FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR DOH J Lounge Hours and Sleeping Area? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1626861-qr-doh-j-lounge-hours-sleeping-area.html)

Work-Shy Nov 10, 2014 10:49 am

My observation was aimed at the OP. Don't get me wrong, I would happily while away a few hours in any lounge between connections (preferably attempting to drink my body weight in Champagne). But I don't see the value of spoiling a "special" trip by slumming it on a couch in a noisy/sub-optimal lounge when you could make the journey so much more comfortable with a decent night's sleep.

andreirublev Nov 12, 2014 8:15 am

Just got back from a trip where the outbound was a 7 hour layover in DOH from 6pm-1am and the inbound was an 8 hour layover from 12am-8am. I did the lounge on the outbound and was perfectly fine with filling hours with dining, Krug, a shower, etc. On the inbound I opted for the airside hotel and was very glad I did. The room finish-out is impressive and having a real bed was well worth it.

So I guess I don't place much concern on the incremental one hour difference, but the time of day makes a big difference.

Dan72 Nov 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by andreirublev (Post 23830691)
Just got back from a trip where the outbound was a 7 hour layover in DOH from 6pm-1am and the inbound was an 8 hour layover from 12am-8am. I did the lounge on the outbound and was perfectly fine with filling hours with dining, Krug, a shower, etc. On the inbound I opted for the airside hotel and was very glad I did. The room finish-out is impressive and having a real bed was well worth it.

So I guess I don't place much concern on the incremental one hour difference, but the time of day makes a big difference.

I have a similar connection coming up. Can you tell me how much the airport hotel was? I am about to book a good rate at a hotel in the city, was looking at the airport hotel, but they don't publish prices. Thanks.

TRAVELSIG Nov 13, 2014 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 23832470)
I have a similar connection coming up. Can you tell me how much the airport hotel was? I am about to book a good rate at a hotel in the city, was looking at the airport hotel, but they don't publish prices. Thanks.

The airport hotel is 145 euro for eight hours (or equivalent in local currency).

brahms77 Nov 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23819398)
I have been back here- anyone can go back (I think)- there are small sleeping area cubicles- you check in with the attendant once you are in the sleeping (quiet) area.

What do you exactly say to the attendant to get space for long layovers? My wife leaves next Tuesday (QR J connecting to QR J) and has more than 12 hours in DOH and she would love to have some privacy for few hours to rest.

I also have 8 hours during my trip next month, so it will be good to know if such space can be used during our transits in DOH.

zebrametalevel Nov 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by brahms77 (Post 23842662)
What do you exactly say to the attendant to get space for long layovers?

The attendant simply said to me they were available to anyone there for over 6 hours, so just ask, I guess. As you walk in to the lounge, they're in the left corner furthest away from you. They've been signed as "VIP Lounge"(!) the last few times I've been there.

Sky Fly Nov 17, 2014 3:48 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23819398)
I have been back here- anyone can go back (I think)- there are small sleeping area cubicles- you check in with the attendant once you are in the sleeping (quiet) area.

Not a sleeping area, well at least up until late Sept 2014, but a good quiet area.
These are private cubicle with 2 chairs and ottomans each and a TV. Very quiet and private....No way you can sleep these chairs.

3737ipod Nov 17, 2014 6:46 am

ive got 10 hours of this to look forward to next month.
flying in from Tunis and on to BKK in j but i hate the new lounge.
just going to have to suck it up i guess.

TRAVELSIG Nov 17, 2014 7:09 am

Originally Posted by 3737ipod (Post 23853905)
ive got 10 hours of this to look forward to next month.
flying in from Tunis and on to BKK in j but i hate the new lounge.
just going to have to suck it up i guess.

10 hours is definitely a very long time. I suppose you could walk the length of the terminal and spend some time in the duty free- personally with 10 hours I would either get a visa and head into town if during the day or if at night pay and use the transit hotel.

As far as the new lounge goes- I am not sure which part of it to hate? I personally think the restaurant upstairs is very nice and the booths with a view yet glassed in are a great idea (with a view over the lounge), the business centre is wonderful and the area near the business centre very quiet and good to relax in with its glassed in area. I can't think of another business lounge offering so many different areas etc. The shower rooms are also excellent now and remind me a lot of the new showers at the Bridge (CX lounge in HKG). 10 hours is a very long transit time- why not head into town or over to the Four Seasons, get a spa treatment, and then back to the airport for example?

3737ipod Nov 17, 2014 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23853987)
10 hours is definitely a very long time. I suppose you could walk the length of the terminal and spend some time in the duty free- personally with 10 hours I would either get a visa and head into town if during the day or if at night pay and use the transit hotel.

As far as the new lounge goes- I am not sure which part of it to hate? I personally think the restaurant upstairs is very nice and the booths with a view yet glassed in are a great idea (with a view over the lounge), the business centre is wonderful and the area near the business centre very quiet and good to relax in with its glassed in area. I can't think of another business lounge offering so many different areas etc. The shower rooms are also excellent now and remind me a lot of the new showers at the Bridge (CX lounge in HKG). 10 hours is a very long transit time- why not head into town or over to the Four Seasons, get a spa treatment, and then back to the airport for example?

To be perfectly honest i just miss the feel of the old premium lounges
you were either all in business or all in first.
everything was so simple and it felt like a premium lounge.
just trying to find a comfortable chair in the new lounge is a task in itself.
before,ask for a coffee and it was at your table in the blink of an eye.
now its sorry but this is a self service lounge,please help yourself???

now its a race to get through security and the fast track lane is anything but fast most of the time.
hundreds of passengers who are not even flying QR metal milling around because they have status in one world i believe?
in my opinion the whole ground experience has lost that premium feel for me.
im sure there are lots of QR flyers who prefer the new set up but i aint one of them.
i continue to fly QR because they still provide a great on board experience but if that starts to go i will think hard about where i spend my money.

as far as leaving the terminal for a few hours the layover is most of the night for an early morning departure so not an option.
will consider the airport hotel as you have suggested.
anyway thanks for your input TRAVELSIG,hopefully ill survive the 10 hours without to much hassle...............fingers crossed.
^