Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso: any experience?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:16 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso: any experience?

I have booked the Radisson Blu Hotel in Tromso. Who has stayed and what did you think? TripAdvisor reports are scathing, particularly on room size and on chaos during the breakfast buffet. On the other hand, free is good and I will be using points. I've put a standby request for a room upgrade for 350 NOK.

What do you recommend to see and do in Tromso and surrounding area? Should we rent a car to be able to see more scenery? Are there half day or full day cruises where one can see some of the fjords?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have booked the Radisson Blu Hotel in Tromso. Who has stayed and what did you think? TripAdvisor reports are scathing, particularly on room size and on chaos during the breakfast buffet. On the other hand, free is good and I will be using points. I've put a standby request for a room upgrade for 350 NOK.

What do you recommend to see and do in Tromso and surrounding area? Should we rent a car to be able to see more scenery? Are there half day or full day cruises where one can see some of the fjords?
Hi,

I stayed there for one night on the way to Longyearbyen, because my flight from tromso was cancelled.
SAS paid everything, the hotel itself is in the city center and around the water promenade where the fishing boats going out.
The Hotel looks tired and the rooms are mediocre and very small as in all scandinavian countries.
Breakfast buffet nothing special,
I would not stay there not even with points and less with paying for the stay
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:22 pm

Stayed there for a few days including New Year's Eve in 2004/05. I don't remember many details of that stay except that it felt overpriced and that we had expected some more support from a Radisson hotel for NYE activities.

There is plenty to do in Tromso for a few days (Arctic Cathedral, Polar Museum, Tromso Museum, Polaria). You can also take a bus to Skjervoy and catch the Hurtigruten ship back to Tromso (4 hours). IIRC, this trip was arranged for us by the Radisson.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:53 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Our stay exceeded our very low expectations. Overall, the hotel looked fresh and used vibrant colors. We arrived at noon on a day when they had 200 check outs. The front desk clerk worked diligently to find a room for us. Initially, all she had was a business room with 2 twin beds. The room had a nice view over the harbor. However, I had put in a standby upgrade and hoped for larger. I was happy to wait up to an hour. She searched again and found a larger room. It was on a lower floor, but still faced the harbor. We had a dead on view of the Arctic Cathedral. The room was spacious with a queen bed.

The breakfast buffet was sufficient. The work out room was not. My husband said that it had two pieces of equipment. Internet was free for everyone. There was a pleasant lobby with lots of seating.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Good location, poor hotel, the reviews on TripAdvisor are entirely accurate IMO.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Recent reviews on TripAdvisor seem decent. With Cash and Points at 10K+US$114, it seems a good deal. Any visits in the past 2 years?
Old May 25, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
We stayed there Christmas 2014. Whilst it is not likely to appear at the top of anyone's list of most desired properties we found it to be more than adequate. As CC credit card holders we had both our rooms upgraded to the Business level. From what I can recall breakfast was included and once again nothing remarkable and certainly nothing horrid. Staff were delightful to deal with. I would stay there again if I was in the area, but then again not much choice really.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Stayed 3 nights there last week, it was NOK909 per night incl. taxes, around US$345 total for the 3 nights-- very good price. I think breakfast is included in all rates.
As a Gold was upgraded to a gorgeous huge corner Business Class room with harbor and bridge views. Breakfast was good quality. Wifi worked well. Front desk staff was super super friendly!
I'm very happy with the stay. Great central location. I rented a car the last day and drove all day, went to Sommaroy, (Summer Island)f such unbelievable scenery on the trip!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:57 pm
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Stayed 3 nights there last week, it was NOK909 per night incl. taxes, around US$345 total for the 3 nights-- very good price. I think breakfast is included in all rates.
As a Gold was upgraded to a gorgeous huge corner Business Class room with harbor and bridge views. Breakfast was good quality. Wifi worked well. Front desk staff was super super friendly!
I'm very happy with the stay. Great central location. I rented a car the last day and drove all day, went to Sommaroy, (Summer Island)f such unbelievable scenery on the trip!
Great to hear that you received nice upgrade. In the begging of August I am going to stay there for a weekend. I am wondering how is the car parking organized near the hotel. Is it complimentary for hotel guests?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by R7U
Great to hear that you received nice upgrade. In the begging of August I am going to stay there for a weekend. I am wondering how is the car parking organized near the hotel. Is it complimentary for hotel guests?

Yes it was a lovely stay.
I didn't have a car, just rented one my last day and had already checked out. I know Tromso had some 24-hour parking passes (?) that you can purchase.... I think thru visitor info center. They were very helpful there by the way, and it's right behind the Radisson.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone has experience viewing Aurora Borealis from Tromso?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by TerryK
Anyone has experience viewing Aurora Borealis from Tromso?
Yes, saw it last year just after Christmas .
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any recent experience since the last post.

I'm tentatively holding some days there in Nov.; but my other option is a more cabin-style place two blocks away that we've stayed at before and it was "nice" in a charming sort of way. I should also mention it's about $350 cheaper for the same dates.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Yes, saw it last year just after Christmas .
Visible near Radisson or do you need to go far out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.