Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer security check at DOH or not

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Transfer security check at DOH or not

I have a question about the DOHA airport transfer security checks.
I will be flying between Thailand and London on Qatar via Doha.
The last time i did this was over a year ago but if i remember correctly i did not had to go through the transfer security check point for my transfer.
When i stepped out of the airplane (at the terminal bridge) we where directed straight away upstairs to the departure terminal as long you had your boarding pass.
Can somebody conform that this is still the case (both ways) and if this is also works when they are using a remote parking and you are bused to the terminal.
Al information is welcomed off-course.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Your experience is not typical for a transfer at Doha. Occasionally, flights are selected at random to bypass security. I transit it Doha 3-4 times per year (for five years), and I've never had this happen.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:33 pm

Possibly it was when coming from the UK (via random selection); less likely when coming from Thailand.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Possibly it was when coming from the UK (via random selection); less likely when coming from Thailand.
Surprisingly when it happened to me was every time from Thailand.
nilsfr69 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by merijn
Surprisingly when it happened to me was every time from Thailand.
Yes, I'll second that. My last three flights from BKK have not required any transfer security at DOH.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It can happen from anywhere remotely safe I think, and apparently, QR considers BKK in that category. As others mentioned, I think that it is a random pick every day affecting a handful of flights which are spared transfer security. I have no idea what is the logic behind that odd system but of course, it means that nobody can confirm that it would happen on any given flight which I suppose is precisely the point!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There is a published list which changes on a daily basis.

However, some airports appear more frequently than others (JNB, CPT, ACC, PEN to name but a few).

Others, such as LHR and BKK, appear less often, but I've been through Secondary Security Screening from LHR (last month for example), so it's never a guarantee

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I flew BKK-DOH-MCT on Saturday and we were all sent to the security check lines.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
This was discussed before in a similar thread.

A number of flights are randomly selected to bypass transfer security. I don't think there is any logical rules (i.e flights from USA or flights from Australia) that apply.

I have had numerous of these and there seem to be no patterns that can be established. I am always happy if they open the gate and direct me straight to the Departures.

Regards,
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There is a published list which changes on a daily basis.

However, some airports appear more frequently than others (JNB, CPT, ACC, PEN to name but a few).

Others, such as LHR and BKK, appear less often, but I've been through Secondary Security Screening from LHR (last month for example), so it's never a guarantee

M
Is this published list accessible for everyone?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Obviously not.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Traveller999
It is one of the most closely guarded documents within the airline, so no.

I've seen a copy of the sheet, albeit a few weeks after the particular date, and it's pretty basic. However, if it fell into the wrong hands, it could be disastrous - hence it changes daily.

M
Traveller999 and SullyofDoha like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It is one of the most closely guarded documents within the airline, so no.

I've seen a copy of the sheet, albeit a few weeks after the particular date, and it's pretty basic. However, if it fell into the wrong hands, it could be disastrous - hence it changes daily.

M
Yes, I understand that perfectly and thats why I did ask. I did let mislead myself from the term "published" ;-) - I did tunderstand it to general....
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Silver Falcon
A number of flights are randomly selected to bypass transfer security. I don't think there is any logical rules (i.e flights from USA or flights from Australia) that apply.
Random, yes, but from a list of pre-approved aiports I understand. ie arrivals from some airports will always be subject to security, from others (the pre-approved ones) it may or may not happen.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ft101
Random, yes, but from a list of pre-approved aiports I understand. ie arrivals from some airports will always be subject to security, from others (the pre-approved ones) it may or may not happen.
Yes, but it is a fairly long list (the very fact that it includes the likes of BKK, which would not be considered on the "safe" airport list for security check purposes by most other countries gives a sense of the breadth).

I'm also not aware of any systematicity within that list, so am surprised by perceptions that some origins get it more often than others and I wonder if this might just be an artefact of frequencies (ie there are many flights a day to BKK or SIN so invariably, there is a bigger chance one of them will get on the list compared to destinations served with a single daily flight).

The only other influencing element I can think of is that even though I'm happy to be corrected if others' experience has been different, in my case, I have only had the security bypass from contact gates so destinations often using bus gates may be mechanically less likely to benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.