Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Uber's False Promises of Refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Beware of Uber's False Promises of Refund

I recently had a ride where I was charged more than the up-front price that I was quoted. I've gotten into the habit of screenshotting every ride with the origin, destination, up-front price, and all other relevant information, and I don't delete them until the charge posts to my credit card, because of instances like this.

After unsuccessfully trying to get the difference refunded through the automated system (where I have been successful in the past), i contacted Uber through Twitter, and told them that I expected a refund of the difference because the driver merely followed the GPS, there were no deviations, traffic, or construction, and that it was a deceptive practice for them to show me an up front price and then charge me more. On top of that, as a Platinum reward member, my fare should have been protected as it was my commuting route (Platinum benefit).

They responded both in Twitter and on the in-app help center that I would receive a refund of the difference within 3-5 business days. 7 business days later, I noticed that there was no refund of the difference on my credit card. I contacted them again and they said that they initiated the refund on the same day and that if I didn't see it by now to contact my bank.

So, I contacted Amex, and they just reversed the charge for the entire ride. I'm waiting to see now whether Uber will show me an outstanding balance. Amex elected to snail mail me the results, so I don't know if they really reversed the charge or if they simply did a courtesy credit.

Uber is a joke.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Interesting. On my last two Uber refunds, Uber has responded within 10-15 minutes that it would issue a refund, within 24 hours that it had processed a refund, and the refund showed up as a credit on my CC within 3 days.

You will not necessarily know whether Amex has bothered to debit Uber and furthermore, Amex has arrangements with many merchants which process large volumes of small debits to simply "grant" the chargeback without bothering to seek approval or a response from the merchant.

From the consumer perspective, it is irrelevant.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:20 pm

If I dispute a charge on my CC, a few weeks later the Uber app will prevent me from requesting new rides until I pay a "balance due" on my account.

I'm also currently going through a case where I was quoted $20 but charged $28. The driver kept driving for 10 min after dropping me off. The automated system says I was charged the same as my upfront quote (BS), and a customer support agent said the fare was appropriate for my route (true, but it's not the route I actually took).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Interesting. On my last two Uber refunds, Uber has responded within 10-15 minutes that it would issue a refund, within 24 hours that it had processed a refund, and the refund showed up as a credit on my CC within 3 days.
That's how it used to work for me, until this incident.

Originally Posted by Often1
You will not necessarily know whether Amex has bothered to debit Uber and furthermore, Amex has arrangements with many merchants which process large volumes of small debits to simply "grant" the chargeback without bothering to seek approval or a response from the merchant.

From the consumer perspective, it is irrelevant.
What's not irrelevant is whether I'll continue to be able to use Uber in the future if their systems show an outstanding debt due to the chargeback.
Originally Posted by davie355
If I dispute a charge on my CC, a few weeks later the Uber app will prevent me from requesting new rides until I pay a "balance due" on my account.
And if Uber prevents me from requesting new rides, I'll give them one last chance to charge me the correct amount to clear the debt since I actually took the ride, but if customer service jerks me around as usual, then I'll just switch to Lyft permanently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.