Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher near EWR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Kosher near EWR

Looking to catch a quick cab ride or train ride and get something to eat

1st time it is a 5hr AM layover, so looking for Bagel and Lox

Going the other way it is about a 3hr PM layover, looking for a good Kosher Deli sandwich

Anyone deliver to the airport, to save the round trip travel time?

OR anything good in the airport

PS - i will be flying CO
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Go to elizabeth its about 8 min from ewr and has a few restaurants, have no idea if they deliver
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Some of the places in Elizabeth do deliver, but I forget who does.

For breakfast food, you're really limited to 2 options:
Larry & David's Bagels or Dunkin Donuts, both on Elmora Ave in Elizabeth, across the street from each other. Neither deliver. I'm not sure if L&D is still open, as the number doesn't seem to work. But it's good. Dunkin is a safe bet, though not cholov yisrael.

Dunkin Donuts - 908 289 9327
186 Elmora Ave.
Elizabeth, NJ 07208

For Kosher deli, I have no idea. I've never gotten a deli sandwich. Here's what they have (tell me what interests you so I can give you more info)

Jerusalem Pizza (pizza, salads, falafel) - I believe does not deliver
Glatt Star (Mediterranean food such as schwarma, burgers, sushi) - may deliver
New Kosher Special (Kosher Chinese food) - I believe delivers

Glatt Star may be your best bet for a deli sandwich
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: Larry & David's did indeed close. Only choice for bagel is Dunkin Donuts.

Don't remember if they have lox, but they do have lox spread, which is a lox flavored cream cheese, and is pretty good.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:15 pm
Suspended

1- the kosher Chinese joint is very good, Negatives Ca$h Only, although they deliver theres amin and dont know if theyd be willing to EWR and someone they never dealt with, remember they dont take CCs so no way for them to know 100% the transaction will in fact take place. there are afew tables but its mainly a take-out op

2- havent eaten @ Star in ages did once and didnt care for it , but they are new owners since then , wasnt anything great but hey its Glatt, hot and fleshig

3- Jerusalem Pizza isnt what it once was but like Star its hot, fresh and Milhig. I actually drive way out of my to Livingston to the pizza place there on Route10 its owned by the people that started the Elizabeth place so the food is 1000 times better then Elizabeths and is very good

most Dunkins have single servings of cream cheese and maybe even the lox spread. the bagels are frozen and have a Hof-K I know many people that will eat them at any DD. Make sure to ask how they slice the bagels if via a bagel cutter (special device) no problem if with a knife tell them you dont want it sliced. As already posted the DD n Elizabeth is all kosher. theres a DD in the A comcourse of TermC in the food court, except for the rubber eggs not much more to be had the all kosher joint
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=craz;17328732]1- the kosher Chinese joint is very good, Negatives Ca$h Only, although they deliver theres amin and dont know if theyd be willing to EWR and someone they never dealt with, remember they dont take CCs so no way for them to know 100% the transaction will in fact take place. there are afew tables but its mainly a take-out op

Agreed that the Chinese place is meant primarily as take out. I know they used to deliver when I was in JEC, (high school in Elizabeth,) but that was large orders.

I'm pretty sure they'll deliver orders over $25, and I know they deliver to Staten Island, so delivery to EWR shouldn't be a problem.

Call for more info: (908) 353-1818

2- havent eaten @ Star in ages did once and didnt care for it , but they are new owners since then , wasnt anything great but hey its Glatt, hot and fleshig
Ownership has changed a few times. It's decent, nothing to write home about but not total crap either. And probably only shot at a deli sandwich.

3- Jerusalem Pizza isnt what it once was but like Star its hot, fresh and Milhig. I actually drive way out of my to Livingston to the pizza place there on Route10 its owned by the people that started the Elizabeth place so the food is 1000 times better then Elizabeths and is very good
I find them both to be equivalent. But Jerusalem Pizza in Elizabeth CAN, depending on the time of day, get very crowded. Especially if it's during JEC/Bruriah high school lunch break. (roughly 12:45PM-1:30)

most Dunkins have single servings of cream cheese and maybe even the lox spread. the bagels are frozen and have a Hof-K I know many people that will eat them at any DD. Make sure to ask how they slice the bagels if via a bagel cutter (special device) no problem if with a knife tell them you dont want it sliced. As already posted the DD n Elizabeth is all kosher. theres a DD in the A comcourse of TermC in the food court, except for the rubber eggs not much more to be had the all kosher joint
For real food, I'd suggest just going to DD in Elizabeth.

OP, is this a domestic layover or international? If you really do have 5 and 3 hours as a layover, (and that's not consumed by passport control, baggage collection, customs...) then you for sure have the time to head to Elizabeth, and if it's a 5 hour layover, it will give you something to do.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
OP, is this a domestic layover or international? If you really do have 5 and 3 hours as a layover, (and that's not consumed by passport control, baggage collection, customs...) then you for sure have the time to head to Elizabeth, and if it's a 5 hour layover, it will give you something to do.
the 5 hr is from a international incoming, so i really have 3 ;-)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I endorse getting a cab to Elmora Avenue and West Jersey Street in Elizabeth. On that corner is a bank that has an ATM if needed.

From there, on the that block and the next is a wide variety. The Chinese place has what I think is the best General Chou's Chicken anywhere. Next door is a Fleish place with schwarma to steaks. If you want a snack for the plane, there is a small supermarket next door. Directly across the street is Jerusalem Pizza, which began it's life where the Chinese place is now.( I lived about 1 block from there). Kosher bakery, Kosher Dunkin Doughnuts, Pathmark are some of the many options. The ride is approximately 3 miles, with one turn from the airport, off of Route 1 onto Elmora Avenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.