Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent a car for a week in New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am trying to rent a car tomorrow either from around Brooklyn, Kingston, or Albany, New York.

Pickup location: Anywhere in Brooklyn, NY, or Kingston, NY or Albany, NY
Drop Off location: Same location
Pickup date & time: November 30 12:00 PM
Drop Off Date & Time Dec 7 12:00 PM
Preferred Car Size: Any
Age (if under 25): 23
Best quote: - $200 and change from Avis using corporate code.

Really trying to pay less than that, thank you to anyone that finds me a better quote
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:14 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

A week for $200, including taxes, is usually a relatively good price. Do you need to use Avis or can you try others? Cheaper cars I found in a 3 min search (Kayak for these listed below):
-Advantage at LGA. $183 for an economy.
-Hertz at ALB. $100 for an intermediate.
-Avis at ALB. $144 for an intermediate.
-Hertz Poughkeepsie. $164 for an economy.

My only other suggestion would be to use AutoSlash, as I can't come close to $200 with any public codes.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

The only problem is that I'm 23, I got $148 using the Citigroup code for avis in Albany Airport but I'm not sure they'll accept it at the register. I'm open to using any rental company. I usually book with enterprise (currently a gold tier) but the best price I got was $234 from them.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:32 am

Sorry, I thought I was in the Avis forum, hence my question for the Avis-only rental. I overlooked your age also (been one of those mornings!). Yeah, it seems $200 is the best deal you'll find considering the under-age fee at most places.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:33 am

What about Hertz and the underage fee waiver with AAA membership?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Tverskoy
The only problem is that I'm 23, I got $148 using the Citigroup code for avis in Albany Airport but I'm not sure they'll accept it at the register. I'm open to using any rental company. I usually book with enterprise (currently a gold tier) but the best price I got was $234 from them.
Are you able to combine Avis dollars-off coupons with your corporate rate? Check the "Deals" or "Offers" tab at avis.com; you should be able to find coupons for $15 or $25 off, depending on the pre-tax cost of your rental.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Sorry, I thought I was in the Avis forum, hence my question for the Avis-only rental. I overlooked your age also (been one of those mornings!). Yeah, it seems $200 is the best deal you'll find considering the under-age fee at most places.

Do you think the Citigroup discount would work if I tell them a family member of mine gave me the code?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
What about Hertz and the underage fee waiver with AAA membership?
Both my father and brother have AAA but I am not on their account, would I still be able to ring up a quote with their AAA numbers?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you able to combine Avis dollars-off coupons with your corporate rate? Check the "Deals" or "Offers" tab at avis.com; you should be able to find coupons for $15 or $25 off, depending on the pre-tax cost of your rental.
I'll try that, thank you for the suggestion
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:17 am

Both my father and brother have AAA but I am not on their account, would I still be able to ring up a quote with their AAA numbers?
AAA just had a marketing email to add members of the household for more than half off.
Might want to check that.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:32 am

Do you think the Citigroup discount would work if I tell them a family member of mine gave me the code?
No one can say for certain what codes will/won't work. However, it's worth noting that it is fraud if you use a code which you're not eligible for. Even if they let you get the car, they can always come back and ask for proof of employment/eligibility. Or worse, if any accident occurs, all insurance can void coverage if you're not permitted to have the car under your rental terms. So make sure you weigh all risks when trying to save a few $$.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:06 am

Since the biggest part of your rental cost is the Underage Fee, you should try to figure out a way to get it waived. The easiest option is to use your AAA / USAA membership, if you have one. If you're not a member, do as @Brighton Line suggested and ask you father/brother to add you to their account. Even with the $30-60 you'll spend on the AAA membership, you'll still come out a winner. You'll also continue to benefit whenever you rent until you're 25. IMO, that's money well spent.
@IAHtraveler summed it up pretty well & I too would advice against using discount codes you're not entitled to use. I'm not sure what Citigroup discount code you're using. Is it for Citi customers or is it for Citi employees? How do you even know it's a Citigroup discount code and not something else? Did you find it on Citigroup's website or on the rental car company's website saying it was a Citigroup discount?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
AAA just had a marketing email to add members of the household for more than half off.
Might want to check that.
+1.

I'm seeing weekly rates for an intermediate car from Hertz at ALB for under $100 -- tax included -- under the AAA member rate. Even if the OP has to pay full price for a membership, it would be worth it for this one rental. But he might have to go to an AAA office and join in person to get a physical membership card in time to show it at the Hertz counter tomorrow.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
+1.

I'm seeing weekly rates for an intermediate car from Hertz at ALB for under $100 -- tax included -- under the AAA member rate. Even if the OP has to pay full price for a membership, it would be worth it for this one rental. But he might have to go to an AAA office and join in person to get a physical membership card in time to show it at the Hertz counter tomorrow.
There's a AAA app (kinda like the GEICO app) that gives you access to your digital membership card. Depending on how fast information flows through the AAA IT systems, OP could have access to the membership card as soon as the signup is completed. This should be accepted at any rental counter.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Just ran a quote and got $98 for a week, says it is optional to put in my AAA# and no underage fee is listed? I'm worried I might get charged the underage fee at the desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.