Wiki Posts
Search

Uber rebate credit via Visa spending

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Uber rebate credit via Visa spending

I just noticed that this past weekend, so signed up for it. Have folks been successfully accumulating enough for free rides that way?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:39 pm

I just signed up for it the other day, too, and haven't had a chance to use it.

My friend did two Whole Foods transactions to test it over the weekend. He was notified of his credit almost instantly after the first transaction, using his physical Visa card. The second time he tried using ApplePay and it didn't get picked up, which wasn't that surprising since I think Visa sees ApplePay transactions as using a different card number than the one Uber has on file.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That makes sense, unfortunately.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:51 pm

mrsmicah went to Whole Foods today and used an Uber-linked Visa card. I got a notification from the Uber app almost instantly.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Went to a participating joint today for lunch, and got the Uber notice of credit before the waiter returned with the slip to sign.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Where is the sign up for this?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Via one's Uber app under "Settings" I believe.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:10 am

It's at the bottom of the main app screen. You slide up the "new items" tab and then scroll down to see the place to sign up for the offers.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Miami305
Where is the sign up for this?
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Via one's Uber app under "Settings" I believe.
Bottom of the Settings section, there is a heading for Rewards. The Visa promo should be there. Note: you can only sign up if you have a Visa card added as a form of payment on your Uber account.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Keep your receipts!

I had a recent restaurant visit failed to credit. Dealing with Uber customer service was a real nightmare, necessitating almost a dozen exchanges back-and-forth before they finally understood what I wanted, requesting a copy of the transaction receipt so that they could apply 10%.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:32 pm

Has anyone had a situation where a merchant does not show up in their searchable tool as eligible for a rebate however you receive a notification and rebate anyway? I've had that happen at 2 different merchants recently. It's great, but kind of defeats their goal of having you frequent certain locations in order to receive the rebate.

Ive also had 2 instances where a merchant shows in the search tool however I did not receive a rebate. I'm in the process of asking for a manual correction, but as stated previously Uber customer service is completely useless.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After my experience trying to get credit for a participating restaurant which failed, I very strongly suggest that in the first communication with them you spell things out in words of one syllable very, very carefully.

Much for the problem stemmed from the fact that every single time I responded to a point trying to clarify, the message was answered by a different person so it was a matter of starting all over again from scratch with my situation.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Uber's customer service is truly terrible. Main issue I find is that a huge portion of the responses are either completely automated (based on the text you sent) or looked at incredibly quickly by a human who then chooses a canned response.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well ... it was there earlier today, and now so sign of the promo?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:56 am

I wonder if this is just a temporary promo? On the app it says only from Aug 1-31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.