FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Best use for expiring QMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2016846-best-use-expiring-qmiles.html)

ChocolateFactory May 2, 2020 3:24 am

Thank you! The problem with the EasyDeals that I see is you can only book a short time out, right? So even if they made new deals available, it would probably be for travel in August/September or so? I doubt there will be many one would be able to travel to.
Are there any OK redemptions left with partner airlines?

Matt4 May 2, 2020 4:59 pm

You can use them to buy a ticket with the Qmiles+cash option or transfer them to Accor points if you don’t have any other use of your Qmiles before they expire...

mlqsko May 2, 2020 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4 (Post 32344135)
You can use them to buy a ticket with the Qmiles+cash option or transfer them to Accor points if you don’t have any other use of your Qmiles before they expire...

Transferring to Accor is a terrible idea.

Only good option you have is to book a flight well into the future.

ChocolateFactory May 3, 2020 12:03 am

Yes, booking well into the future is what I want to do. But Cash&miles is probably pretty bad value, too.
Thus my question: What would be better value?

beepee May 3, 2020 9:29 am

Are you located in the UK , maybe useful to spend the miles on tickets with British Airways.

mlqsko May 3, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 32344626)
Thus my question: What would be better value?

Well, book something with qmiles?

ChocolateFactory May 3, 2020 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 32346406)
Well, book something with qmiles?

LOL. Obviously. Thus my question, what can you still get for 81k when there are no EasyDeals? I think for ~70k you used to be able to fly from Europe to Australia in business class, but I understand those times are over and not coming back.

realgaga May 4, 2020 5:45 am

It's usually a better deal to book with a OW partner than with QR themselves

ChocolateFactory May 4, 2020 5:47 am

That’s what I thought, too (post devaluation).
But no suggestions for what you can still get for 81k?

beepee May 5, 2020 4:56 am

Check,the qq calculator on the privelege website

example 75.000 qmiles gets you a economy return ticket on British Airways. LHR to New York JFK

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/P...alculator.html

ChocolateFactory May 5, 2020 6:52 am

LOL, what a bargain. Are you aware that ~70k used to get you from Europe to Australia in business class?

I was hoping someone might have some insight into which routes might still be a good value. I'm not too keen to just plug in dozens of random routes into the QCalculator...

maxvor May 5, 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 32349960)
LOL, what a bargain. Are you aware that ~70k used to get you from Europe to Australia in business class?

I was hoping someone might have some insight into which routes might still be a good value. I'm not too keen to just plug in dozens of random routes into the QCalculator...

It might be difficult to guess what is good value for you, cause it depends on many factors: where you are based, where you need to be, how often you need to travel in other regions.
From the top of my head:
Europe to US in J on AA should be 70K Qmiles one-way
Japan to HKG on Cathay is 75K in F one-way
Intra-Europe should be 15K in Y one-way on most partners

ChocolateFactory May 5, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by maxvor (Post 32350725)
It might be difficult to guess what is good value for you, cause it depends on many factors: where you are based, where you need to be, how often you need to travel in other regions.

Most of my longhaul travel is for leisure and I am flexible. I have lots of miles in other programs as well. I just want to get a good deal. Back in the days, my plan was to burn the miles on a flight from Europe to Australia (or vice versa).

From the top of my head:
Europe to US in J on AA should be 70K Qmiles one-way

Finally some suggestions! Thank you so much. That's actually not too bad.

Japan to HKG on Cathay is 75K in F one-way

That's quite expensive. Should be significantly cheaper through CX or BA.

Intra-Europe should be 15K in Y one-way on most partners

That's quite ok, too. If only IAG didn't sell Avios so cheap all the time...

maxvor May 5, 2020 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 32351161)
Most of my longhaul travel is for leisure and I am flexible. I have lots of miles in other programs as well. I just want to get a good deal. Back in the days, my plan was to burn the miles on a flight from Europe to Australia (or vice versa).

Finally some suggestions! Thank you so much. That's actually not too bad.

That's quite expensive. Should be significantly cheaper through CX or BA.

That's quite ok, too. If only IAG didn't sell Avios so cheap all the time...

Keep in mind that PC's partner awards are actually distance-based, even though QR took down the charts. So you are very likely to find the best value in the very short flights or in the very long ones, the latter most probably not suitablebfor you given you only have 81K qmiles.
To me the most interesting part is the ability redeem for S7 flights in Russia east of Urals, something non-available to me via AAdvantage or due to my hatred of surcharges pushed down your throat by BA.

Sisyphus1carus May 9, 2020 12:04 am

The problem is there aren't really any sweet spots left which are usable by the majority of people.
As you say Qatar devalued their QMiles so much it became a disincentive to collect their miles.

If this Chinese bioweapon hadn't hit everywhere I'd be happy to use mine on an Easy Deal but the travel period, as you say, is too short. They should extend the travel period to later in the year/early 2021 to encourage bookings.

I was able to enjoy numerous redemption trips in the early days of QMiles in J and F all over the place, it was fantastic and not really sustainable but they went too far and gutted the programme completely :-(
I've also used QMiles for BA J to Cairo since the devaluation and a QR return J LHR-BKK for my father (huge amount of points !) also transferred some to Accor (which is better than losing them !) .

I have about 100K expiring sometime in July.
If I can't find a redemption I want I will bang them into Accor again. Shame but better than losing them.
Problem is I have a nasty chronic back & neck problem which causes me very serious pain, travelling long distances in economy is just an absolute no-no, I'd be crying and ruined for a week. Finding J redemption for reasonable numbers of QMiles (and the numbers you & I have) requires 40/50% off the now standard exorbitant number of QMiles so unless QR run a large 50% off promo we're stuck with the short travel periods of Easy Deals.

It would be nice to see QR extent our QMiles for free during this pandemic, but then other than in the sky they are a pretty poor company when it comes to customer service :-(

I used to be Platinum and not worry about expiring miles as I used them all the time but also a Plat perk is no expiry date. They should extend that to all members at the moment really.

If you find any sweet spots please let us know.
​​​​​
Good luck and I hope a few more suggestions come in for you. I used to know the programme & route costs really well but after they decimated the award table I lost interest, it encouraged me to look outside Qatar Airways - which is the opposite of what a loyalty programme should do !!