Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Disaster - missed flight. Any suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disaster - missed flight. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
BTW refund charge after a no-show is USD 2,015 for QR sale business fares normally - still can be a better option than changing the ticket (GBP 2K - USD 2K >0).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Thanks everyone I will try the re rerouting for another flight later in the year as all the flights to SYD are very expensive for this weekend from everywhere. It was an R fare and all 3 agents I spoke to said that the rebooking would be in full fare J ( that was Qatar in London, Doha and US)

The previous times I’ve flown from CPH have all been on other airlines - last year was Ethiad. Yes the savings have been good
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

From all I understand, your insurance would have paid out if you actually flew to CPH.

By not flying at all, you basically throw any cover over board, do I read this correctly?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Yes that’s what they said but they have now said that they will consider it if I send all of the details. I did explain that having sat on a plane at the gate for 5 hours, it seemed pointless to get to Copenhagen as the plane hadn’t even departed when check in was closing!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
From all I understand, your insurance would have paid out if you actually flew to CPH.

By not flying at all, you basically throw any cover over board, do I read this correctly?
That's my reading. Playing with probabilities, there was always the chance that QR would be delayed at CPH.
And, after all, the OP had left a generous buffer between flights.

but i understand the OP's decision. Anxiety levels on the plane, sitting through the ups and downs of the delay, must have exhausting.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Weez
have flown via CPH more than 5 times now and never had this issue.
The more you won the more it should happen you loose...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4

The more you won the more it should happen you loose...
Maybe not so impressive in terms statistical analysis, but an understandable sentiment
polochick and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Truly sorry to hear - all us FTs do this all the time to take advantage of cheaper (premium) fares and this is perhaps the most unfortunate outcome.

Looks like you will be eligible for EU261 claims from your LON-CPH airline? Know that this seems insignificant compared to all the change fees for the QR ticket but at least this may help reduce your loss.

Good luck!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:15 am

I'm really worried about this happening to me in a couple of weeks time. Am due to fly out of Milan on Sunday 14th April, and have my positioning flight last think on Saturday 13th. Given the new Brexit cliff edge i'm on tenterhooks, and thinking about changing the booking to earlier in the day. Erk.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=kath2049;30926436......thinking about changing the booking to earlier in the day. Erk.[/QUOTE]

Day before, better still. Use some of the cash you are saving to fund a relaxing night in an MXP hotel.

There again, even that didn't save me from the disaster of a light dusting of snow on Heathrow's runways, and BA sacrificing Milan to preserve longer haul departures.
Luckily, insurance came up trumps and refunded flight and hotel costs.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Wow. I am totally feeling your pain. I flew from CPH to AKL just over a week ago at about 15.40 ish - I took the first BA flight from LHR to CPH so I had nearly 6 hours in CPH between the flights and had 2 other BA flights I could have taken to get to CPH on time, just in case of an eventuality like this.

I was lucky in that my first flight went on time - the downside of course was a long time in CPH - but I would never have thought that having so much spare time could have resulted in you missing your next flight Just goes to show that even with lots of contingency, these things can go wrong.

That's why I took out Admiral Platinum insurance (as mentioned above) as they cover separate tickets.

OP, I hope your insurers reconsider
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:37 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I was lucky in that my first flight went on time - the downside of course was a long time in CPH - but I would never have thought that having so much spare time could have resulted in you missing your next flight Just goes to show that even with lots of contingency, these things can go wrong.
I've given myself 9 hours in CPH for my next trip (landing 1255, dep 2235). I don't consider an afternoon in Copenhagen to be a downside at all!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dsf
I've given myself 9 hours in CPH for my next trip (landing 1255, dep 2235). I don't consider an afternoon in Copenhagen to be a downside at all!
Totally agree. A lovely city and you can be sunbathing by the river in less than 30 minutes
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Totally agree. A lovely city and you can be sunbathing by the river in less than 30 minutes
"river"
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
This is painful to read

But honestly this is why these days if I book separate tickets I actually arrive the day before.
If the deal is indeed a good enough one the savings will more than offset the cost of the accommodation etc.

Hope your travel insurance pays out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.