Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flights to Georgia Cancelled - Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

cnn.com/2019/06/21/europe/putin-bans-flights-russia-georgia-intl/index.html
(CNN)Flights carrying Russians to nearby Georgia will be halted after anti-Russian protests flared in the former Soviet republic.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has issued a temporary flight ban to begin next month, state news agency TASS reported on Friday. It added that Putin has also ordered the repatriation of Russian citizens temporarily living in Georgia.
"Starting on July 8, 2019, Russian airlines are temporarily prohibited from carrying out air transportation (including commercial) of citizens from the territory of the Russian Federation to the territory of Georgia," TASS said.
Aeroflot pulled the route from their site, but hasn't considered the flights cancelled yet.

Anyone have experience with refunds on cancelled routes?

It sounds as though they won't be making the official call until a few days before and I'm thinking I need to rebook on another carrier as I've got a flight in a few weeks.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

For awareness - if this happens, you have to call in (it's not automatic and I was not notified) and request a refund that will be processed in ~30 days.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: SU Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ski_Bum
It sounds as though they won't be making the official call until a few days before and I'm thinking I need to rebook on another carrier as I've got a flight in a few weeks.
All airlines have already specified their cancellation policies, and they differ a lot.
Pobeda will automatically cancel any ticket with any segment on any cancelled flight (which is against the law, I believe).
Georgian Airways says they won't allow a refund on non-refundable tickets and would fly such passengers on other airlines via Armenia instead. (also unlawful, I believe).
Aeroflot for some reason closed one-way bookings to Georgia even for June (but happily sells returns on same flights!)
Many Russian airlines offer reroutings to Erevan and sometimes Sochi, Vladikavkaz or Baku. Ural Airlines offer rerouting to wherever you like inside Russia and CIS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.