FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Her first QF flight and she gets an op-up! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/919367-her-first-qf-flight-she-gets-op-up.html)

JimmyTheJock Feb 8, 2009 3:45 am

Her first QF flight and she gets an op-up!

Had an excited call from young Miss JtheJ last night...she was boarding QF2 for a trip to SYD via BKK with her latest beau...booked in T-class...and at the gate her BP went 'BEEP' and lo and behold both were upped to J.

A text just in says they have landed in BKK and she is enjoying the experience.

Well done QF is all I can say...she is probably too pi$$ed to say anything!

Only problem now is if she does not get similar treatment on the way back she will be disappointed. :D

DownUnderFlyer Feb 8, 2009 5:19 am

Congratulations. She doesn't have a secret CL membership by any chance?

crispycrouton Feb 8, 2009 8:09 am

Have I read correctly that she got op-upped on BOTH legs? LHR-BKK and BKK-SYD?!

serfty Feb 8, 2009 4:00 pm

My guessing is that Miss JtheJ was ticketed LHR-SYD and that's what her op-up was for. I know it's basically the same thing, but I would think it unlikely she would have been op upped for only the one sector (at least not in LHR).

Rambuster Feb 8, 2009 4:06 pm

Good for her (and the beau) !

JimmyTheJock Feb 9, 2009 4:35 pm

Clarification

She was actually ticketed LHR - SYD (via BKK) - WLG with the LHR - SYD being in T and the SYD - WLG in Y and was op-up'ed on the LHR - SYD (via BKK) leg.

She has arrived and from the SMS message I received seems to have enjoyed the experience.

Since she has flown in BA's F & J cabins I await her return to find out how she found QF's product compared to those.

justin_krusty Feb 9, 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock (Post 11229732)
Since she has flown in BA's F & J cabins I await her return to find out how she found QF's product compared to those.

Does she hold any BA status off the back of those trips?

LTN Phobia Feb 10, 2009 1:14 am

OP - your girlfriend is more lucky than I am. For the first year of me as a SG and WP, I did not get a single op-op, although I did get a few last year.

Saying that, my mother who is not even a member of any FF programme gets more op-ups (including on QF but almost any random airline) than I do as a QF WP. She gets op-uped at least one sector on every international return she books. While I'm glad she gets to travel in comfort, it's bordering on annoying that she gets op-uped far, far more than I do. I have no idea how she does it, and neither does she (she never asks, she never does anything out of the ordinary) :eek:

JimmyTheJock Feb 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by justin_krusty (Post 11230470)
Does she hold any BA status off the back of those trips?

No...she has no BA status...still lowly Blue in the BAEC...and has only ever used her BA AmEx 2:4:1 vouchers and the miles she has gained through 3rd-party promotions such as Tesco Clubcard etc...she has rarely ever flown a fully paid for flight and certainly not in the past 2 - 3 years until this one!

Must be something in the genes...I myself had an op-up to F on BA earlier this week when travelling back from DEL on a ticket which was booked into T and MFU'ed to J....although I at least have a moderately shiny BA card.

MilesDependent Feb 19, 2009 8:07 pm

I've winged on here before about this. My g/f has had TWO op-ups on QF in the past 2 years out of about 5 flights. Both domestic but still. I was platinum for several years and never got a single op-up out of Qantas. Both times she was upgraded at check-in by a male she "made conversation with". Pffft... us ugly blokes don't stand a chance against pretty women :D

willyroo Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MilesDependent (Post 11289790)
Pffft... us ugly blokes don't stand a chance against pretty women :D

Looks like you stood a chance with a pretty woman, tho' :)

flashware Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by willyroo (Post 11289806)
Looks like you stood a chance with a pretty woman, tho' :)

Well picked up!