Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this junk Carlson approved or a virus?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Is this junk Carlson approved or a virus?

After making a reservation at a Country Inns and Suites, an annoying flashing banner type ad appeared claiming to be a "UNIQUE UPGRADE OPPORTUNITY" from eStandby. It looks like junk, but it had my information and also appears in the email confirmation and in my Club Carlson account. This computer is new and the riskiest thing its been used for is flyertalk, so a virus would be surprising.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
After making a reservation at a Country Inns and Suites, an annoying flashing banner type ad appeared claiming to be a "UNIQUE UPGRADE OPPORTUNITY" from eStandby. It looks like junk, but it had my information and also appears in the email confirmation and in my Club Carlson account. This computer is new and the riskiest thing its been used for is flyertalk, so a virus would be surprising.

Has anyone else encountered this?
With Hyatt and Hilton, seen it repeatedly -- even as someone with Diamond status. With Radisson, heard about it but not yet been on the receiving end of it.

I am not a fan of the approach, as it means reduced chances of my getting an upgrade on a complimentary basis tied to my frequent guest status.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
With Hyatt and Hilton, seen it repeatedly -- even as someone with Diamond status. With Radisson, heard about it but not yet been on the receiving end of it.

I am not a fan of the approach, as it means reduced chances of my getting an upgrade on a complimentary basis tied to my frequent guest status.
Thanks for clearing that up. The junk is Carlson sanctioned, but is not something I will ever participate in or encourage anyone else to click on.

At least I don't have to worry about a virus or someone having intercepted the credit card info I used to hold the reservation. Plus between the booking bonus and the triple miles promo I'm getting over 95 points per $ on a room that's 10% cheaper than the reservation I had with Towneplace.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Thanks for clearing that up. The junk is Carlson sanctioned, but is not something I will ever participate in or encourage anyone else to click on.

At least I don't have to worry about a virus or someone having intercepted the credit card info I used to hold the reservation. Plus between the booking bonus and the triple miles promo I'm getting over 95 points per $ on a room that's 10% cheaper than the reservation I had with Towneplace.
I think this is ne, just made one paid reservation at the Guatemala city Radisson for march and at the end of my booking I got an oportunity to an e-upgrade when possible at check in for 46 more also made one award reservation at the same hotel which also offered me an upgrade to business room including breakfast and welcome drink for only 4$.
Then my other booking was at Radisson la paz bolivia and there was no such offering. I think it depends of how fully booked is the Hotel at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.