Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Radisson Blu Polar Hotel, Spitsbergen

With the CC points flowing like rain, I have been looking for a place to go. I found the R Blu Polar and think this is a must do place. Has anyone been here? Thoughts? 24h of dark in winter and 24h of light in summer? [for certain periods of time].

Cheers -
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Been there a few years ago. it was during summer with 24h sun with amazing colors all around and nice weather just above 0c so you can do lots of outside activity. I am planning to go back there in the winter with moonlit sky and the aurora borealis. I will be looking into Radisson for sure. It's good, nice breakfast which was identical to the breakfast you get in any Radisson in Norway and OK rooms and you can say you've been to the most northern hotel in the world!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
That sounds wonderful - thanks. And please let me know how your winter trip turns out

Cheers

Originally Posted by shock78
Been there a few years ago. it was during summer with 24h sun with amazing colors all around and nice weather just above 0c so you can do lots of outside activity. I am planning to go back there in the winter with moonlit sky and the aurora borealis. I will be looking into Radisson for sure. It's good, nice breakfast which was identical to the breakfast you get in any Radisson in Norway and OK rooms and you can say you've been to the most northern hotel in the world!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:00 pm

I have been there twice once in august with temperatures of +2c and last february with _20c the radisson is nice but quit old rooms but good breakfast try to get a weekend extender or carlsonf rate a stay of 3 days will be enouhg for this small town.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
And it is easy to access with SAS flights, for which you can also burn points. I'd suggest also stopover in Tromso enroute.

Hotel is nice indeed, was there in December for extended weekend few years ago.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:40 pm

I'm burning some of my CC points for a reward stay here, the rates can be on par with the nice properties in London & Paris.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Just remember that you need some really good winter clothes if plan to do any activities (snow scooter etc), might cost more than the airfare and hotel

Pretty good award availability on SAS, so Star Alliance award is the best way to fly. Non award tickets are expensive.

Weekend extender is best value for money.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I am planning on going next summer - will also be using 2 nights on points.

One hell of an expensive place!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Booked to go there this May 2013.

Here's a blog post with plenty of pictures
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/points...l-spitsbergen/

Also, SAS domestic Eurobonus award flights are great value LYR-OSL is just 6000 one way, 10k return. SAS is an Amex MR partner so easy to transfer points.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:00 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by nimenime
I'm burning some of my CC points for a reward stay here, the rates can be on par with the nice properties in London & Paris.
Secured a few reward nights for 50k/night
Nightly rate is about $560 for the same dates ^

Club Carlson is hard to beat these days.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:22 am

Anyone know how strict they are with the occupancy? There are 3 of us travelling and with points I can only book a 2-person room.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by glynot
Anyone know how strict they are with the occupancy? There are 3 of us travelling and with points I can only book a 2-person room.
Book a standard room for two people and them email the hotel to ask for a "One Bedroom Apartment". These are the same price as a standard room but have "1 bunk bed and 1 double sofabed in livingroom".

I'm returning for a winter visit and have found the rates to be a very reasonable 920 NOK = 150 USD per night. Combine that with the 241 or 442 elite offers and there's some serious value to be had.

Last edited by 21H21J; May 5, 2014 at 2:20 am
Old May 5, 2014, 11:49 pm
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by glynot
They are no very strict, also they have pretty good breakfast
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:04 pm

According to the Hurtigruten website (operator of the hotel) the Polar has completed renovations of the main building and reopened it as of February 1st. I also notice their TripAdvisor ratings and reviews have been completely cleared out in the last week. I guess they want to start with a clean slate?

Local media report “a number of discrepancies” in the inspection on 1/31 including missing credentials for those working on the renovation.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I couldn’t find a newer one. Feel free to split / merge as appropriate.
the810 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:03 am

Has anyone had a stay here in the last couple of years. Just wondering what the rooms are like now as they appear to have been refurbished since I was last hear seven years ago.

The rates are a lot less reasonable now at 70k per night for a standard room, and no 241 or 442 to make a cash booking worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.