Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Bank/Club Carlson Free night

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
In my experience, the two events were not related. We each got the cert before the annual fee was due.
Thanks, that was my experience as well although all with personal cards.. were any of yours the business cards?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Frudd38, I bet your CSR confused these special free nights with the ones we earn for spending >$10K in a calendar year, which (last I heard) are valid at USA hotels only.
I asked for my special freebie this Aug. in response to this thread & got it in Sep. via e-mail--on a Personal card. I can't speak re Business cards.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by frudd38
were any of yours the business cards?
We have one of each.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Brendan
Frudd38, I bet your CSR confused these special free nights with the ones we earn for spending >$10K in a calendar year, which (last I heard) are valid at USA hotels only.
I asked for my special freebie this Aug. in response to this thread & got it in Sep. via e-mail--on a Personal card. I can't speak re Business cards.
I was afraid of that too but clarified and she said herself these will be issued because of the devaluation earlier this year.. anyways I'm not getting my hopes up and will report back.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:47 pm

E-certificate and no room??

Same experience here - absolutely no availability for low season/any hotel world wide.

Also, my ecert was issued in August 2015. does this mean the stay has to be before it expires in August 2016, or the reservations has to be made by August 2016, even if the stay is later?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:09 am

If I downgrade to the no-fee version CC - will I still be able to book a room with the e-cert I received last year?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CherylD
If I downgrade to the no-fee version CC - will I still be able to book a room with the e-cert I received last year?
I don't think that it would matter, but why not go ahead and use the ecert first and then downgrade the card? From what I have read, your ecert reservation will still be OK even if you cancel the card.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by sbbi
why i cannot find any availability using the free night e-cert? I tried NYC, Beijing, Chicago, and Charlotte for 1/16/2016.
Originally Posted by fujiters
Emailed to complain about being unable to find availability at any time, even though rooms were available by Gold points, and our other cert was showing availability.
Originally Posted by bmrisko
My ecert is loaded in my account, but nothing I search has availability...has anyone run into this and had the ecert fixed so it actually shows availability?
Originally Posted by Annapurna
Same experience here - absolutely no availability for low season/any hotel world wide.
So, I think I may have found the workaround to get availability for these certs to display!
I was looking to book a night in Europe using that certificate and also kept running into the 'no inventory for any date, anywhere' problem, despite seeing rooms available for Goldpoints.
After tinkering around, I got the availability to show up and managed to book the exact date/hotel I wanted. The trick is to NOT try and apply the cert. in your initial search!

So, these are the steps I used. (you don't need to be logged in to your ClubCarlson account at this point):
1- Do a normal search with only the city and the date you want to use the cert. for.
Do not select any other option or enter your cert. code.
2- Once the search results show up with the cash/cash+points/points options, then,
3- Click on the "More Search Options" in the "Modify Search" box on the left column of the page
4- In the box that pops up as a result, enter your E-Cert code AND the Promotional Code (which should be USBANKEC for this particular certificate)
5- Clicking on the "Search Again" button with the new parameters will update the search results with all the hotels for that city, for that night and with the sought-for certificate availability.

You should then be able to book the room from there without much trouble (you'll need to log into your account at some point in the booking process).

At least that's how it worked for me.
Can anyone else replicate and confirm this?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Tenerife
After sending a message requesting the certificate (to offset the devaluation of the 2nd night free stay using card), had no reply. Received no confirmation or certificate, but a 7,500 point "discretionary adjustment" magically appeared in my account. So, not great, but certainly better than nothing!
I sent secure messages from our 2 accounts, complaining about the changes and/or asking for the certificate. I got one letter in the mail a week or two later, saying they couldn't give me a certificate, but were going to give me 7500 points instead. My wife never received anything - no certificate, no letter, no points.

Anybody else run into this? The 7500 points are really pretty much worthless to us - we already used our signup bonuses, and we're not going to ever have a high enough points balance again for 7500 more to be of any use to us.

Last edited by bobert24; Jan 14, 2016 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
So, I think I may have found the workaround to get availability for these certs to display!
I was looking to book a night in Europe using that certificate and also kept running into the 'no inventory for any date, anywhere' problem, despite seeing rooms available for Goldpoints.
After tinkering around, I got the availability to show up and managed to book the exact date/hotel I wanted. The trick is to NOT try and apply the cert. in your initial search!

So, these are the steps I used. (you don't need to be logged in to your ClubCarlson account at this point):
1- Do a normal search with only the city and the date you want to use the cert. for.
2- Once the search results show up with the cash/cash+points/points options, then,
3- Click on the "More Search Options" in the "Modify Search" box on the left column of the page
4- In the box that pops up as a result, enter your E-Cert code AND the Promotional Code (which should be USBANKEC for this particular certificate)
5- Clicking on the "Search Again" button with the new parameters will update the search results with all the hotels for that city, for that night and with the sought-for certificate availability.

You should then be able to book the room from there without much trouble (you'll need to log into your account at some point in the booking process).

Thanks for this ... works for me. Don't know how we were supposed to know to use USBANKEC promo code.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by DealsRock
Quote:

Thanks for this ... works for me. Don't know how we were supposed to know to use USBANKEC promo code.
When I used the "sorry we took away the second night free" cert(s) - had two- I got an error using the USBANKEC promo code but without it I could reserve two rooms in Bremen Germany
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold , Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Ambassador Spire
Worked for me on a couple of searches within Europe for dates in June 2016. THANKS

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
In the T&Cs I see the usual language, "may not be brokered, bartered, sold or altered in any way." But nothing to prohibit using these E-certs for a relative or friend !
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

HmmDonuts, your solution worked for me, and for my husband too. Thank you!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:55 pm

My cert expires in August. I have no plan to stay at any hotel until next year. It has to be redeemed before that or I have use it before that?

Book on August with Cert for stay in Next FEB will work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.