Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar cancellation for weather policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
I too am on the qr816 from DOH to HKG on Sunday.

no word from QR yet and I can’t get through to them either :/

which telephone number are people calling?
Being in HK and at a very exposed location, I watch developments.
Forecast change by the hour. After being worse an hour ago, it now gets better.
QR816 ETA of 8:35pm is well past typhoon peak estimated around 12 noon. Flights will probably be able to land by late evening. So QR might just be assessing the situation.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA silver
Penalty-free rebooking

Also booked on QR816. Have got through to the London Heathrow Office after 40 mins on hold. QR have as of this morning a policy to allow penalty-free rebooking for all flights in/out of HKG on 16 & 17th sept. 21 day range of original departure. I have just rebooked. Flight still shows as scheduled! Hope this helps!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks flyingquack.

Okay. Some progress made. Spoke to Qatar on phone. They confirm that qr816 will be cancelled. Offering to change date or rebook to destination within 500 miles. The only airport the have is Guangzhou... not trying to go there! Singapore is my final destination- on a separate CX ticket...

anwyay I am about to take my first sector from Jersey to Gatwick. Ground staff here can’t issue boarding passes for next two segments. LGW-DOH-HKG. Will have to speak to the Qatar team in LGW.. update to follow
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Thanks flyingquack.

Okay. Some progress made. Spoke to Qatar on phone. They confirm that qr816 will be cancelled. Offering to change date or rebook to destination within 500 miles. The only airport the have is Guangzhou... not trying to go there! Singapore is my final destination- on a separate CX ticket...

anwyay I am about to take my first sector from Jersey to Gatwick. Ground staff here can’t issue boarding passes for next two segments. LGW-DOH-HKG. Will have to speak to the Qatar team in LGW.. update to follow
I had the same - not particularly useful as Guangzhou is also hit. Ended up paying a fortune to change departure airport. Did anyone get a cancellation email with all the rebooking information? Qatar say they sent all info to travel agents by mine said they never received it. Now I'm stuck in the middle with each blaming each other
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brokenspirit
Does anyone know if Qatar end up cancelling the flight, do they basically just offer the next available out or would I have the option of rebooking the first segment through a different airport? e.g. would i be able to change HKG-DOH to DAD-BKK-DOH then keep my existing DOH-LHR booking? What I really want to know is whether it is worth waiting for the cancel notification (which is pretty much a definite at this stage) or to just try and get the flight changed before hand and take the hit on the fare difference
usually in case of cancellations, qr will let you change airport but only within 500 miles and usually only on Qr metal.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic

usually in case of cancellations, qr will let you change airport but only within 500 miles and usually only on Qr metal.
That's a bit of a frustrating policy in this case, as the suggested Guangzhou airport was also an area hit by the Typhoon.

Something really should be done to stop airlines profiting in cases like this, my rebooked one way journey home cost 25% more than the original return ticket. I understand the need for change fees etc, but it should not be that extortionate to change an existing booking especially given such circumstances

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.