FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Driver refused to come to airport door (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1958160-driver-refused-come-airport-door.html)

davie355 Feb 25, 2019 10:03 pm

Driver refused to come to airport door

This is a new one for me. I land in EWR Terminal C and choose to be picked up from Door 6 as usual.

For those unfamiliar, Door 6 is at the far end of the terminal, with relatively little traffic. It’s easy for drivers to pull over there.

I get my driver assigned and she immediately texts me to go to Door 5. I said ok, I’m going, although I’m seeing that Door 6 has way more curb space. I receive a flat “No” in response. Uhh, Door 5 it is, then.

I see the driver approach and triple-park next to Door 5. I enter the car and she explains that Door 6 is susceptible to police kicking cars out, which made no sense and is clearly untrue as a police cruiser had passed by just 15 seconds ago, not stopping or ticketing any cars at that door.

Was it fair for me to rate my driver poorly? The rest of the ride went fine, but I couldn’t shake the ridiculous initial exchange.

neo_781 Feb 26, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30822168)
This is a new one for me. I land in EWR Terminal C and choose to be picked up from Door 6 as usual.

For those unfamiliar, Door 6 is at the far end of the terminal, with relatively little traffic. It’s easy for drivers to pull over there.

I get my driver assigned and she immediately texts me to go to Door 5. I said ok, I’m going, although I’m seeing that Door 6 has way more curb space. I receive a flat “No” in response. Uhh, Door 5 it is, then.

I see the driver approach and triple-park next to Door 5. I enter the car and she explains that Door 6 is susceptible to police kicking cars out, which made no sense and is clearly untrue as a police cruiser had passed by just 15 seconds ago, not stopping or ticketing any cars at that door.

Was it fair for me to rate my driver poorly? The rest of the ride went fine, but I couldn’t shake the ridiculous initial exchange.

Annoying yes, but I would probably just write it off as the price you pay for not using a professional driver.

Also note I would be less annoyed by the a one word response then not complying with your request as its hard to type and drive (especially in an airport setting).

bitterproffit Feb 26, 2019 7:42 am

Really, you rated her poorly because you expected her to type courteously WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING?

And then she explained why (as someone who probably is there multiple times a day) and wants to avoid a ticket.

So, are you punishing her with a bad rating because she didn't send you a more courteous reply while she was also trying to drive?
Or are you punishing her because she wanted to avoid angering a cop that she probably has to deal with every day doing something she does to earn a living?

Often1 Feb 26, 2019 8:44 am

Drivers likely know the ins and outs of which doors attract police attention better than passengers. Texting is likely abrupt because it is pre-programmed.

If you want an obsequious driver, shell out for a high-end car service.

Hopefully whatever service is is won;t actually downgrade the driver for this.

Eastbay1K Feb 26, 2019 8:47 am

At least in these parts, if the driver stops in any area not the designated pickup spot (which would include a particular door area at certain airports), the fines are not insubstantial. Just because you were picked up there before doesn't mean it was right (or not right).

neo_781 Feb 26, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30823504)
At least in these parts, if the driver stops in any area not the designated pickup spot (which would include a particular door area at certain airports), the fines are not insubstantial. Just because you were picked up there before doesn't mean it was right (or not right).

Fair point if the airport has specific designated pickup spots that must be adhered to but I would never make the assumption that an Uber, Lyft, etc... driver knows better about a pickup or drop off location.

davie355 Feb 26, 2019 9:19 am

Folks, Door 6 is an approved and legal spot for Lyft/Uber pickup. The driver simply did not want to go there. This is my rationale for the bad rating.

I don't expect anyone to be texting me even one word if it's not safe. Most Lyft/Uber drivers do not message me, they simply show up and I get in. This driver had other ideas.

Brighton Line Feb 27, 2019 12:10 pm

To throw this out there I know Door 6 is after the crosswalk, there may be issues with being able to get over to that with a red light as well but Door 5 is before it it is also the last door.

bukma Mar 22, 2019 7:50 am

But she explained!

If she didn't then yes you could have

davie355 Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm

The explanation was nonsense.

CMK10 Mar 24, 2019 10:49 am

Back in my driving days I got a ticket at RDU for dropping someone on the upper curb instead of the lower curb.

And now that I'm a lawyer who does a lot of traffic ticket defense, I realize "but the passenger wanted me to do it" isn't a valid excuse to get out of a ticket.

davie355 Mar 24, 2019 12:08 pm

delete