FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Drivers using GPS set to "avoid tolls" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/2114574-drivers-using-gps-set-avoid-tolls.html)

ikwia Mar 10, 2023 6:19 am

Drivers using GPS set to "avoid tolls"

Any strategies to deal with drivers trying to avoid tolls without upsetting them and getting low rating in retaliation? In some markets, toll avoidance results in ridiculous routes that can take nearly twice as long. When I know the area I try to stay on top of it, but I don't always realize we're taking an inefficient route, and even if I know the area, it's sometimes hard to notice before a driver makes a poor navigation choice. IMHO, toll avoidance should be against the Uber and Lyft driver rules.

FlyinHawaiian Mar 10, 2023 7:37 am

At least in my geography (NYC), toll costs are incorporated into the overall fare so working your question in reverse, if the costs of tolls are excluded from your fares, I don't see how you can ask a driver to incur a toll fee. This works better on metered fares like yellow cabs where any tolls are added at the end of the ride.

ikwia Mar 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 35076579)
At least in my geography (NYC), toll costs are incorporated into the overall fare so working your question in reverse, if the costs of tolls are excluded from your fares, I don't see how you can ask a driver to incur a toll fee. This works better on metered fares like yellow cabs where any tolls are added at the end of the ride.

The tolls are incorporated in the market I care about most, for sure. The route shown on the rider app uses toll roads, the arrival estimate assumes use.of toll roads, and the invoice enumerates the tolls and adds them to the final charge.

FlyinHawaiian Mar 10, 2023 3:31 pm

So if you paid a rate that included tolls and the driver is taking routes that circumvent them and add additional time to the trip, t think that would be grounds for a low driver rating and refund request,

ikwia Mar 10, 2023 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 35077710)
So if you paid a rate that included tolls and the driver is taking routes that circumvent them and add additional time to the trip, t think that would be grounds for a low driver rating and refund request,

I agree. But with that said, usually the total price ends up the same or less than quoted -- higher actual fare, but no tolls added. I bet the drivers think they're making more, but I doubt it once you adjust for added time (in this market, rides are pretty much continuously available for drivers). And unfortunately giving a low rating or requesting a refund doesn't give me back the time I've lost or get me to my appointment on time.

nd2010 Mar 13, 2023 4:25 am

Tell the driver that you’ll pay their toll in cash. Do that in lieu of a tip. They’ll get to double dip on tolls since Uber will reimburse them.

ikwia Mar 15, 2023 10:38 am

I'm historically an Uber user, but lately.ive been using Lyft a bit. I noticed that when drivers navigate using the Lyft app, it tells them (audibly) that the road ahead has tolls, but then reminds them that they'll be reimbursed for those tolls. I don't think this solves my issue, but I still thought it was worth mentioning.

WillBarrett_68 Mar 15, 2023 10:57 am

this is completely an artifact of uber running off the actually good drivers by continually reducing payment rates. you're left with absolute scammers and morons driving.

Georgia Peach Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm

Is there a way to find out ahead of time if the driver will use toll lanes? Last time we used Uber, the driver didn't have a toll pass. Where I live, the regular toll lanes can easily double or triple the drive time.

ikwia Mar 22, 2024 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach (Post 36099540)
Is there a way to find out ahead of time if the driver will use toll lanes? Last time we used Uber, the driver didn't have a toll pass. Where I live, the regular toll lanes can easily double or triple the drive time.

Not that I know of. I don't think there is even a way to find out if they'll use toll roads at all.

Auto Enthusiast Mar 22, 2024 4:44 pm

There's a Reddit thread about this. Ride hailing companies reimburse for regular tolls, but not choosing to drive in express toll lanes.

Eastbay1K Mar 22, 2024 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 36102139)
There's a Reddit thread about this. Ride hailing companies reimburse for regular tolls, but not choosing to drive in express toll lanes.

And there's the rub. There should be an option. For instance, 3 people in the Bay Area (other than bridges, which are reimbursed) 3 people are free, if the driver has a transponder. Although with dynamic pricing on the express lanes, it would not be as easy as it seems. But living in the purported tech capital of the world, perhaps someone can figure this out.

diburning Mar 23, 2024 3:59 am

I've noticed that Uber, if it expects a logical toll road option, will build the toll into the fare, and then ask if I want to avoid it to save the cost of the toll. Uber has also occasionally adjusted the final charge to remove the toll if it didn't offer it to me, and the driver took the no-toll route (often, if I decline the avoid toll discount and the driver takes the no-toll route anyway, Uber has been good about automatically refunding me for it).

Lyft on the other hand; has the Lyft app GPS avoid tolls by default. It sucks. If the driver navigates by Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze, then its' a coin toss as to whether they have it set to avoid tolls. Lyft doesn't automatically adjust the fare (either up or down) regardless of whether the driver takes the toll road.