FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Uber/Lyft & Tolls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/2004422-uber-lyft-tolls.html)

planes&trains Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Uber/Lyft & Tolls

Nothing came up in search and I am wondering if anyone had experience with this and can answer my question.

I am considering booking a ride on Lyft/Uber to go about 100 miles on I-87 in NY. From what I gather on respective websites, it appears that the toll is included in the upfront price quoted in the app, including tolls for the driver to get back. Fair enough. But there is also a statement that other charges will be added to the final tally after the trip ends.

Hay anyone used the service to go through bridges and tolls and is the upfront pricing what was charged?

cestmoi123 Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm

In my experience, when I've been quoted an upfront price by Uber, that's what I've been charged (unless I changed the destination), whether the trip incurred tolls or not.

planes&trains Jan 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 31954928)
In my experience, when I've been quoted an upfront price by Uber, that's what I've been charged (unless I changed the destination), whether the trip incurred tolls or not.

Thank you. That's a relief. I don't mind paying what's needed, but it makes me very easy not knowing what I will pay.

rhwbullhead Jan 18, 2020 12:03 am

I tried to research this a few weeks ago briefly and I also found conflicting info.

Uber showed a routing through the tollway that I never take when I drive. The no toll route is more direct but probably takes a few minutes longer as there are a bunch of traffic lights even though it's mostly a 3 Lane in each direction divided highway with some sections having two lanes each direction

I ended up not requesting driver to reroute as I read it might alter my fare if she took a different route than shown on the app.

I found the fare was a quoted and didn't add additional tolls to the quoted price. Driver paid cash out if her pocket for tolls.

ijgordon Jan 22, 2020 10:31 am

I've had one experience where the fare was REDUCED upon ride completion after we took a routing that avoided the toll that was built into the original fare quote.

cestmoi123 Jan 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31981791)
I've had one experience where the fare was REDUCED upon ride completion after we took a routing that avoided the toll that was built into the original fare quote.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure this happened to me once as well. Never had the converse (fare higher than quoted b/c of tolls) happen, though.