Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways announces financial loss

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Qatar Airways announces financial loss

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/...loss-1.2184359

Last edited by msm2000uk; Mar 7, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Create Hyperlink
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:12 am

Is anyone surprised by this?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Under FT Rules, could the OP please give a brief summary of the article without users having to click on the link.

M
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:16 pm

There isn't actually anything of substance in the article.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:19 pm

Reuters: Qatar Airways to report very large loss for current fiscal year: CEO (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-q...-idUSKCN1GJ1VJ)

HE AAB: “We will announce a very large loss during the current financial year which ends this month [March 31],” he said, without giving further details.

HE AAB: QR may need to appeal to state for cashflow.

Last edited by MattEvan; Mar 7, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reason: Removed snarky comment.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Reuters: Qatar Airways to report very large loss for current fiscal year: CEO (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-q...-idUSKCN1GJ1VJ)

HE AAB: “We will announce a very large loss during the current financial year which ends this month [March 31],” he said, without giving further details.

HE AAB: QR may need to appeal to state for cashflow.

No substance here, indeed.
Yes but that isn't the article that the OP linked to. However, even your own article actually states:

When asked if it was running short of cash, Baker said in an interview with Reuters TV that Qatar Airways may need to call on its state owners for extra funds should the blockade continue. “Not for the foreseeable future, but if it continues long term our shareholders will have to put additional equity into the company,” he said.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
Yes but that isn't the article that the OP linked to. However, even your own article actually states:
That's why I edited my post. You have my deepest apologies, I was wrong.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I wouldn’t worry too much - QR is the pride of a VERY rich country...

Quote from article:

When asked if it was running short of cash, Baker said in an interview with Reuters TV that Qatar Airways may need to call on its state owners for extra funds should the blockade continue. “Not for the foreseeable future, but if it continues long term our shareholders will have to put additional equity into the company,” he said.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Confirm as to why there has been a few enhancements in the last couple of months....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:56 pm

Indeed, making a loss isn't the same as being in trouble
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Indeed, making a loss isn't the same as being in trouble
I'd expect the loss to be lower in the upcoming FY given that there's no longer an element of surprise requiring them to rebook thousands of passengers to KWI, MCT, etc. and from there onto other carriers.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'd expect the loss to be lower in the upcoming FY given that there's no longer an element of surprise requiring them to rebook thousands of passengers to KWI, MCT, etc. and from there onto other carriers.
Nonetheless the DXB/AUH flights were pretty full most of the time, and probably helped filling up the LH flights out of DOH too.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by synd
Nonetheless the DXB/AUH flights were pretty full most of the time, and probably helped filling up the LH flights out of DOH too.
I didn't say that the loss would disappear but rather that the loss will be lower. QR lost a massive customer base but it's not going to cost them tons of money to rebook existing bookings. This time last year, they had thousands of passengers booked on flights that would be cancelled. Can't imagine that it was cheap rebooking passengers.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:45 pm

There you have it, QR doesn't receive subsidies, all they get is equity. I bet he could give a lengthy explanation for what the difference is for a state owned company.
Honestly, I don't really care much about the whole subsidy debate, I am just amused about the lengths that involved parties go in order to not use that term.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by makrom
There you have it, QR doesn't receive subsidies, all they get is equity. I bet he could give a lengthy explanation for what the difference is for a state owned company.
Honestly, I don't really care much about the whole subsidy debate, I am just amused about the lengths that involved parties go in order to not use that term.
100% agree, just like the US airlines dont get help from the shareholders, just the people they owe money too under Chapter 11 and of course the tax benefits. ALL airlines get subsidies one way or another, as do many , many companies as the recent tax changes in the US prove

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.