Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

(EXPIRED) 2012 Big Night Giveaway Promos Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

== Welcome to the Club Carlson Summer 2012 Promos Master Thread! Please ask your questions in this thread. This first post will be updated periodically. All information is correct to the best of my knowledge, but no warranties. Read the T&Cs! ==

Club Carlson has four promotions this summer:

- Radisson 50k points for one stay -- CAUTION: Radisson has reached its registration cap and the bonus is now 15k.

- Country Inn 44k points for one stay -- CAUTION: Country Inn has reached its registration cap and the bonus is now 15k.

- Park Inn 44k points for one stay -- CAUTION: Park Inn has reached its registration cap and the bonus is now 15k.

- Park Plaza 50k for one stay -- CAUTION: Park Plaza has reached the cap and the bonus is now 15k

You may register for one, two, three, or all of these promotions, as long as the registration slots haven’t been taken up. The Radisson and Country Inn promo went live on 5/15, the Park Inn promo went active on 5/22, and the Park Plaza promo is now active as well (6/28).

This immensely generous promotion has gained a lot of attention from bloggers and been featured on the busy forums on FT, and many of you will likely want to earn your points and immediately transfer them to miles or redeem for premium rooms in expensive locations. Please consider sticking around! Club Carlson is working hard to attract customers to its program, and some of their hotels deserve a second look. At the same time, we are trying to grow the FT Club Carlson forum, and we would greatly appreciate if you’d give back to the community by contributing to this forum. FT is about more than just taking advantage of generous promotions … Come back, share your wisdom, write reports on the properties you redeemed your points at, etc. Enjoy the promo and have a great summer!

Do I have to register?
Yes, everybody should register, even though there were reports that members with Concierge status are enrolled automatically.

How many points can I earn per account?
You can only earn one bonus per brand per account, for a maximum of 138k if you participate in all three promos. If you have a dozen stays at Radisson during the promo period, only one will trigger the 50k bonus.

Is this promo open to all countries?
Yes. Last year’s promo was only valid for the US, but the current one is worldwide.

How do I know I’m properly registered?
You should receive a confirmation email. However, some FTers have reported receiving no confirmation. If you didn’t get an email, try to register again, and you will get a message “you are already registered.”

Will I get points for reservations booked before the promo went live?
Yes (this changed as of 5/19). The terms state that the promotion is not valid on existing reservations, but because Carlson posted on its Facebook site in advance of the promo that existing bookings would receive points, such bookings will now be honored.

Will I have to check in and out?
Yes. Club Carlson are aware that this is an immensely lucrative promo, and they have built in safeguards against abuse. Last year, FTers found one hotel that allowed phantom stays, and Club Carlson shut this down quickly.

Can I have multiple accounts?
The T&Cs don’t expressly prohibit having multiple accounts, but it may be covered by some of the fraud language in the T&Cs. It’s certainly not within the spirit of this promotion, and you should expect deletion of duplicate accounts. There’s nothing wrong, however, with having one account each for wife/husband/etc … if someone else travels with you, it shouldn’t be a problem to book one night under your account and the next under theirs.

Will Points+Cash bookings count? What about corporate rates or airport parking rates?
The promo terms state that the bonus will be given for a stay on any rate for which points are awarded. This includes Points+Cash, 2-for-1 (applicable to Gold members only), rates that include extras such as park-stay-fly, and most corporate rates. For the latter, make sure that your negotiated rate doesn’t specifically exclude points.

How can I use my free night?
Although Club Carlson markets this promotion as an opportunity to earn a free night, you will actually receive points credited to your account instead of a free night certificate. You may redeem the points in any way you see fit, including hotel stays (starting at 9k points per night), Points+Cash (starting at 5k points + a cash supplement determined by the hotel), airline miles (100k points = 18k miles, 50k points = 8k miles, 2k points = 250 miles), in-hotel rewards, gift cards, or even a paypal credit. You can also transfer points to other Club Carlson members.

Do Club Carlson Points expire?
No, but accounts with 24 months of inactivity may be closed.

How do I find a cheap rate?
Most people will be constrained by which hotels they can conveniently get to, either near your domicile or in a destination you plan to travel to. (The promo isn’t generous enough to warrant flying halfway around the globe to check into the cheapest hotels). Check the Carlson site to find applicable properties. If your dates are completely flexible, you may want to look at the Travelocity flexible dates calendar, which allows searching for standard rates over a wide range of dates. Also consider applicable discount rates like AAA, senior citizen, etc. Finally, there will be plenty of discussion on this thread, so check back frequently!

Can I book on third party websites (such as Travelocity, Expedia, etc)?
No. You must book on a Club Carlson website, rates booked on third party websites do not earn points. Club Carlson has a Best Rate Guarantee that will match a competitor's lower rate and give a 25% discount. Note that only direct rate comparisons immediately viewable may be matched, so you will be out of luck if a lower rate on a competitor's website is due to using a coupon. If you consider a BRG claim, note the unusual terms of Club Carlson's guarantee (refundability terms may change and cancellations will attract, at minimum, a $25 penalty).

How much are Club Carlson points worth? Does it make sense for me to participate in this promo?
There's debate about the value of CC points (see this thread on valuation). If you redeem 50k points at a $500 property in Paris, your points can be worth 1cpp. More typical redemptions will yield values of perhaps .5-.8cpp, and exceptional values can be much higher. Now, is this worth going out of your way for? Diverting a business trip from another chain will probably be a no-brainer for most travelers (as this is a rather promo-poor summer), and if you're considering doing a mattress run you should do the math and figure out whether it's worth the investment.

Receive 10% cash back: TopCashBack offers 10% cash back for Radisson bookings (for a limited time). If you don't have a TopCashBack account, sign up via the Conga in S.P.A.M. ($10 new member signup bonus).

Last edited by jpdx; Jul 12, 2012 at 1:20 am
Old May 14, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
their servers must be getting flooded... sites are barely working. able to slowly get thru on the sogocountry.com site, but not the radisson one...

Edit... have to watch their video to get to the registration... oh man...

finally got registered but there was some pretty huge lag trying to get through. I bet it was a much bigger flood of people than they expected.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:05 pm

I am in!
Old May 14, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice job bloggers.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Yea...I think i'm going to wait until it slows down. I put in my # but I got an error on the next screen. I hope there is a way to tell you are registered for sure...
Old May 14, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I blame the Web site developers who put in an automatic redirect at 12:01am. What a lovely way to beta test your Web site's load capacity....
Old May 14, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: LX
Originally Posted by ljknecht570
big surprise...the site has crashed! no luv for me!
Thats not really surprising now that they want us to watch a CC promo video first requiring a lot of bandwidth....

You get an email when registered.

Originally Posted by TAWS
Yea...I think i'm going to wait until it slows down. I put in my # but I got an error on the next screen. I hope there is a way to tell you are registered for sure...
try to register again. i clicked twice cause it was lagging, and it said i was already registered.

I got a confirmation screen on both of them that i printed and saved.
Community Director Emerita

Smart move by Carlson - I just got emails confirming my registration. Thank you, Carlson.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by pshuang
I blame the Web site developers who put in an automatic redirect at 12:01am. What a lovely way to beta test your Web site's load capacity....
automatic redirect and then make thousands of people watch a video streamed from your site.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
Nice job bloggers.
Well, it was as slow as molasses and lots of timeouts, but managed to register for the promos.

And since there's tens of thousands of spots instead of like 100 or 500 (*cough*DiscoverAmerica*cough*), the 100K/35K spots for the good deals in the promo should last for at LEAST 5 or 10 more minutes.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
We were able to skip the video and register by refreshing our internet browser (video wasn't loading). Not a wise decision to add the video step!

Wife received registration emails immediately confirming the 50,000 and 44,000 pts.

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TAWS
I guess some of the kettles gave up and went to bed! I got through. Never saw the video though.

The country inn version sends an email confirmation.

Programs: LX
Hooray. worked well for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.