Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu or Radisson (was Park Inn now Radisson Red) at Oslo Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu or Radisson (was Park Inn now Radisson Red) at Oslo Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:00 am

Free breakfast in superior rooms in Radisson Blue?

I can see in the description of the type of rooms in the official webpage (https://www.radissonblu.com/en/hotel...#/superior-rom) that superior rooms includes "super breakfast buffet" (I put a screenshot below) but when I do the simulation of a booking, in the details does not make any reference to the breakfast, can someone confirm that the superior rooms includes breakfast at no additional cost although is not indicated at the time of booking?

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:09 am
koz

Programs: QF, VA, CX
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I monitored prices for the PI OSL from Jan to June, no drops, but rapid increase about 3-4 weeks before.
Thanks Oliver2002. I know from experience that the Rydges airport hotel here in SYD is much more expensive if you book close to the date, as you described for PI at OSL, but looking at both the Park Inn & Radisson Blu for OSL - if I was to book to stay next Tuesday night, 7 August, the price is actually quite cheap (Members rates of $A208 for PI and $A240 for RB and these are flexible rates so they must have unsold rooms) compared to the prices for next July. I've just had a look at prices for rooms on a Tuesday each month in both the Radisson Blu & Park Inn from now until next July, when we need to book a room for a Tuesday night, to get an idea of the variation in prices. Looking at 28 August, just under a month away, and then generally the first Tuesday of each month from September, the prices are not varying greatly until the end of May 2019.

I have a Radisson Rewards Gold membership through my American Express Platinum card and looking at a standard room at both hotels the Advance Purchase Members Rate and Flexible Members Rate are generally showing as around $A260 (Adv P)/$A306 (Flex) for PI and $A259/$A324 for RB each month, with October being cheaper. However as soon as I get to June & July 2019 the rates jump by over one hundred Australian Dollars (approx 64 Euro) to $A360/$A450 for PI and $A374/$A467 for RB. Considering that this is a large increase in price for June and July next year compared with all months over a 10 month period between now and the end of May I think I'll wait and see if the July 2019 prices drop to similar levels as the other months before booking.

Last edited by koz; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:20 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by koz
Thanks Oliver2002. I know from experience that the Rydges airport hotel here in SYD is much more expensive if you book close to the date, as you described for PI at OSL, but looking at both the Park Inn & Radisson Blu for OSL - if I was to book to stay next Tuesday night, 7 August, the price is actually quite cheap (Members rates of $A208 for PI and $A240 for RB and these are flexible rates so they must have unsold rooms) compared to the prices for next July. I've just had a look at prices for rooms on a Tuesday each month in both the Radisson Blu & Park Inn from now until next July, when we need to book a room for a Tuesday night, to get an idea of the variation in prices. Looking at 28 August, just under a month away, and then generally the first Tuesday of each month from September, the prices are not varying greatly until the end of May 2019.

I have a Radisson Rewards Gold membership through my American Express Platinum card and looking at a standard room at both hotels the Advance Purchase Members Rate and Flexible Members Rate are generally showing as around $A260 (Adv P)/$A306 (Flex) for PI and $A259/$A324 for RB each month, with October being cheaper. However as soon as I get to June & July 2019 the rates jump by over one hundred Australian Dollars (approx 64 Euro) to $A360/$A450 for PI and $A374/$A467 for RB. Considering that this is a large increase in price for June and July next year compared with all months over a 10 month period between now and the end of May I think I'll wait and see if the July 2019 prices drop to similar levels as the other months before booking.
How can you compare Peak times to non-peak times??? June-July-Aug are peak tourist periods and for sure will cost more. Same by Alaska, if they are even open in the winter its alot cheaper then the summer months when everyone is heading there and the hotels have to make the $$$ during those 3 months to pay for the whole year in most cases. Phoneix Az, is very cheap in the summer and way expensive during the winter

You can always hedge it by booking a rate you can CX w/o penalty , which is what I do most of the time when the stay isnt near term
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:16 pm
koz

Programs: QF, VA, CX
Originally Posted by craz
How can you compare Peak times to non-peak times??? June-July-Aug are peak tourist periods and for sure will cost more. Same by Alaska, if they are even open in the winter its alot cheaper then the summer months when everyone is heading there and the hotels have to make the $$$ during those 3 months to pay for the whole year in most cases. Phoneix Az, is very cheap in the summer and way expensive during the winter

You can always hedge it by booking a rate you can CX w/o penalty , which is what I do most of the time when the stay isnt near term
Thanks craz. I realise that June-July-August will be peak times but I was comparing August this year with July next year and saw that August this year is a lot cheaper, even though it’s in the next few weeks. I've just had a look at more dates in July next year and see that for PI on Tuesdays the price drops from 23 July so the period from early June until mid July seem the be the high peak and then drops back to similar prices as throughout the year from the second half of July.

Booking a flexible rate at this stage is a good idea as you suggested, as if the prices don't change I can always cancel and re-book the non refundable advance purchase rate.

Last edited by koz; Jul 31, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by piblo
Hello, I thought the free breakfast was just for platinum, not for gold members ¿could you confirm it?
I stay here a lot, when I check in they can see I'm a regular and I'm not afraid to ask if I can have a free breakfast, I haven't been turned down since they started charging for breakfast. It used to be free for everyone, this was standard in all Norwegian hotels until about 3 or so years ago, I guess operators in Norway realised they could charge extra for breakfast and people would pay for it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I stay here a lot, when I check in they can see I'm a regular and I'm not afraid to ask if I can have a free breakfast, I haven't been turned down since they started charging for breakfast. It used to be free for everyone, this was standard in all Norwegian hotels until about 3 or so years ago, I guess operators in Norway realised they could charge extra for breakfast and people would pay for it.
Of the hotels I use in the region, RadissonBlu hotels in Scandinavia were the major brand presence that was most inconsistent about whether or not breakfast was included for all booked room guests.

The Radisson OSL has been charging many guests for breakfast for longer than the Park Inn OSL has been around.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2018 at 3:51 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Of the hotels I use in the region, RadissonBlu hotels in Scandinavia were the major brand presence that was most inconsistent about whether or not breakfast was included for all booked room guests.

The Radisson OSL has been charging many guests for breakfast for longer than the Park Inn OSL has been around.
Looking at my travel receipts Radisson Blu OSL started charging for breakfast about three years ago, which was about the same time they brought in the Supabreakfast. They now have another breakfast concept and still haven't brought bacon back. Park Inn has been open about 7 years.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
Looking at my travel receipts Radisson Blu OSL started charging for breakfast about three years ago, which was about the same time they brought in the Supabreakfast. They now have another breakfast concept and still haven't brought bacon back. Park Inn has been open about 7 years.
I recall something about being hit up for breakfast charges at the Radisson OSL about 7-10 years ago, which was before the Park Inn opened there. And breakfast charge was why I started to choose the Park Inn instead of the Radisson at OSL. While it’s possible that it may have been a goof up (on my part perhaps) with the staff thinking that I wasn’t a hotel guest those times, that wasn’t the sense of what I got at the time.

Now the Park Inn OSL generally does charge for breakfast. It hasn't been that way for all of the last 7 years.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:38 am
Old May 15, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
So, for a February overnight by a non-elite, perhaps the Radisson Blu is preferred because it's a shorter walk, so maybe doable in just a shirt (no jacket)? Breakfast will be extra either way (either by booking a rate that includes it, or paying the upcharge in advance).
Old May 16, 2019, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
So, for a February overnight by a non-elite, perhaps the Radisson Blu is preferred because it's a shorter walk, so maybe doable in just a shirt (no jacket)? Breakfast will be extra either way (either by booking a rate that includes it, or paying the upcharge in advance).
If you want to run from the OSL terminal to a nearby hotel in a bikini in February, then the Radisson Blu involves less chance of freezing as much as if walking to the Park Inn OSL under the same conditions.
the810 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
So, for a February overnight by a non-elite, perhaps the Radisson Blu is preferred because it's a shorter walk, so maybe doable in just a shirt (no jacket)?.......
Walking with just a shirt in Oslo in February? You've got moxy. Both require decent distance of walk mostly under covered, not enclosed, walkway. I would not chance it in February.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Last June I was freezing my behind off during the short walk to the PI. Even Norwegians won't dare that walk in a shirt in February.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
Walking with just a shirt in Oslo in February? You've got moxy. Both require decent distance of walk mostly under covered, not enclosed, walkway. I would not chance it in February.
I've done the walk from the closest exit of the terminal -- near where there was paid baggage storage -- to the Park Inn OSL and done it more than once in January (although not this year) in just pants and without a jacket/coat/sweater. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't nearly as bad as even my 1-2 minute wait for hotel shuttle buses at ORD in February with more clothes than that. I have also seen young kids do it, and it didn't seem to be a "character building moment" either. But to each their own clothes.

If your shoes don't have good traction, then maybe the walk would be slower or more dangerous at times at OSL, but I'm used to way more extreme weather than Oslo offers in winter. I've done it also in shoes with not-so-good traction for the weather, and I'm not going to claim that is wise either.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
My full photo-heavy review of the Radisson Blu Airport Hotel at OSL is in my latest trip report here:

Singapore via Qsuite and the World’s Most Audacious First Class Lounge
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Genius1
My full photo-heavy review of the Radisson Blu Airport Hotel at OSL is in my latest trip report here:

Singapore via Qsuite and the World’s Most Audacious First Class Lounge
Thanks for this on both counts: Radisson and QR. I'll be staying there next week and doing the same QR flights on Tuesday. Odd that QR gave out the soft case amenity kits on both your segments and no PJs?

Last edited by Shareholder; Oct 2, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.