Wiki Posts
Search

Has QR now given up on A380 F?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Has QR now given up on A380 F?

I realise the writing has been on the wall for F for a little while with AAB openly stating QR’s focus in future will be creating the world’s best J rather than a leading F product. However, I’ve always enjoyed my A380 F flights on QR in the past. I flew CDG-BKK last week, the food on CDG-DOH was excellent as always (from DOH less so) and the latest QR F wine list is pretty good. However, lots has changed for the worst vs. pre-COVID. No Arabic dates and coffee service on CDG-DOH (not sure if this was deliberate or the crew forgot), same amenity kit and horrible pajamas as J these days, baggage at BKK came out intermixed with a lot of J baggage so I don’t think QR are bothering to load F baggage separately any more. Is there a plan to bring any of this back? I know I’m fussy but that’s the whole point of F surely, between that, the lack of decent lounge access and the horrible departure time from BKK currently I cancelled my return flight and rebooked on EK. If QR want to turn F into upgrade class similar to e.g. AA that’s fine but I can’t imagine it’s in their economic interest if they intend to keep the A380 flying now.
kittiyut and SW7London like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If QR want to turn F into upgrade class similar to e.g. AA that’s fine but I can’t imagine it’s in their economic interest if they intend to keep the A380 flying now.
I've been looking for upgrades from J to F, but QR tells me "It's not available for the time being". So no, doesn't look like it will be upgrade class, either, for a while.

-A
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I could upgrade to F from DOH-BKK with Qcredits. Flight is next week and i booked last week.
So upgrade space is available. You just have to search a bit. Before i booked i checked at what day there is upgrade possible.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Crisu69
I could upgrade to F from DOH-BKK with Qcredits. Flight is next week and i booked last week.
So upgrade space is available. You just have to search a bit. Before i booked i checked at what day there is upgrade possible.
I spoke to someone in Doha on the phone last week. She checked with a supervisor, and she said inventory for upgrades with QCredits was available on my flight, but they had disabled upgrades. They also said QCredits were stricly allowed to be done online and they could not do it on the phone. I've been looking online and it doesn't show up as upgradable.

-A
florin likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 3:29 am

Before you book your flight, check if award space for first is avaiable like in the pic.

If it show "2× Avios", then you cant upgrade from biz to first.

Because i was flexible regarding my flight time/day i just searched a bit to find a day on which first award space was available same on the pic above. Booked in J and right after booking upgraded online to first with my Qcredits which was confirmed instantly
Now i am on 01A :-)
Old May 2, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)

Before you book your flight, check if award space for first is avaiable like in the pic.

Because i was flexible regarding my flight time/day i just searched a bit to find a day on which first award space was available same on the pic above. Booked in J and right after booking upgraded online to first with my Qcredits which was confirmed instantly
I try to get the same out of BKK on 2nd of June, but 3 seats already occupied in F and we are 3 (as family) as well, so I guess no chance for getting it online done. Let´s see maybe at checkin I will be "lucky" ;-)
Old May 2, 2022, 9:45 pm

Is there an upgrade chart available? How much roughly would it be for SYD-DOH.

currently in J booked using 90K AsiaMiles (SYD-DOH-LAX)

looking to upgrade to F on the SYD-DOH leg.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller999
I try to get the same out of BKK on 2nd of June, but 3 seats already occupied in F and we are 3 (as family) as well, so I guess no chance for getting it online done. Let´s see maybe at checkin I will be "lucky" ;-)
Thanks for the tip.
It looks like the day prior to my departure there is inventory that isn't 2x. Sadly that means having to deal with QSuite on my next leg if I move my dates. Right now my legs are showing 388 and 788, which means no QSuite (unless they swap aircraft, which we know almost never happens. ). I'll check my options closer to departure, to see how I can angle this better.

-A
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi everyone
On the Doha to BKK route Is J to F worth the 44500 avios upgrade? This is what they are quoting me! I have never upgraded from J to F before, any feedback is most appreciated.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Baresi
Hi everyone
On the Doha to BKK route Is J to F worth the 44500 avios upgrade? This is what they are quoting me! I have never upgraded from J to F before, any feedback is most appreciated.
Since first in A380 will disappear at some point i would say: Yes, just one time.

In the end it is a personal preference. You can watch some youtube videos about QR first in A380 and then decide if it is worth the miles or Qpoints for yourself.
For some people it is, for some it is not and they prefere to use to miles for J upgrade or buy economy ticket instead.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for info i will take a look on you tube before deciding 👍😎
Old May 4, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Sorry that was me 😉 upgraded as soon as the flight changed to A380.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by kl1987
Sorry that was me 😉 upgraded as soon as the flight changed to A380.
😂 lucky you :-) enjoy it!
I hope, finally, we will see each other there ;-) but I am not too optimistic :-(
Old May 4, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Baresi
Hi everyone
Like said above, do it at least once.

The upsides vs biz are mostly that it's a smaller cabin, it's more quiet, and unless your fellow passengers in the cabin are high maintenance, then it's a nice way to travel.
For me the catering doesn't really stand out vs what you get in biz, the wine list might have some better wines (and I'm no fan of Krug so I barely touch it).

If you manage to be in F alone it's very nice. Last time I was in F it was only me and some guy with a very american sounding name, Al B.

-A
SW7London and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:36 pm

Would love to understand the rationale why QR fly F to BKK of all places, given most airlines struggle to with the yield on BKK.

Its not as if QR have much of a F network! It could just be effective use of some A380s given its a relatively short flight, but even pre covid F was on the BKK route.

Cashed up Qatari's going to BKK? Cant imagine much F transfer pax from LHR/CDG?

QR F is great, although hard to enjoy the food, service and seat for sleeping given the current short flights!
kittiyut likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.