FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Has QR now given up on A380 F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2077812-has-qr-now-given-up-a380-f.html)

binman Jul 30, 2022 2:40 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica (Post 34470658)
Did you pay for F or use points for an upgrade?

Paid F but it was originally a BA ticket

tav1989 Jul 30, 2022 2:26 pm

Great review of QR A380 F product - whilst not the most lavish in terms of seats / cabin I always found the crew to be on point and deliver to the highest standard. Also still love the bar area - when I last travelled in F the CSD ( or whatever they call them ) insisted she bought the Krug and bollinger rose bottles down to the bar so we could enjoy it there to. A nice touch . It such a shame QRwill take these out of service as soon as they can due to efficancey issues - though I have heard / seen they are filing the a380s on most routes these days hence lhr and bkk getting two rotations each day . Paris has one as well .

ChasingDaylight Jul 30, 2022 10:17 pm

binman
Appreciate the photos, on the A380 in the not too distant future so very happy to see some recent snaps!

seanp7 Jul 31, 2022 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tav1989 (Post 34472291)
Also still love the bar area - when I last travelled in F the CSD ( or whatever they call them ) insisted she bought the Krug and bollinger rose bottles down to the bar so we could enjoy it there to. A nice touch .

Thank you for this info; I'm going to try to do this in Feb 2023 DOH-SYD (fingers crossed) as the bar area looks really fun and a nice place to break up the long flight.

Greenpen Aug 1, 2022 3:02 pm

But the bar is a J bar not a F one. They brought a F wine back to me in the bar too but notwithstanding that it is a very good place to pass the time chatting to J passengers!

littlevoices Aug 1, 2022 8:25 pm

Thanks for the nice pictures binman , nice to see what I missed, as I was on the DOH-BKK flight recently in J. Picking up the thread on the bar, I sat at the back to try and make the most of that space, however in the end myself and pretty much the whole aircraft just slept (since the timing is definitely more designed for sleeping, with the departure at 2am and the arrival at 1pm). I Chatting to the FA in the bar she mentioned only one or two passengers used it, so its very quiet.

In my case I was keen to try the QR A380F, but at the time they wanted USD12k or 180k Avios for the upgrade from J for 2 people (J ticket purchase price was about USD5k) which was a bit punchy for my internal value calculation. Seems they priced it correctly though as far as I could tell the whole plane was full in all classes.

Having then taken Emirates F from BKK-HKG a week later I can understand the preference for their product on this route... (I'd taken QR F from DOH-MLE on the CX flights a month before, main perk being a lot of caviar, disadvantage being having to wait for an hour on the tarmac for one of those "2nd tier royals" who decided to board late, then get stuck sitting in J....) - EK had more bling than QR, similar wine list (I felt) and since its the "old" F with 8 seats a product that is going to be gradually replaced.

So based on this experience, plus the CX F, I would suggest QR just gives up on F and focuses on QSuite on all their remaining airframes, good differentiation from EK in that their QSuites are better than EK J :). I guess that gives us a year or two more to enjoy the A380 till QR scraps it.

IntrepidAfrican2 Aug 2, 2022 2:36 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 34234291)
I don't think that is true. QR has 21 weekly flights to BKK (including an A380) and 10 to HKT. BKK is also the doorway to many other Thai destinations, now that entry is quite open.

We’re discussing Middle Easterners, not tourists in general. I’ve lived in the region since 2006, and know many locals. I don’t know many who go to BKK, and you can fly directly to other cities in Thailand.

kittiyut Aug 2, 2022 6:15 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 34478520)
In my case I was keen to try the QR A380F, but at the time they wanted USD12k or 180k Avios for the upgrade from J for 2 people (J ticket purchase price was about USD5k) which was a bit punchy for my internal value calculation. Seems they priced it correctly though as far as I could tell the whole plane was full in all classes.

If I was offered 90k/Pax to upgrade into F, I would've jumped on it in a heartbeat (but would definitely not pay $6k)

Andrew35K Aug 8, 2022 2:37 pm

I was intrigued to see that QR indeed sells a number of F seats on the A380 routes to Bangkok. Looking at seat availability for this month it looks like quite many days have one or more seats sold in F. Wonder if it is the same on the other routes and if this has any bearing on the quality of F service.