Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best way to get from DME to the city centre

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mcg1000
I fly into DME at around 6 pm on a Friday and am heading to the Radisson Royal (aka Ukraina). Am I going to be stuck in traffic for hours and should take the train or is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?

There'll be three of us, so sharing a taxi is about the same price; I'm mainly worried that the Aeroexpress only goes every half an hour.
6pm on a Friday you will likely be stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. It's rush hour, and even though you're heading into the city so theoretically going against traffic, you're going to hit a lot of congestion once you get to the Center.

However, the one problem with the Ukraina and taking the Aeroexpress is that there really isn't a metro near the hotel. So you're looking at either walking a good distance from Kievskaya metro station or taking a cab from Paveletskaya (where, coming off the Aeroexpress, the drivers will all take 700 rubles from you, even though it should be 200-300). And then you're still in traffic.

Given both these things, it might just be easier to take the taxi from DME and sacrifice a small goat to the traffic gods before heading out.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Is it really that difficult to get from Kievskaya metro to the Radisson?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:33 am

Is it really that difficult to get from Kievskaya metro to the Radisson?
Do you read Russian or have you been there before?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I speak excellent Russian, although haven't been to Moscow since the nineties and have never been to the Hotel Ukraina.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcmike
6pm on a Friday you will likely be stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. It's rush hour, and even though you're heading into the city so theoretically going against traffic, you're going to hit a lot of congestion once you get to the Center.

However, the one problem with the Ukraina and taking the Aeroexpress is that there really isn't a metro near the hotel. So you're looking at either walking a good distance from Kievskaya metro station or taking a cab from Paveletskaya (where, coming off the Aeroexpress, the drivers will all take 700 rubles from you, even though it should be 200-300). And then you're still in traffic.

Given both these things, it might just be easier to take the taxi from DME and sacrifice a small goat to the traffic gods before heading out.
Immigration etc with 6 pm arrival means reaching downtown well after 7 - I doubt traffic, especially on a friday, is gonna be a problem.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:29 pm

I speak excellent Russian, although haven't been to Moscow since the nineties and have never been to the Hotel Ukraina.
The hotel is not right by the metro, it's about a 10 minute walk from Kievskaya. If you speak Russian, you should be fine. Here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...6,0.02532&z=15
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold
DME to Hotel Ibis?

Arriving on a Wednesday evening, I assume we'll take the Aeroexpress train to Paveletskiy railway station - and then walk from there to the hotel? We're staying at:

Hotel Ibis Moscow Paveletskaya
Shchipok Str 22 Bld. 1 - 115054 - MOSCOW - RUSSIAN FEDERATION

Is this a reasonable and safe walk from the Paveleskiy station? There will be two of us, never been to Russia before, and I'm not doing well on learning Cyrillic (though I'm trying!)

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by shannon94188
Is this a reasonable and safe walk from the Paveleskiy station? There will be two of us, never been to Russia before, and I'm not doing well on learning Cyrillic (though I'm trying!)

Thanks!
It's a safe neighborhood (although right around train stations there always tend to be some drunks/unsavory characters - once you get away from the station, it's totally fine). I would guestimate it is about 10 minutes by foot. If one of the two of you can pick up cyrillic and you bring a map, you'll be fine.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by shannon94188
Its fine around that area overall, and should be a fairly straightforward 10-15 min walk. You could also take a tram, probably better once you've got the lay of the land. It's mappable on Google.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.