Search

Business Upgrade doesn't make sense

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold
Business Upgrade doesn't make sense

Hi,
After being screwed around by BA, I decided to cacel and book my wife and child on Qatar from BKK to LHR in economy on 5th Dec.
Total cost was 48,980 baht. For the purpose of this post, I'll convert everything to pounds, £1,224 return

I've received an Email from Qatar offering an upgrade to Business on both legs (BKK>DOH, DOH>LHR) for an additional £1634 one way. Assuming I get the same Email for the return flight then the total cost would be £3268 plus the original Economy cost of £1224, total £4492...and yet.....I can book the same return flights in business on their website for 143,560 baht which equates to £3,589

Is this normal as it sounds like I am being ripped off.?
Needless to say I will NOT be taking them up on their offer
Kevin Weldon likes this.

Last edited by chelseastu; Nov 21, 2020 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by chelseastu
Hi,
After being screwed around by BA, I decided to cacel and book my wife and child on Qatar from BKK to LHR in economy on 5th Dec.
Total cost was 48,980 baht. For the purpose of this post, I'll convert everything to pounds, £1,224 return

I've received an Email from Qatar offering an upgrade to Business on both legs (BKK>DOH, DOH>LHR) for an additional £1634 one way. Assuming I get the same Email for the return flight then the total cost would be £3268 plus the original Economy cost of £1224, total £4492...and yet.....I can book the same return flights in business on their website for 143,560 baht which equates to £3,589

Is this normal as it sounds like I am being ripped off.?
Needless to say I will NOT be taking them up on their offer
Indeed the upgrade offer is not attractive.
Note that business pax get to travel in Y on their company account. They are major user of upgrade with miles or cash.
Also note that current times are not normal. Pricing is often weird as some flights are limited to few "repatriated" nationals.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed the upgrade offer is not attractive.
Note that business pax get to travel in Y on their company account. They are major user of upgrade with miles or cash.
Also note that current times are not normal. Pricing is often weird as some flights are limited to few "repatriated" nationals.
It's also the case that as a ticket holder, assuming your ticket isn't freely refundable, you are now a captive customer. They are trying to upsell you services knowing that you have limited practical options to go elsewhere unless you pay the cancellation fee on your ticket. So the pricing of any upgrade at this point is frequently more the price of buying the enhanced cabin in the first place, unless the airline has their own motive to move customers from Y to J.

And as brunos points out, it's a very unusual situation at the moment and the standard algorithms that will govern pricing which would be usually influenced by predicted yield or profit on a specific flight or route are all over the shop.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed. Why would the upgrade have to cost less than current business inventory?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. Why would the upgrade have to cost less than current business inventory?
As far as I know upgrades to business do not include lounge access and mileage/luggage rules are according to the Y-booking. If the current business invdntory offers a better price then a ticket change might make more sense than accepting the 'offer'.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:35 am
Suspended

It might. My point was that the offer doesn’t need to make sense.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It might. My point was that the offer doesn’t need to make sense.
Of course they are free to charge any price. If they want to sell the upgrade it should be sensible however.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: QR
You can negotiate the price at the airport. You might get a good deal if there is availability just before the flight. Which there usually is nowadays...
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toz100
Of course they are free to charge any price. If they want to sell the upgrade it should be sensible however.
Yes, my thoughts exactly, if they offered a deal that was reasonable, I would probably take it but not at this price.

I get these are crazy times...
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bratensauce
You can negotiate the price at the airport. You might get a good deal if there is availability just before the flight. Which there usually is nowadays...
If it was me, I'd try to upgrade at the airport but its the missus who's flying...
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toz100
As far as I know upgrades to business do not include lounge access and mileage/luggage rules are according to the Y-booking. If the current business invdntory offers a better price then a ticket change might make more sense than accepting the 'offer'.
To be honest, I had no intention of booking them in business but when I saw the email I did consider upgrading them until I worked out the cost.

If I do upgrade them, I'd probably cancel the original ticket and rebook, I'd still save myself £600 or so...
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

So to add to this. I have received another Email to upgrade the flight.

First Email offer :-

The NEW email is even better

So by declining the first offer, its now got more expensive...
Some deal!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's normal that the price is fluctuating as availability could change at anytime.
Although, I don't know how the AI decides how to price those upgrades.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chelseastu
So to add to this. I have received another Email to upgrade the flight.

First Email offer :-

The NEW email is even better

So by declining the first offer, its now got more expensive...
Some deal!!!!
it’s not a significant price increase from the previous offer. My guess is that this has got to do with some exchange rate fluctuations
MSPeconomist, JC880 and Aston100 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended

Revenue management is usually a bit smarter than you. They are playing a game of offering you the opportunity to upgrade against what they see/percieve as current demand for new bookings. They don't give upgrades away for a pittance just to fill up. premium cabin.
ISTFlyer and chelseastu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.