Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR DOH J Lounge Hours and Sleeping Area?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:47 am
Original Poster

QR DOH J Lounge Hours and Sleeping Area?

So on Nov 11 I'm flying JNB-DOH-IAH on a J award with an 8hr overnight in DOH (12:30-8:30). Does anyone know if the lounge is open 24h/d? If so are there sleeping areas in the lounge?

I would just like to know what to expect. I'm hoping the $220 transit hotel isn't the only option.

Cheers,

CC
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
We did this just last week, 8 hours in transit. We opted not to leave the airport to go into town and we also did not choose to stay at the transit hotel. There are no dedicated sleeping areas in the Business (Al Moujan) lounge. There are, however, long sofas here and there that some people sleep on. Recently wrote a letter to the QR chief and he replied saying that he might consider the restoration of the recliners. Hope that will materialise.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueEgg
Recently wrote a letter to the QR chief and he replied saying that he might consider the restoration of the recliners. Hope that will materialise.
Ah nice. Maybe we could do some sort of petition? Just to show him that there really is a demand...
(on a sidenote: if there was an active QR-agent on this forum, this should've been recognized a while ago.. these questions do pop up again and again)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueEgg
We did this just last week, 8 hours in transit. We opted not to leave the airport to go into town and we also did not choose to stay at the transit hotel. There are no dedicated sleeping areas in the Business (Al Moujan) lounge. There are, however, long sofas here and there that some people sleep on. Recently wrote a letter to the QR chief and he replied saying that he might consider the restoration of the recliners. Hope that will materialise.
A long couch sounds good to me. Thanks for the reply!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: BA silver
Are the beds still available in the slumber area, old first class lounge?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Do keep your eyeshade +/- ear plugs with you if you intend to sleep on the sofas. Depending on where you are situated, you may be bothered by the flashing screens and even in the early hours of the morning, the airport can be quite noisy. All the best.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
If your transit time is 8 hr or more, then QR will put you in the airport hotel for free.
I would strongly suggest against sleeping the lounge because its noisy and there are no beds, only long (not really long enough) couches.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sky Fly
If your transit time is 8 hr or more, then QR will put you in the airport hotel for free.
I would strongly suggest against sleeping the lounge because its noisy and there are no beds, only long (not really long enough) couches.
DOH-IAD leaves at 8:25 if I remember that correctly, so that puts OP at 7:55 transit time.. tough luck - but in that time, getting to and from the hotel, time to getting to sleep and back up etc., it might really be easier to just sleep in the lounge anyway. Or at least get some rest.

Also, the time from 1am - 6am or so isn't the busiest usually, so it should be reasonably quiet actually..
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
This is not correct. If your transit is 8 hours or more QR might give you a STPC. The hotel you get will not be the airport hotel. That is kept for paying guests.

More information here
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: The Embassy
Right at the end of the Al-Mwhatever lounge is a "VIP area", which is where they'll bounce you to if you're trying to have a shower and the normal showers are full up (always).

It's apparently meant for people with a >6 hour layover, and appears to be little cabins. I didn't get a good look at it. Anyone else actually seen those? Anyway, I got the idea that that's mean to be a "sleeping area", basically.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sturejan
This is not correct. If your transit is 8 hours or more QR might give you a STPC. The hotel you get will not be the airport hotel. That is kept for paying guests.

More information here

Wow, this is news to me. QR staff had told me that 8 hr transit = overnight stay at Airport hotel on QR's dime. That said, I'd take what the website says over what QR staff told me.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Wow, this is news to me. QR staff had told me that 8 hr transit = overnight stay at Airport hotel on QR's dime. That said, I'd take what the website says over what QR staff told me.
That must have been a mix-up. They provide you with a visa and usually put you up at the Oryx Rotana (or Movenpick if the Rotana is full). At least it was that way last August, when the transit hotel was already open...
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Right at the end of the Al-Mwhatever lounge is a "VIP area", which is where they'll bounce you to if you're trying to have a shower and the normal showers are full up (always).

It's apparently meant for people with a >6 hour layover, and appears to be little cabins. I didn't get a good look at it. Anyone else actually seen those? Anyway, I got the idea that that's mean to be a "sleeping area", basically.
I have been back here- anyone can go back (I think)- there are small sleeping area cubicles- you check in with the attendant once you are in the sleeping (quiet) area.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
I really don't understand why people don't stump up for a decent night's sleep. You clearly value you comfort by spending valuable cash or miles to ensure a comfortable journey in business class yet you'd happily break your journey sleeping on a sofa like a student! Perhaps I value my comfort and sanity more than others but I find it difficult to comprehend why you wouldn't just pay for a proper bed to make the whole journey that bit more bearable. Just curious and happy for feedback.

Work-Shy
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Work-Shy
I really don't understand why people don't stump up for a decent night's sleep. You clearly value you comfort by spending valuable cash or miles to ensure a comfortable journey in business class yet you'd happily break your journey sleeping on a sofa like a student! Perhaps I value my comfort and sanity more than others but I find it difficult to comprehend why you wouldn't just pay for a proper bed to make the whole journey that bit more bearable. Just curious and happy for feedback.

Work-Shy
I often book hotel rooms and do agree that a decent night sleep is surely worth the money particularly with the convenience of in-terminal such as DOH and DXB. Where I don't book hotel rooms is when I have a stopover of 3 hours or so and if I fall asleep and then reawaken I will have seriously adjusted my body clock in a way that is not helping to cross multiple time zones. A sleeping or quiet room where it is possible to relax for 90 minutes or so between flights is really appreciated in this second case- and the new QR area works well for this reason. Longer stopovers obviously the airport hotel (although why they don't offer a 4 hour walkup rate escapes me as it would generate some extra incremental revenue I suspect).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.