FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Best use for expiring QMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/2016846-best-use-expiring-qmiles.html)

Sisyphus1carus Jan 11, 2020 3:30 am

Best use for expiring QMiles

Hello, have all my QMiles expiring in June and am wondering if the collective hive mind of FT can advise of a business class redemption available for booking for somewhere (other than just Doha) from UK or anywhere in the EU at the moment for anytime this year for just shy of 140K QMiles ?

Thanks in advance :-)

Sisyphus1carus Jan 11, 2020 3:31 am

If not, anyone have any good options for using the points ? Could always convert 100K into All Accor points I think.

stargold Jan 11, 2020 4:19 am

I converted mine to Accor; it was too much hassle to have to look for availability, look for pricing, then to submit online form to book, etc etc. Made worse by the fact that the redemption rates are very expensive to begin with.

realgaga Jan 11, 2020 5:20 am

Redemption on partners are cheaper.

Sifaan Jan 11, 2020 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus (Post 31936244)
Hello, have all my QMiles expiring in June and am wondering if the collective hive mind of FT can advise of a business class redemption available for booking for somewhere (other than just Doha) from UK or anywhere in the EU at the moment for anytime this year for just shy of 140K QMiles ?

there are some easy deals with 50% off on business these days (including some ex-EU), if you are good to travel by end March

if the available destinations don’t suit your fancy (or the availability is not good) wait for the next round of easy deals

lost_in_translation Jan 11, 2020 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Sifaan (Post 31936600)
if the available destinations don’t suit your fancy (or the availability is not good) wait for the next round of easy deals

If you are just looking to get rid of your miles and be done with QRPC I would suggest this isn't the best strategy as there could always be a devaluation by then (I see double Qmiles are available yet again for bookings currently).

Fromager Jan 12, 2020 3:52 am

If you are really flexible and planning to visit East Asia, I would suggest a different approach. You can use these Qmiles on multiple one way business/economy class redemptions with partner airlines (Cathay, Japan Airlines) between Japanese cities and Taiwan or Hong Kong. During Golden Week last year, I remember seeing one way flight between Japan and Taipei/ HKG going for a minimum of $700. Compare this with Tokyo-Taipei which I had booked for 20K Qmiles in Economy (Business was 40K)

AbuCordoba Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am

I highly suggest you look into easydeals, I booked quite a few under the current promo and made them quite reasonable value!

lifeonthego_k Jan 12, 2020 11:20 pm

As QR's partner award chart is based on miles flown you can create some interesting itineraries - FRA-HKG-FRA flying CX J will cost you 170k Qmiles (vs. 251k Qmiles on QR metal). If you can transfer in 30k miles from a credit card, this will be a good use.

Silver Falcon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 am

As many have commented before - use them with Easydeals where you can effectively have double Qmiles (279,418) to use , assuming you get 50% on all you redemptions

SF

Sisyphus1carus Feb 16, 2020 3:37 am

Anyone know when the next lot of easy deal destinations will be released ? As of today still says "Book by Jan 31st" :-(

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...Easydeals.html

Need to use up my Qatar points.

railways Feb 16, 2020 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus (Post 32077499)
Anyone know when the next lot of easy deal destinations will be released ? As of today still says "Book by Jan 31st" :-(
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...Easydeals.html
Need to use up my Qatar points.

Just had an email the other day - current batch is book by 29th Feb, travel until 30th April.

Sisyphus1carus Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks railways, I must be losing my mind !

ChocolateFactory Apr 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Best use for 81k expiring QMiles

I have ~81k QMiles that are expiring on June 30.
I don’t usually credit flights to QRPC, so I’m not familiar with the program. The miles have been sitting in the account since a 5x QMiles offer a couple years ago and all I know is that there was a massive devaluation in 2018 or so.
Are there any sweet spots left? Is there a way to keep the miles from expiring, except paying a ridiculous amount of money?
Thanks in advance!

a9504477 May 2, 2020 2:45 am

QR used to run their EasyDeals (https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...Easydeals.html) where the required miles were roughly on par what you paid pre-devaluation. However currently there are none (page tells to book by end/January). You can check in the qcalculator the number of miles required for award travel or upgrade for any route but i'm not sure if these days there are routes where the required miles are 1x (ie. the number shown in qcalculator) rather than 2x (twice that) if there is availability at all. Apart from that you can see if you can agree a trade in the coupon connection thread.

As for miles not expiring that's only possible for Platinum members as far as i know.