Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok UTP to be abandoned ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Wasn't AAB quoted once (I think at the inaugural celebrations in AKL) that once QR start a route they don't stop or pull out, and they are in it for the long run?
But they have already cancelled several routes in the past, haven't they? Pretty sure about KIX, and I think they also used to fly to EWR and STR (Stuttgart).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:48 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I can book just fine from JFK
Can't see anything past Oct??
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by makrom

But they have already cancelled several routes in the past, haven't they? Pretty sure about KIX, and I think they also used to fly to EWR and STR (Stuttgart).
A quick search here for the word "terminated" shows a few routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Like with all sources on the internet, caveat emptor, but at least a few of these rings true to me. Then there is a bunch suspended due to the ongoing kerfuffle.

-A
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: QR Gold

True, KIX was terminated due to a row of increase in landing costs. EWR was due to direct nonstop to JFK from DOH, and STR they only had 3 weekly A319, whcih was commerically not viable.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
A quick search here for the word "terminated" shows a few routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Like with all sources on the internet, caveat emptor, but at least a few of these rings true to me. Then there is a bunch suspended due to the ongoing kerfuffle.

-A
Ok but most of the other (pax) destinations seem to be in war zones or blockading countries, can't really hold that against QR. Regardless, there's obviously no such paradigm at QR to never close routes. Not sure why any sane airline would make such a claim anyway. Correcting course after realizing that you are heading in the wrong direction is one of the key elements of competent management. But I guess I just answered my own question...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340
True, KIX was terminated due to a row of increase in landing costs. EWR was due to direct nonstop to JFK from DOH, and STR they only had 3 weekly A319, whcih was commerically not viable.
I think cancelling STR is very understandable. The difference of getting from Stuttgart downtown to STR rather than FRA by train is merely a few minutes. And from what I heard the ME3 are quite constrained with landing rights in Germany, so wasting flights with small planes to semi significant destinations isn't smart.
According to some sources, QR would be interested to start serving HAM, which is possibly QR's biggest gap among Europe's high pop, high rev areas. I could imagine that lack of landing rights is also the reason why EK is upping its HAM service from 777 to A380 this fall. But I guess that's a story for another day...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:25 am

I think cancelling STR is very understandable. The difference of getting from Stuttgart downtown to STR rather than FRA by train is merely a few minutes. And from what I heard the ME3 are quite constrained with landing rights in Germany, so wasting flights with small planes to semi significant destinations isn't smart.
According to some sources, QR would be interested to start serving HAM, which is possibly QR's biggest gap among Europe's high pop, high rev areas. I could imagine that lack of landing rights is also the reason why EK is upping its HAM service from 777 to A380 this fall. But I guess that's a story for another day...
QR is limited to 35 flights per week to Germany, they moved the 3 weekly frequencies from STR to MUC instead to make it double daily. Similar to what happened with NCE in the past where they moved the frequencies to make CDG 3 daily until they were awarded more rights.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by kkl

Can't see anything past Oct??
I see it on the QR website available continuously into next year.

HOWEVER, when looking at the flight details QR metal only does the JFK-DOH-HKT leg with PG doing the turboprop HKT-UTP.

I guess some may argue that since one can book through to UTP QR has not abandoned UTP but I would vote that they have.
kkl and Flying Bosun like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
QR is limited to 35 flights per week to Germany, they moved the 3 weekly frequencies from STR to MUC instead to make it double daily.
That sounds really constraining. LH must have quite some ties to the German government (whom are we kidding, of course they do).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: QR Gold
His Highness The Amir is in Germany now. Perhaps just maybe there will be aviation talks (I hope).
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QatarA340
His Highness The Amir is in Germany now. Perhaps just maybe there will be aviation talks (I hope).
that seems likely
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I just received the latest weekly-email, with ex-Thailand offers available up-to 18th September, however there is nothing at all from Utapao ... only Bangkok/Phuket/Krabi/ChiangMai.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
Or demoted to a very old 777
Or a very old 777 with QSuites, 830/831.

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I really can't understand the logic behind the UTP route. It's just as if they're deliberately igniting money (even with the subsidies that are very likely to be provided by UTP management). I'd imagine most would rather fly to BKK rather than UTP.
Not necessarily. They're different markets. One could say the same about, for example, EWR and JFK; yet CX has flown to both for quite some time. Many people going to UTP/Pattaya have little or no interest in Bangkok.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Not necessarily. They're different markets. One could say the same about, for example, EWR and JFK; yet CX has flown to both for quite some time.
Perhaps not ot the fairest of analogies
EWR and JFK both serve the same mega-metropolis, albeit from different angles, and both act as hubs.

BKK is a regional hub, serves the capital of the nation and the rather tacky resort of Pattaya just 90 minute's drive away.

UTP is a LCC target, serving only that rather tacky resort. OK, OK - Rayong industrial area might attract the odd business visitor not interested in spending any time in BKK, but that'd be hens' teeth I reckon for QR.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
many people going to UTP/Pattaya have little or no interest in Bangkok.
The hope is that there are enough of them, paying high fares to substitute the 90 minute drive from BKK for a 45 minute drive from UTP. And losing frequency benefits into the bargain.

The concept was tenable only if an extra frequency required at BKK was unattainable. The net result is cannibalisation of BKK flights, luring some potential passengers onto the direct service to UTP.
Richard Bell and makrom like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I'd have thought it might become a seasonal-route, operating only when the biggest flow of tourists seeking winter-sun is running, ie the European winter ?

But no sign of that so far ... the current online-adverts on Thai-sites are all on Bangkok Airways to Phuket, then onwards on QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.