business to SkyPesos next year.

Now if only Transaero would join Star Alliance...that would be answer to my problems.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Loved this route but the terminal, B ?, may be one of the world's worst. Shame Utd is downgrading this service, never had an issue and the DME to IAD leg was always light, had a few lucky trips in coach with an entire row to myself.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I was only on this flight once and on the return the flight got cancelled. It was absolute chaos. 300 passenger and ONE person trained to reroute the passengers. I was really surprised how poor United handled the situation...not surprised that UA is canceling the route considering how little they put in to getting the station even prepared!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

I was on this flight every 2-3 months or so. Most of the time in Business Class, though a few times (early on) in Economy as well. Economy in the winter tended to be empty, but the seats were full up front. I had no problems, except getting downgraded C -> Y due to some Russian pax buying full fare at the counter at DME.

The staff manning United rotates, depending on the season. I got to know them quite well.

Anyway, for those seeking Star options to go to Russia, this now SUCKS BIG TIME. It appears that Skyteam has Star beat in this market.

For most people, its 2-3 connections now to get to DME from the US, with awful connecting times.

This flight better come back in 2013, or else United totally sucks now . I can't believe the sales people at United could not make this flight work. To a high growth market, none the less.

BA flies a 4 cabin, 747 on the LHR-DME route, FCOL!

Sidetopic : I wonder what will happen to United's ticket counter at DME, which is, in my opinion prized real estate? Its the most central location, right in the middle of the Intl side of DME. In fact, UA crew use it as a meeting point, regularly. I see them lingering there before and after the flight.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I talked to my dad tonight & he told me that he had to fly to Moscow for work this weekend. The sorrow in his voice was quite noticeable as he told me that he had to fly Lufthansa via Frankfurt. One of his only Star Alliance options left. He also said that he may consider the Delta flight from JFK-SVO next time. Just to try it out.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, HH
Just booked a ticket myself. There are some good fares - JFK-DME is under $600. Booked LH via FRA on A380. Not a bad schedule - gets to DME at 12:35pm... Decided to check fares - turns out Expedia booked LH K-class - as I understand it does not get me any miles with United... Rebooked for Brussels Airlines - no A380, get to Moscow later, but get the miles to get Gold by the end of the year.

What I don't understand - are most people do not care about miles? I booked with an agent at Expedia - there was no mention of classes, miles, etc. If I would not accidentally check the itinerary - I would end up with 0 miles after this trip...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:29 am

IAD-DME is still not in the schedule for next year.

I hope they make some decisions about the schedule and load the flights into the GDS soon.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:59 am

I sent a message to somebody I know in UA who was involved in their Moscow operations asking the status of this route.

The reply:

At the moment we do not have any plans to come back next summer.
I hope we will back again one day with daily service to the US.

This sucks because I decided to earn my star-gold status in UA exactly due to this route.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Reasons for failure

Lets discuss why this route didn't work. I can think of a few reasons.

1) United is not luxurious enough, for the Russians. I mean really, SQ fills up and ROUTINELY oversells their flight to DME-IAH in Business. When I was at DME a few days ago there was no window seat to be had in Business class. In fact, the flight was oversold. BA flies a 747 from LHR to DME and F is routinely full. United can't fill up and run a 767 from dulles and make buck like eveyone else?

2) No Russian language support . Go to the United website, the only available language is English. What a way to do business in Russia!

3) No local feed . Not everyone goes to Moscow. It would help if United codeshared with Transaero. I think this could have been a win win relationship, since UN flies to LAX

4) No cargo business . With the exception of NASA cargo (which leaves from IAH anyway, the plane was mostly luggage).

5) No understanding of the local market . Refer back to point #1, #2, and I think marketing is almost no existant. Actually anyone that knows the local market knows that old school travel agents (since extinct in the US) do very well in Russia and that's how a lot of travel is purchased. I'm guessing United is offering 0% commissions....

Lame. Lame. So now I'm stuck with a dicey 40 minute connection in Geneva or overnight in Frankfurt. Who ever does marketing in Europe for United should be given a D- in his/her job rating.

The only positive : The united ticket counter, located right in the center of the international side of DME airport
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:34 pm

DME Landing Fees

AA used to fly ORD-DME on a 777 when it started then dropped down to a 767 before dropping the flight entirely.

When the flight began, the planes were mostly full then numbers kept dropping, especially after the 2008 financial crisis, which barely affected Russia, by the way.

I spoke at length to an AA FA and he told me that they had so many issues at DME with high landing fees, one of the highest in the world according to him, and with catering. DME is a privately held airport and the Russian government doesn't even know what's going on there. Seriously.

I'm actually surprised United had hung on for as long as they have, regardless of load. It's an expensive airport with a host of strange rules and regulations. And without any Russian carriers in Star Alliance, the feeder flights would be an issue as well. And DC isn't really a tourist destination for Russians the way NYC or Miami are. Singapore is able to fill that Houston flight because of oil money.

All the EU carriers flocked over to DME as it was undergoing its massive renovation and grew into a decent airport. SVO was a pit prior to the opening of the new terminals D&E. F, the former SVO-2, is still horrible. But, SVO may lure back some of the EU carriers, if they have gate space, that is. Hard to say.

It really is a shame that there are so few non-stop options from Moscow to the US and that another one is apparently biting the dust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.