Driver refused to come to airport door

Old Feb 25, 19, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Driver refused to come to airport door

This is a new one for me. I land in EWR Terminal C and choose to be picked up from Door 6 as usual.

For those unfamiliar, Door 6 is at the far end of the terminal, with relatively little traffic. It’s easy for drivers to pull over there.

I get my driver assigned and she immediately texts me to go to Door 5. I said ok, I’m going, although I’m seeing that Door 6 has way more curb space. I receive a flat “No” in response. Uhh, Door 5 it is, then.

I see the driver approach and triple-park next to Door 5. I enter the car and she explains that Door 6 is susceptible to police kicking cars out, which made no sense and is clearly untrue as a police cruiser had passed by just 15 seconds ago, not stopping or ticketing any cars at that door.

Was it fair for me to rate my driver poorly? The rest of the ride went fine, but I couldn’t shake the ridiculous initial exchange.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
This is a new one for me. I land in EWR Terminal C and choose to be picked up from Door 6 as usual.

For those unfamiliar, Door 6 is at the far end of the terminal, with relatively little traffic. Itís easy for drivers to pull over there.

I get my driver assigned and she immediately texts me to go to Door 5. I said ok, Iím going, although Iím seeing that Door 6 has way more curb space. I receive a flat ďNoĒ in response. Uhh, Door 5 it is, then.

I see the driver approach and triple-park next to Door 5. I enter the car and she explains that Door 6 is susceptible to police kicking cars out, which made no sense and is clearly untrue as a police cruiser had passed by just 15 seconds ago, not stopping or ticketing any cars at that door.

Was it fair for me to rate my driver poorly? The rest of the ride went fine, but I couldnít shake the ridiculous initial exchange.
Annoying yes, but I would probably just write it off as the price you pay for not using a professional driver.

Also note I would be less annoyed by the a one word response then not complying with your request as its hard to type and drive (especially in an airport setting).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Really, you rated her poorly because you expected her to type courteously WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING?

And then she explained why (as someone who probably is there multiple times a day) and wants to avoid a ticket.

So, are you punishing her with a bad rating because she didn't send you a more courteous reply while she was also trying to drive?
Or are you punishing her because she wanted to avoid angering a cop that she probably has to deal with every day doing something she does to earn a living?
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Drivers likely know the ins and outs of which doors attract police attention better than passengers. Texting is likely abrupt because it is pre-programmed.

If you want an obsequious driver, shell out for a high-end car service.

Hopefully whatever service is is won;t actually downgrade the driver for this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
At least in these parts, if the driver stops in any area not the designated pickup spot (which would include a particular door area at certain airports), the fines are not insubstantial. Just because you were picked up there before doesn't mean it was right (or not right).
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
At least in these parts, if the driver stops in any area not the designated pickup spot (which would include a particular door area at certain airports), the fines are not insubstantial. Just because you were picked up there before doesn't mean it was right (or not right).
Fair point if the airport has specific designated pickup spots that must be adhered to but I would never make the assumption that an Uber, Lyft, etc... driver knows better about a pickup or drop off location.
davie355 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Folks, Door 6 is an approved and legal spot for Lyft/Uber pickup. The driver simply did not want to go there. This is my rationale for the bad rating.

I don't expect anyone to be texting me even one word if it's not safe. Most Lyft/Uber drivers do not message me, they simply show up and I get in. This driver had other ideas.
chrisny2 and Landing Gear like this.

Last edited by davie355; Feb 26, 19 at 7:40 pm
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:10 pm

To throw this out there I know Door 6 is after the crosswalk, there may be issues with being able to get over to that with a red light as well but Door 5 is before it it is also the last door.
Old Mar 22, 19, 7:50 am

But she explained!

If she didn't then yes you could have
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

The explanation was nonsense.
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Back in my driving days I got a ticket at RDU for dropping someone on the upper curb instead of the lower curb.

And now that I'm a lawyer who does a lot of traffic ticket defense, I realize "but the passenger wanted me to do it" isn't a valid excuse to get out of a ticket.
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

To reiterate:
RDU prohibits Uber operations at the upper curb
EWR allows Uber operations at the door I was requesting
chrisny2 likes this.

Search this Thread