Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended London Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Recommended London Hotel

Using Carlson points, which hotel in London is most recommended? Looking for recommendations based on location and quality of hotel (good customer service, breakfast, & rooms). We'll be in London for three nights, and doing typical tourist sightseeing and theater. Appreciate any recommendations on what's considered the overall best Carlson hotel in London. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
I live in London and stayed only at the Sherlock Holmes once so I cannot commend on the quality of the others. I cannot be positive about the Sherlock. Being students I was forced to share a room with another male student and being this a boutique hotel it had glass doors/windows in the bathroom. I wouldn't like to see my girlfriend taking a dump let alone a colleague.

However I know my way around in London I would say the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel is perfect located in the heart of London. It is close to the tube (Picadilly line directly from LHR) and also good for getting around. For 50K points it is outstanding value considering normal rate is £250pn. In the weekend it can get a bit rowdy in the area; well probably any day.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
My suggestion would be to go for The May Fair - a couple of minutes walk from Green Park tube, easy walking distance from most of the west end. Have stayed several times, and had a modest upgrade each time.

Alternative would be Mercer Street.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:10 am

I am staying at the Plaza on the River, London in may. It had the best ratings on tripadvisor of the club carlson hotels. Its location may not be as good as the mayfair but I like the view of the river.

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hote...1-7tj/gbplaza/
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by drdrew450
I am staying at the Plaza on the River, London in may. It had the best ratings on tripadvisor of the club carlson hotels. Its location may not be as good as the mayfair but I like the view of the river.

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hote...1-7tj/gbplaza/
Was recently in London and stayed at the Park Plaza Westminster and also stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. I would concur with drdrew that I really liked being near the river, jubliee gardens and the whole area. There are advantages such as pool and such at the Westminster. Tube stop is a small walk.

Of course if you want to be in the West End, the Mayfair is a great choice and seemingly a more luxurious choice.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
I just spent two nights at the hampshire and now am at the may fair. Hampshire is right in the theater district facing Leischester Square. 2 tube stops within 3 minute walk. Very busy area with many restaurants on the square. I had a room facing the back and it was quiet at night. Rooms that face the square might be noisey at night. Staff was very good and room was spacious.
The May Fair is also very close to tube stop, room is just as large, but wifi is slower. May Fair is full of business people, hampshire had more tourists. I actually liked the hampshire better, but both are very good and centrally located.

Update: Hampshire has tkts 1/2 price theater tickets booth just outside the door. May Fair has grocery store across the street!

Last edited by MSPpete; Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by MSPpete

Update: Hampshire has tkts 1/2 price theater tickets booth just outside the door. May Fair has grocery store across the street!
Just want to add that the grocery store has a decent selection of sandwiches, salads, soups etc.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17928827-post3.html

A review of 8 properties
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:26 am

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

reviews are outstanding
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:52 pm

Radisson Blu Mercer Street - hands down. I've stayed at a few and this location is the best, lively during the day (right at seven dials in Covent Garden) but pretty quiet at night. Excellent options all around for coffee (Monmouth coffee is a must, Hotel Chocolat), eats (avoid the touristy stuff like Jamie Olivers - try many of the great smaller wine and tapas cafe's), shopping (Oxford madness is 15 minute walk, boutiques on your doorstep). Tube, Soho, theatres, Trafalgar square all 5 minute walk. Very attentive staff, good (small) gym, decent and free wi-fi. We actually spent a fair amount of time in the Covent Garden Hotel's lounge pre-dinner right next door - pricey but great cocktails and appy's. ^
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by kellyl
Radisson Blu Mercer Street - hands down. I've stayed at a few and this location is the best, lively during the day (right at seven dials in Covent Garden) but pretty quiet at night. Excellent options all around for coffee (Monmouth coffee is a must, Hotel Chocolat), eats (avoid the touristy stuff like Jamie Olivers - try many of the great smaller wine and tapas cafe's), shopping (Oxford madness is 15 minute walk, boutiques on your doorstep). Tube, Soho, theatres, Trafalgar square all 5 minute walk. Very attentive staff, good (small) gym, decent and free wi-fi. We actually spent a fair amount of time in the Covent Garden Hotel's lounge pre-dinner right next door - pricey but great cocktails and appy's. ^
Agree completely. I just stayed there on points for two nights early in July and it was amazing, primarily due to an amazing location. Used extra points for better room which had a king bed and was larger than the normal ones. To maximize the 2 for 1 deal with credit card I switched hotels to the Tower Hill Hotel Indigo for the final night in London. It was an amazing hotel with nicer rooms, however the location was terrible compared to the Mercer Street. If you want large rooms seems like Plaza on the River is best, but for a location standpoint I'd say Mercer Street is the best in London.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:16 pm

I just stayed at the May Fair. Great location. Green Park Station is just a block or two away, and walkable to where the theaters are. Very nice rooms. A bit noisy on the weekend, so trying getting a room on upper floors. They will accommodate.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:36 pm

I stayed at Plaza on the River in July and would highly recommend it for family travel. The views of the river were nice and it was great to have a little extra room to stretch out. But being on the other side of the river is not ideal - feels a little detached from the more lively parts of the city and is about a 10 minute walk to the tube. Therefore I would look to the other more centrally located hotels (May Fair, Mercer, etc) if I were traveling solo or with a spouse.

BTW, I am gold via Club Carlson credit card. I booked 2 nights at Plaza on the River for 50k points in the studio. I put in for a room upgrade via the links in the confirmation email - was 27 GBP/night for a space available upgrade at check-in to a 1BR suite. When I checked in, they upgraded me another category to the 2BR suite riverview for the 27gBP.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Which Radisson property is the easiest to get to (walking distance) from a tube station coming from the LHR? Will only be in London one night and will be taking the tube to St. Pancras the next day. Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by moxielady
Which Radisson property is the easiest to get to (walking distance) from a tube station coming from the LHR? Will only be in London one night and will be taking the tube to St. Pancras the next day. Thanks!
The Mayfair and the two hotels at Leicester Square are all very close to the Picadilly from Heathrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.