Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Does Qatar Airways serve nuts as cabin snacks in economy class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

edit: nvm

Last edited by LookNoWings135; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I believe nuts are only served up in business class. Though in economy you may find nuts in some of the meals such as cashews in some savoury meals and almond shavings on some desserts.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

edit: nvm

Last edited by LookNoWings135; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by nish81
Great, thanks. I have no problem with it as an ingredient in specific meals. Just as long as it isn't served universally as a cabin snack!
To be honest, I can't remember the last flight I was on that served a package of peanuts because of a cognizant recognition that people may have allergies.

Side rant: while I love dogs, I wish airlines would have the same respect for people who have allergies and phobias about dogs and not allow them in the cabin.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by nish81
Great, thanks. I have no problem with it as an ingredient in specific meals. Just as long as it isn't served universally as a cabin snack!
If I was in your situation I would have thought the opposite if the allergy is from eating nuts as it is so easy to know and skip the snack but difficult to know if the meal contains nuts as ingredient.

Last edited by lento; Jun 17, 2017 at 1:28 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Side rant: while I love dogs, I wish airlines would have the same respect for people who have allergies and phobias about dogs and not allow them in the cabin.
​​​​​​I haven't seen those served as snacks in a long time.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: EK Blue QR Burgundy
No peanuts served in four sectors last weekend.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
I thought they had nuts removed for security reasons
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I don't think QR serves any snacks in Economy anymore!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I believe that nuts are served as a matter of course in J. They usually come with the drink service. They are warm mixed nuts, and include peanuts.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:40 am

You should inform Qatar of your nut allergy. On both my DOH/AKL legs no nuts or dishes containing nuts (which was a nuisance given there were a couple of menu items with nuts in) were served due to nut allergy sufferers. Given the increasing prevalence of nut allergy (I believe it's something affecting >1% of Western population now.. not sure of stat in other societies) and to reduce risk perhaps nuts and dishes containing nut should be removed from the catering entirely and substituted with something else.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: QR Gold / OW Sapphire, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by Morgo
You should inform Qatar of your nut allergy. On both my DOH/AKL legs no nuts or dishes containing nuts (which was a nuisance given there were a couple of menu items with nuts in) were served due to nut allergy sufferers. Given the increasing prevalence of nut allergy (I believe it's something affecting >1% of Western population now.. not sure of stat in other societies) and to reduce risk perhaps nuts and dishes containing nut should be removed from the catering entirely and substituted with something else.
Whilst I appreciate the potential seriousness of anaphylaxis, from a commercial perspective your suggestion of completely removing nuts (and being able to guarantee that across catering outposts globally) would be nigh on impossible

There is also the question of how you enforce other passengers from not eating or bringing on board snacks containing nuts
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:45 am

I'm not saying guarantee no nuts... but very easy to avoid serving meals that contain nut as an ingredient. Take my DOH-AKL flights as an example, they simply stopped serving warm nuts and did not allow allow passengers to choose any of the menu options which had nut in it.

The main advantage of this is when you have a nut allergy sufferer on board then you don't have to restrict the menu available to your passengers on that flight.

of course you can't stop other pax bringing it on board - thats why Qatar made such a song and dance over the PA to announce nut allergy sufferer was on board and kindly not to eat any nuts for the duration of the flight.

Personally, I'd rather such restrictions weren't necessary - but given my experiences flying to AKL I'd rather have a full menu selection of non-nut dishes than to find I can only choose from a partial menu and the increased risk of not getting preferred selections.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:17 am

Actually handing out peanuts has become much less fashionable throughout the airline industry - for this very reason. I would still make it a habit to inform the airline about your allergies beforehand though.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:38 am

Morgo what you suggest as to removing allergens from all meals served onboard is completely impractical. Just think about the effect say a Gluten allergy would have!.

On https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/s...ial-meals.html QR clearly state "Qatar Airways cannot guarantee nut free meals and...".

Food allergy sufferers are very aware of their incresed susceptibility to allergic reactions in the aircraft cabin and take precautions.

OP was not asking for special treatment just trying to access risk to himself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.