Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
If you have a long overnight layover at DOH, please note that QR does not follow industry standards and you might not be able to get your bags returned for your hotel stay in Doha. Most (all?) QR fares, including the most expensive First class ones, contain the following buried deep in the "08.STOPOVERS" fare rule [note: you should check the rule of your own fare]:

IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.
-----------------------------------------------
IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA THE
HIP RULE MUST BE APPLIED OR TWO SEPARATE TICKETS
NEED TO BE BOUGHT.
Print Wikipost

No short-checking luggage in DOH layover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by absoluy
Any idea if I would be allowed to short check a bag to LHR on a PEN-DOH-LHR-EDI ticket?

I fully intend to take the LHR-EDI leg on BA but want to leave my checked luggage in the LHR left luggage facilities for a few days rather than taking it to EDI (and onward from there for other separate itineraries i have booked).
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Unlikely, but the airport staff at PEN are pretty relaxed, so you may get away with it.

What dates are you flying?

M
Since LHR-EDI is UK domestic flight, passengers don't need to collect their luggage (and clear customs) at LHR? So only passport control at LHR and customs are cleared at EDI?

Last edited by Rivarix; Nov 29, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Enrich
I did manage for short checked luggage this week, when having a 20hr stop over in DOH. The itinerary is KUL-DOH-MAN. Actually, the agent in KUL only willing to check in until DOH for us, which is considered luckily. It might due to the reason that our DOH-MAN flight was next day, and I book the ticket via multi-city option instead of standard return trip option.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:50 pm

Booked by multi-city too. But only one ticket number. 23hr55min stopover.

I genuinely wasn't aware of this stupid rule, the check-in girl said because one ticket can not get luggage at DOH, I insisted I had a QR stopover, eventually called over manager who again insist that because one ticket number I couldn't. I argued the toss (since i wasn't previously aware of this stupid rule) and they just relented in the end so yeah they can do it - i guess being an .......s pays at times.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

An interesting change to the rules fot short checking in DOH has appeared in the Full fate rules link on the Select flights page of the booking engine.
"IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PASSENGERS HOLDING A NEW TRANSIT VISA HAS THE OPTION OF EITHER CHECK-IN THEIR BAGS UNTIL THEIR FINAL DESTINATION OR ALTERNATIVELY UP TO DOHA HOWEVER IF PASSENGER DOES NOT HOLD TRANSIT VISA THEN BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED-IN THROUGH TO THE FINAL DESTINATION. THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG"

This implies that you can now short check your bags in DOH for a period under 24 hours.
But you need to have already obtained a transit visa at check-in. Citizens of 80 countries have visa free access to Qatar and cannot obtain a transit visa easily. Thus this is restricted to passengers requiring a transit vias who are not citizens of one of the visa free countries.

One step forwards and two steps backwards! Well done QR!!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
This implies that you can now short check your bags in to DOH for a period under 24 hours.
Please note correction to small, but significant typo.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by remdk
But you need to have already obtained a transit visa at check-in. Citizens of 80 countries have visa free access to Qatar and cannot obtain a transit visa easily. Thus this is restricted to passengers requiring a transit vias who are not citizens of one of the visa free countries.

One step forwards and two steps backwards! Well done QR!!
Indeed, typical absurdity of QR's bureaucracy. As always, you'll be subject to the inconsistency of check in staff at outstations, meaning that those with sense will consider that obviously for citizens not needing a transit visa that should be allowed to, whilst the more rigid type will oppose a firm if absurd no because it says so even though any Qatar embassy you'd contact asking for a transit visa will simply tell you you don't need one and should stop wasting their time if you are eligible for visa free short term stay.
plunet likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:40 am

Hi all,

My friend is flying to LHR via DOH so he was wondering if he could check in his luggage to DOH instead of checking in his luggage to the final destination as he will have twenty seven hours layover in DOH. Please advise if that is possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:51 am

It should be. The rule is minimum 24hrs official although I got away with less.

If he hasnt already taken advantage of the subsidy $25 hotel https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...-stopover.html then I suggest he get signed up. I stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Doha and it was ideal, sauna/steam room in morning and then free minibus back to the airport, no checkin queues, and onwards
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by mattspod
It should be. The rule is minimum 24hrs official although I got away with less.

If he hasnt already taken advantage of the subsidy $25 hotel https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...-stopover.html then I suggest he get signed up. I stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Doha and it was ideal, sauna/steam room in morning and then free minibus back to the airport, no checkin queues, and onwards
Thanks mattspod

l will inform my friend about this situation. Your help and time is hugely appreciated!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:44 am

I am thinking about booking the following flight.:

SIN-DOH-IST-ADB. IST-ADB is operated by Pegasus Airline, rest by QR. Has anyone experience with getting the luggage in IST? And missing the IST-ADB flight by accident

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I'm flying QR843/QR307 HKT-DOH-HEL, arriving in HEL at 21:20 and continuing to BMA with AY (on same ticket) the following day at 19:40 (22:20h overnight layover). Would like to have my luggage in HEL for the overnight stay. Do you think it will be OK to have luggage checked into HEL only when doing check-in in HKT?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
What an absolutely absurd policy this is.
Started in PPT. My bag was checked through to DOH. When I arrived in AKL they pulled the bag (have a 20-hour layover) and checked it all the way to Frankfurt.
They claimed that my fare (an AA award ticket) doesn’t allow for short checking.
They said I can pay 300QAR to retrieve it in DOH....
i have enough stuff with me but such an annoying and annoying and idiotic policy.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
What an absolutely absurd policy this is.
Started in PPT. My bag was checked through to DOH. When I arrived in AKL they pulled the bag (have a 20-hour layover) and checked it all the way to Frankfurt.
They claimed that my fare (an AA award ticket) doesn’t allow for short checking.
They said I can pay 300QAR to retrieve it in DOH....
i have enough stuff with me but such an annoying and annoying and idiotic policy.
Most airlines in the U.S. don't allow short checking to connection points, either. Last time I wanted to do this I was flying BOS-LAX-NRT on AA metal. Wanted to retrieve my bag at LAX. No dice, AA doesn't allow short checking.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Most airlines in the U.S. don't allow short checking to connection points, either. Last time I wanted to do this I was flying BOS-LAX-NRT on AA metal. Wanted to retrieve my bag at LAX. No dice, AA doesn't allow short checking.
i don’t live in the US but anytime I have had a flight on a separate day (in this case it is the next day) I have been able to check to my first destination.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
i don’t live in the US but anytime I have had a flight on a separate day (in this case it is the next day) I have been able to check to my first destination.
They told me that the rule is 24 hours, not the calendar day. Things could have changed, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.