Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Treasure Island - Nightly "Tax" added to Radisson award stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver

I just stayed at Treasure Island (TI) using Radisson points. 45k points a night (+ $44 in resort fees a night incl tax.) is a good deal on a busy Vegas weekend.

However! On checkin, I was told I would have to pay an additional $13.38 a night in taxes (separate to the tax on the resort fee). This seemed odd as this was not mentioned at time of reservation and I have never had to pay tax in the U.S. on an award stay - paid for fully with points - since in the U.S. I thought room taxes were always calculated based on nightly rate - but no big deal really.

However it did make me curious and a quick google later on found this article. It seems TI is adding on a nightly fee to award stays and telling customers it is a tax when it is in fact possibly not a tax, it sounds very possible it is just an extra fee they are adding and pocketing.

Just for fun, I asked for a copy of my folio by email when I got home and this $13.38 a night fee is listed on the folio simply as "front desk". I've now asked them to explain by email what this fee is.

Perhaps this is indeed a legal tax, but it seems very suspect. If they are indeed charging an extra fee and telling people it is a room tax, when it is in fact not being passed on to the government as a tax, is this not illegal?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
As an FYI, Treasure Island never responded to tell me why they were charging guests $13.38 a night in "taxes" for award stays - they just refunded the money. It seems like they are adding this on as an arbitrary "award fee" and referring to it verbally as taxes and hoping that most people do not question it. Sigh...Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.