Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is the HIA "First" Class Lounge really that bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

I'm OWE and will be travelling in economy so I will be using this lounge in transit in Doha. I've seen lots of pictures and read lots of reviews and they all appear to be negative.

Is that because it is generally a bad lounge or is it because it is called a first class lounge without actually being a legitimate first class lounge?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

It can get really really crowded, and is nothing compared to Al Mourjan (let alone Al Safwa).

Though I guess it serves its function as a lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dvt8
I'm OWE and will be travelling in economy so I will be using this lounge in transit in Doha. I've seen lots of pictures and read lots of reviews and they all appear to be negative.

Is that because it is generally a bad lounge or is it because it is called a first class lounge without actually being a legitimate first class lounge?

Thanks!
Yes, I think that it's a pretty bad lounge, was there there several weeks ago. That said, if you're flying Y, it's your only choice, and obviously better than no lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
If not crowded its still an ok business class lounge imo, offering hot food and showers.
Traveller999 and tmac100 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Alfredbali
If not crowded its still an ok business class lounge imo, offering hot food and showers.
I agree, I have visited during non peak hours and it is fine. However, I guess most need to use it during the peak bank of arrivals and departures.

Are they still sending people to al Mourjan if the first cllas lounge is crowded?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Alfredbali
Agreed, it is nothing fancy, but it is nonetheless a space to relax, get some food (the food is okay) and have a nice shower.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It compares very favourably with the facilities you can find in some mainstream European and US airports, and is definitely a lot better in terms of F&B and service than the business-class lounge next door.

It's a perfectly nice lounge. The drawback is it can get a bit crowded at peak times. But if you hit it between "waves" it can be quite delightful: travelling from Doha last week, for a short time I was one of only three people in the place
Traveller999 and dvt8 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...for a short time I was one of only three people in the place
It was down to two when I visited in Dec 2018. The other passenger looked a bit scared on suddenly realising that he wasn't alone.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It compares very favourably with the facilities you can find in some mainstream European and US airports, and is definitely a lot better in terms of F&B and service than the business-class lounge next door.

It's a perfectly nice lounge. The drawback is it can get a bit crowded at peak times. But if you hit it between "waves" it can be quite delightful: travelling from Doha last week, for a short time I was one of only three people in the place
The only two times I have been in this lounge are when the business class one has been too full for myself and Mrs Wilsnunn to even find a seat. The first class lounge was busy on both occasions but not as heaving as the business class lounge.
dvt8 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
And you can get a Champagne there as well (but you have to ask for) ;-) at least it was like that 2 years ago, when I did visit this lounge the last time.
dvt8 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: QATAR PRIVILEGE CLUB
Originally Posted by Traveller999
And you can get a Champagne there as well (but you have to ask for) ;-) at least it was like that 2 years ago, when I did visit this lounge the last time.
Indeed you can get Champagne upon request, as well as the delicious dates they serve in Al mourjan.

Food is a bit pathetic and the Lounge itself is boring; being Y passenger I find fine for the shower.

FYI, as Platinum flying in Y, they usually divert to Al Mourjan when the OW first class lounge is crowded, it happens to me frequently
Traveller999 and dvt8 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Remember, they have the same brut Champagne as what is served in AM. They don't display it, so you'll need to ask for it.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
FWIW, I have been in all lounges at HIA. Before the "blockade" I once flew RT to Bahrain in 1st and really enjoyed the majestic Al Safwa 1st class lounge and everything it offered. Nice. Then when I first came to Doha to work I always went to the Al M lounge because the other lounges were being constructed. VERY nice. Lately, when flying UL in Business I have also been admitted to the Al M lounge. Still GREAT, but not as many food variations on offer as 4 or 5 years ago.
Now the OW Business class lounge is my standard fare. It is great and I prefer it to the OW first class lounge next door. Excellent facilities. Great food variety on offer. Alcohol - you have to ask for - no champas though. Showers and (male) bathrooms are immaculate.
The Oryx and other (Priority Pass) lounges across the way are also good, but I really like the OW Business class lounge.
dvt8 likes this.

Last edited by tmac100; Apr 7, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by tmac100
FWIW, I have been in all lounges at HIA. Before the "blockade" I once flew RT to Bahrain in 1st and really enjoyed the majestic !st class lounge and everything it offered. Nice. Then when I first came to Doha to work I always went to the Al M lounge because the other lounges were being constructed. VERY nice. Lately, when flying UL in Business I have also been admitted to the Al M lounge. Still GREAT, but not as many food variations on offer as 4 or 5 years ago.
Now the Business class lounge is my standard fare. It is great and I prefer it to the first class lounge next door. Excellent facilities. Great food variety on offer. Alcohol - you have to ask for - no champas though. Showers and (male) bathrooms are immaculate.
The Oryx and other (Priority Pass) lounges across the way are also good, but I really like the Business class lounge.
We were diverted (as OWS) from the "business" lounge to "first" lounge when travelling HKG-DOH-LHR last November. I was initially quite excited but after a few minutes was completely underwhelmed. I found both lounges very similar in terms of style and offering, but on balance preferred the business one we used on the way out as it felt more open and brighter. The food / drink setup in the first lounge felt like an afterthought tucked away at the back, whereas the business side seemed more permanent. The first lounge was also rammed - we were the last two find two seats together!
dvt8 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Kingstontoon, you have certainly summarized my experiences with the OW First lounge as compared to the OW Business lounge (which is larger and more spacious, AND brighter with MORE staff).
dvt8 likes this.

Last edited by tmac100; Apr 7, 2019 at 9:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.